shape
carat
color
clarity

Help w/2 Princess Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cuts33

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on these 2 stones. Both are princess cuts and graded by GIA.

I don''t have ASET or Idealscope images - just the specs. I realize there is a difference in symmetry and polish but I am wondering if there is any other reason for the big price difference. The cheaper one is also physically bigger on its face: 7.28x7.20 versus 6.98 x 6.95.

Budget is not a concern so if anyone has an opinion on which is likely to be a better performer and why I''d appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&context=&rb_flow_type=&rb_action_type_id=&item_id=AA525622

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?item_id=AB221479&search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&network_id=0cf05810a0f83094f6e9972ef21cdd34

$14068

Carat: 2.06
Color: H
Clarity: SI1

Measurements: 6.98-6.95-4.97
Length to Width: 1.00
Depth Percentage: 71.5 %
Table Percentage: 71 %
Girdle: M-STK
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None (Inert)

#2:

$11431

Carat: 2.04
Color: H
Clarity: SI1

Measurements: 7.28-7.2-4.9
Length to Width: 1.01
Depth Percentage: 68.1 %
Table Percentage: 72 %
Girdle: TN-TK
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Faint

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first looks better on paper but images such as ASET and photos of the diamond are really needed. UD might be able to provide photos on request.

JasonFaber

Rough_Rock
I do not like the 4 step variance (Thin, medium, Slightly Thick, Thick) from the Girdle in #2 diamond, nor do I like the Symmetry grade on it. But it is still hard to tell without Aset images, as they both can either have great or poor brilliance/fire. But then again, it all depends on what you want in a diamond.

Cuts33

Rough_Rock
Thanks.

Fire and brilliance is definately what it''s all about and what I''m looking for.

Does the 4 step difference and the symmetry affect it that much?

Also I''ve heard that ideally the table should be less than the depth which #2 is not even close to being.

Any truth or insight to this?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 10:36:18 AM
Author: Cuts33
Thanks.

Fire and brilliance is definately what it's all about and what I'm looking for.

Does the 4 step difference and the symmetry affect it that much?

Also I've heard that ideally the table should be less than the depth which #2 is not even close to being.

Any truth or insight to this?
Not always, these are averages of the girdle, the thick part might only be a tiny portion of the girdle and of no consequence. It is said good and above for symmetry looks the same to the naked untrained eye. And the depth being greater than the table is usually preferred. These are obviously not top cut quality Princess, but it depends on what you want. However without images there is no way to really evaluate any of these further regrettably.

Cuts33

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:46:54 AM
Author: Lorelei

Not always, these are averages of the girdle, the thick part might only be a tiny portion of the girdle and of no consequence. It is said good and above for symmetry looks the same to the naked untrained eye. And the depth being greater than the table is usually preferred. These are obviously not top cut quality Princess, but it depends on what you want. However without images there is no way to really evaluate any of these further regrettably.
Lorelei - Can you explain why you said this? I understand the possible downfalls with #2 based on the specs but not sure what you think is wrong with #1 just based off the information I gave you.

I realize nothing is definitive until I can get the images from the vendors but just curious as to how you got to your prediction.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 11:13:13 AM

Date: 3/26/2009 10:46:54 AM

Lorelei - Can you explain why you said this? I understand the possible downfalls with #2 based on the specs but not sure what you think is wrong with #1 just based off the information I gave you.

I realize nothing is definitive until I can get the images from the vendors but just curious as to how you got to your prediction.
The second one in particular has good symmetry and VG polish, top cut Princess usually have excellent or Ideal if AGS graded. The depth is larger than the table, as you know the reverse is preferred.

The first is better on paper, although the table and depth are very close, I would prefer to see the table being definitely less than the depth - but a Princess of top cut quality is rare and generally sold as such. So the first to me could be worth further evaluation and it might be a stunning diamond and what we call a ' nice make' for cut quality, but without images I need to reserve judgement as to how it looks as there is so much info missing.

Out of the two I would be most interested in the first diamond.

Cuts33

Rough_Rock
Great. I really appreciate your help and insights.

Thank you!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 11:24:18 AM
Great. I really appreciate your help and insights.

Thank you!
Glad to help Cuts!
35.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 11:17:26 AM
The depth is larger than the table, as you know the reverse is preferred.
I believe you mean the table is larger than the depth.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 11:38:12 AM
Author: Stone-cold11

Date: 3/26/2009 11:17:26 AM
The depth is larger than the table, as you know the reverse is preferred.
I believe you mean the table is larger than the depth.
Oh yes indeed - what a good catch - thank you for pointing that out!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Just to clarify Cuts, it is preferable for the depth to be greater than the table with these shapes.

I am curious SC, are you still engineering?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you mean by that?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 11:49:08 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
What do you mean by that?
I just wondered if you were still working as an engineer purely out of interest. Doesn't matter.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ya, still an engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results