shape
carat
color
clarity

Help w/ a Project

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am hoping that someone can help me with a project I''m sort of envisioning - its still very much in a rough, imagination stage, so bear with me if you can.

What I''m envisioning is a 5-stone right-hand ring, with Whiteflash''s "Skye" setting (link), and two ACAs.

I''d like the other two stones to be colored stones, and specifically, something with a color similar to tsavorites, or tsavorites themselves. So my question is this - its really important to me that the colored green stones have that lovely, vivid, grassy green color - I''d be happy with tourmalines that had tsav-like color, or anything else anyone cares to suggest, but I''d need three of them with approximately 4.3-4.5mm diameters, well-matched, and a deep, vivid, rich color.

Does anyone have any ideas about what species of stones to look at and where to look?

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
AG, I don''t know off-hand who you usually work with at Whiteflash, but you may want to chat with Bob Hoskins about this too. He''s our resident expert on colored stones and and may know where to point you as well.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think tsavorites would look smashing in that setting.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you''re after a vivid green color and that size, you''re pretty much limited to emeralds and tsavorites. It''s not a rule, but other stones often need to be slightly larger to exhibit a deep and vivid green.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YOu could also consider demantoid garnets, however, they can be rather soft stones........

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wink could also source some gorgeous ones for you I'm sure. Is this a job pressie???
36.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Wow - thanks you guys, those are some great leads
1.gif

NF has guessed correctly, this is a job pressie - my first "big" purchase for myself (although it won''t be THAT big, considering the economy this year and that we want to be cautious until I''m actually employed
20.gif
3.gif
).

I''ve contact Bob Hoskins, and I''ll see if I can get contact info for Harriet''s colored stone dealer - it looked like they had some gorgeous tsavorites in those pictures. Still not sure if this project will come in at budget, but its worth it to at least ask, right?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 10:27:23 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
Wow - thanks you guys, those are some great leads
1.gif

NF has guessed correctly, this is a job pressie - my first ''big'' purchase for myself (although it won''t be THAT big, considering the economy this year and that we want to be cautious until I''m actually employed
20.gif
3.gif
).

I''ve contact Bob Hoskins, and I''ll see if I can get contact info for Harriet''s colored stone dealer - it looked like they had some gorgeous tsavorites in those pictures. Still not sure if this project will come in at budget, but its worth it to at least ask, right?

Of course!!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see what you end up with - it sounds like a GORGEOUS project!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks gecko - I am happy to report I have an excellent source for the tsavorites, and am ready to move forward with the project. Just one more thing I''m debating about - the stock SKYE setting accommodates 0.30 ct stones. The 5--stone I tried on in person that was my inspiration for this project had 0.20 ct stones. I''m a tiny bit worried that the 0.30 ct stones may look too big. Does anyone have any input/thoughts on this? My right hand (where I''d be wearing this ring) is about a size 5.75, and my fingers are fairly short (actually my hands are sort of small but a bit stumpy all around).

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Anyone have any comments on the stone size here? Just trying to get a decision made on this, so any thoughts would be most welcome.
12.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 10:42:40 AM
Anyone have any comments on the stone size here? Just trying to get a decision made on this, so any thoughts would be most welcome.
12.gif

I think .20 ct stones would look great! I''m also considering a five stone band, and I was thinking .25 ct stones- my fingers sound similar to yours (size 6).

kcoursolle''s five stone band has five ~.31 ct stones, but her finger size is 4.5. Here''s her gorgeous ring:

Five-Stone U-Shaped Band

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''m a big fan of the daintier stones (my wedding band has 1 pointers, lol!) So I''d go with the smaller ones, personally.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
The only reason I might go with the larger stones is that it might give you better color in the tsavorites. You could ask the dealer what he thinks?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the input you guys. I looked it up, and the diameter difference between 0.20 ct stones and 0.30 ct stones isn''t earth-shattering - they would be 3.8 and 4.4 mm in diameter respectively. So I''m still waiting to hear back from Whiteflash, but I''m thinking it may just be easier to go with the stock setting, plus I like that in the 0.30 ct stones I can pick them out with specs myself (I know, it doesn''t really matter ''cause they''d be gorgeous anyway, but what can I say, I''m a bit of a control freak like that
20.gif
3.gif
).

Anyway, hopefully I''ll hear back from Whiteflash soon, and then I can make a decision and get the ball rolling - can''t wait to see how this turns out
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, so after looking at kcoursolle''s GORGEOUS pics, I decided that since my fingers are almost two sizes bigger than hers, and much less delicate-looking, the slightly larger stones (same size as hers) shouldn''t be overwhelming, so I''m going with those. Stay tuned for pics and further info
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 1:43:09 PM
OK, so after looking at kcoursolle''s GORGEOUS pics, I decided that since my fingers are almost two sizes bigger than hers, and much less delicate-looking, the slightly larger stones (same size as hers) shouldn''t be overwhelming, so I''m going with those. Stay tuned for pics and further info
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif

I agree, those will be perfect! Can''t wait to see the finished project!

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that''s going to be an exciting ring! Hurray for forward progress, and hurray again for the job!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results