shape
carat
color
clarity

Help w/ emerald cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbagrows

Rough_Rock
Hello!

My gfriend loves emerald cuts, with the "squarish" look, so I''ve been looking for stones with a length/width of 1.2-1.4. Over the weekend, I went out to look at stones - saw a bunch of emerald cuts that were all O.K., and then I found one that I really liked. The stone was extremely thin, but looked huge and beautiful. Thing is, its not an ideal cut.

1.27 ct
8.15 x 6.53 x 2.49
Depth 38.1%
VS2
Color G
Price $5,900

Am I completely nuts for even considering this stone? I really liked the stone - looked at it in all kinds of different lighting, and it looked great under the loupe. Would a stone this thin look horrible once mounted? Help! Thanks!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Is that depth a typo?

kbagrows

Rough_Rock
Don't think so . . . .

I know the dimensions of

8.15 x 6.53 x 2.49 are correct.

Thought the stone looked beautiful, but - am I nuts?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
That can't possibly be the depth!!! Does it have a GIA / EGL cert? That is not a bad price for a 1.2+ G Vs2...but there is no way to really tell...b/c price goes up for good cut quality and down for bad quality. We'd need more info to know... B

But also- I don't think anyone is ever nuts for buying a stone they think is pretty!!!! We just want you to get what you pay for...

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
read.gif
I would shop around.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Uhhh, does it have a cert? Can we get the rest of the numbers?

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/26/2004 11:32:35 AM moremoremore wrote:

Is that depth a typo?----------------

The depth is possible, pretty flat though, If you love it buy it, perhaps push for a better price.
Image is what it possibly could look like
Johan

em-flat.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure it's possible...but I don't believe it is due to the measurments of the stone...

kbagrows

Rough_Rock
OK, got the GIA cert from the jeweler this moring.

Shape - emerald cut
Measurements - 8.15 x 6.53 x 2.49
Weight - 1.27 ct
Proportions
Depth - 38.1%
Table - 67%
Girdle - Thick
Culet - Large
Polish - Good
Symmetry - Good
Clarity Grade - VS2
Color Grade - G
Flourescence - Faint

So what do y'all make of this depth? It didn't look lifeless in the store and out in natural light. Hmmmmm - Thanks!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I am really confused by this stone!
1.gif
I have to check again but it's not THAT huge for its carat weight....I have to go check some out on dirtcheap...Is the crown height way big? Dunno...calling experts...

But with regard to the depth, let's just say that there isn't even a spot for it on the gemappraisers chart . The lowest it goes is <50. That is really very bad. I just don't know HOW it COULD be a nice stone. I'm all for trusting your eyes...but do yourself a favor and check out some more.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
This would be more like it I think....

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=2597699

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results