shape
carat
color
clarity

Help w/RUBY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I am looking at buy a really inexpensive ruby ring. It is very cheap, has not paper work and I plan to get it looked at by my jeweler, but I was wondering, if you guys could at least comment on it a bit based on pics....Please just comments on the pics....Once again, it is very cheap.

1.5ct Ruby
.30 Diamond
Platinum

It is supposed to be untreated. If I do buy it, it will be fully evaluated. I really want to know if it looks like a decent ruby?!

Ruby2 (3).jpg

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
More pics

Ruby (3).jpg

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Another

Ruby4 (3).jpg

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Some more

Ruby3 (3).jpg

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing wrong with an inexpensive ruby ring. The ruby looks a slightly purple in the pictures, but it''ll probably look different when you see it in real life. I''m was just looking at some ruby jewelry too. This afternoon I saw a gorgeous Bulgari three ring, 1.5 ct ruby, 0.7 diamond sides, platinum. The price? 22K.
6.gif
Hey, I''m with you on inexpensive but nice. Your ring looks nice.

widget

Ideal_Rock
In my limited experience, there ain't no such thing as a "really cheap" 1.5ct natural untreated ruby that's half-way decent to look at.

Do you mind if I ask what your definition of "really cheap" is? It's almost impossible to guess the quality of the stone from the pics, or whether or not it's natural...but it does look like a nice plat mounting... where did you find it?

I'm intrigued!!!
widget

ETA: I'm looking at the pics again, and it looks like a really shallow cut. From the side it almost looks like a 'wafer' with no pavillion...but maybe I'm seeing things...

Honestly...if I wanted a less expensive red stone ring, I'd look for something other than a ruby... rubellite tourmaline, spinel, garnet, etc...

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Whatmeworry- I wish I could spend 22k! I bet that ring is perfect!

Widget- I was thinking of buying it and then putting a different stone in it...since the mounting is worth more than the price will end out being...

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Widget- Really cheap to me is about $200-$600

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like it but am not loving it. The setting is a nice one and could be re used. To me the stone is lacking something. But, maybe it just needs to be cleaned? Could there be some muck behind it that is keeping it from looking bright or sparkly?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do my eyes deceive me?

it is as flat as a pancake; no way it is 1.5 cts.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
I found this ring in an ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Platinum-Burma-Ruby-Diamond-Estate-Ring-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ220058065741QQihZ012QQcategoryZ67727QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

It''s at $26 with less than a day left. A few things about the auction I thought were funny:

1) "Stamped, 10%IRIDPLAT"

10 percent? Did they mean 90 percent or is there something weird going on here? It should be stamped IRIDPLAT or PT900, not 10%IRIDPLAT.

2) The auction says it is an approximately 5 carat (not 1.5ct) ruby. The ruby has a chip on the girdle. It is also very very shallow, because it is highly included and would probably be opaque if it was cut to normal proportions.

3) There is something about those sidestone diamonds that is not photographing right. Is anybody else noticing this? Or am I seeing things?

These sellers are obviously very professional though -- they have near perfect feedback. They do sell high value items. And they are titanium powersellers (which I think means they sell over $150k/month on ebay).

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Yep, that is the auction...Okay, I will pass then....

I personally thought it looked pretty.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I agree Belle that description doesn''t sound good. But I think sometimes you can find nice items on Ebay. I got a cute ring w/a mystery stone the other week on Ebay. I''ll post it here to show you.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t look for inexpensive rubies, unless you want something really, really (really) small. cheap ruby=not something you should spend money on. as widget mentioned, if you want an inexpensive red stone, there are other (much better) alternatives.

best of luck!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2006 12:07:55 AM
Author: riogems
I found this ring in an ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Platinum-Burma-Ruby-Diamond-Estate-Ring-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ220058065741QQihZ012QQcategoryZ67727QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

It''s at $26 with less than a day left. A few things about the auction I thought were funny:

1) ''Stamped, 10%IRIDPLAT''

10 percent? Did they mean 90 percent or is there something weird going on here? It should be stamped IRIDPLAT or PT900, not 10%IRIDPLAT.

2) The auction says it is an approximately 5 carat (not 1.5ct) ruby. The ruby has a chip on the girdle. It is also very very shallow, because it is highly included and would probably be opaque if it was cut to normal proportions.

3) There is something about those sidestone diamonds that is not photographing right. Is anybody else noticing this? Or am I seeing things?

These sellers are obviously very professional though -- they have near perfect feedback. They do sell high value items. And they are titanium powersellers (which I think means they sell over $150k/month on ebay).

Which photo is showing the chip on the girdle, can you point me to it?

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pyramid,

In the ebay auction look at the bottom right picture. You can see something that I think looks like a chip on the girdle. I can also see a hint of it in another one of the pictures.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
If you look at the questions under the ad: There was an error in listing, the ruby is 2 cts not 5 cts. THAT is one heck of a mistake to make. I wouldn''t buy a sandwich from these selllers! On top of that, the "diamonds" look weird and the "platinum" doesn''t shine. I would not excuse the appearance of these things to poor photography. Someone selling "high quality" jewelry should know how to photograph it.

I''ve bought and sold on ebay for, well, almost since they started.
2.gif

Feedback is to be taken with a grain of salt. MANY people don''t leave any FB if they''re not happy, since retaliatory negative FB is STILL tolerated by ebay...a major major error on ebay''s part. (Ex: I leave you a welll-deserved neg FB; you leave me a neg FB out of spite). When they''re selling thousands of items each year, a few neg FB''s barely make a dent in their % rating. If you are only in the 10-100''s of FB''s, a neg will make a BIG dent in your % rating...and your rating will NEVER get back to 100% once you have just one neg FB.

You can''t be too careful on ebay. I have been burned sooo many times in soooo many ways. And I am extremely cautious.

Always look at the rest of what they are selling; look at who''s bidding. Often newbie bidders may not know what they''re doing. DO check the FB. BUT, also always ASK QUESTIONS. If you get no answers, or the answers are not complete OR point out a glaring error like this 2 not 5 cts...do not bid. It''s not worth the risk and aggravation, ESPECIALLY when dealing with a foreign entity, where returns can be a big hassle: expense (lost money on shipping), and filling out export slips for the return.

JMHO
Ger

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results