shape
carat
color
clarity

Help w/ 1ct H&A egl cert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mharriso

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated. I''m considering this diamond (I was given a photocopy of the EGL Cert by the jeweler):

1.00 Cts. EGL cert, H&A, "Excellent Ideal Cut"

Round Brilliant (6.44 - 6.39 x 3.96)
Color: F, Clarity: VS2, Graining: Nil, Flourescence: None

Proportions:
Total Depth: 61.7%
Table Width: 55%
Crown Height: 15%
Pavillon Depth: 43%
Girdle Thickness: Medium, Faceted

Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None

The jeweler made a sarin report when I asked and it produced:

Diameter: 6.41 (6.37-6.43)
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown Height: 15.1
Pavil Angle: 40.9
Pavil Depth: 43.2
Culet: 0.6
Table Size: 56.3
Total Depth: 62.4
Girdle Thick: 1.0-2.7

I know EGL doesn''t have the best reputation and I can''t tell from the cert if the EGL-usa or another (I don''t see any US so I assume it is not). The most important thing to my girlfriend is that the diamond is "shiny and sparkly." I know the color and clarity may be off but the cut seems very good. Any advice? Get it appraised first? The diamond was listed at $9500 and the jeweler said he would sell it for $8900 if I paid cash. The price seems high, what would be a reasonable price? Thanks for the help.

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock

mharriso

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I''m a little nervous about ordering a diamond online. How common is ordering a diamond online and getting the ring at local jeweler?

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
And if I were you with that budget, I''d stick with GIA or AGS graded stones because they are the best in most peoples opinions. Why settle?

One more thing, these vendors don''t mind sending the stones to an independent appraiser if you are in an area where they have one they trust so you can view the stones in person. Where are you located?

mharriso

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the help. The first diamond you linked seemed great. I live in Southern New Hampshire not that far North of Boston. An independent appraiser would make me feel a lot less nervous about ordering online. With only a 10 day window, I''m not sure I can get the diamond appraised in time. How else do I match the diamond with the certificate?

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/1/2004 3:10:44 PM
Author: mharriso

Thanks again for the help. The first diamond you linked seemed great. I live in Southern New Hampshire not that far North of Boston. An independent appraiser would make me feel a lot less nervous about ordering online. With only a 10 day window, I''m not sure I can get the diamond appraised in time. How else do I match the diamond with the certificate?

How far are you willing to drive for the appraiser? Marty Haske is fabulous (he''s linked under the ''resources'' link on the top of the page). I got my diamond in and was easily able to have the stone looked at within the return window. Alternatively, you can have the stone sent directly to an appraiser for inspection (check with the appraiser and see if that''s an option).

I live outside of Boston and purchased my stone via the internet - I couldn''t find something comparable in the area without spending a lot more than I could get a stone for online. Had the setting made through a jeweler in Boston and couldn''t be happier!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know if this helps, but I purchased my diamond from whiteflash, and they have an independent appraiser very close to them (I think in the same complex they are physically located in), who is a graduate GIA gemologist and can appraise the ring for you (which is what I did). Good luck!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
P.S.

In no way do I work for whiteflash--I''m just a very happy customer, and the appraiser is an un-biased third party who does not have any vested interest in whether the diamond sells or not (as that was a concern of mine when I needed an appraisal).

synth19

Rough_Rock
I also recommend whiteflash, I know they don''t want me to advertise the specific price I spent on the stone, but I literally saved about 3k by going with a slightly smaller stone (.92) compared to yours. The stone is magnificent and you can not visually tell it apart from a 1ct stone. It''s also a "A Cut Above H&A," simply a magnificant stone!

Specs:

Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 0.920
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 62.1
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.6
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.8
Girdle: 1.0%-1.8% FACETED
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.22-6.25X3.87

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results