shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Victor's sketch idea for my pear!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Victor received my pear and emailed me to say he would love to do a vintage inspired setting and was thinking maybe a three leaf (kind of like a split band with another piece in the middle) halo.

This would have to be done in bright cut though and I think my heart is set on u cut.

I've attached his very quick sketch as honesty I'm torn between letting the master do what he does best and getting what I feel I would love......

Pear would be haloed and then three "leaves" coming up to her.

Would love help! I know it's my decision but I'm a sucker for detail and stress about this kind of thing.

Please help :)

**photo removed for privacy please upload one without your email**

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Lauren! I remember your totally dreamy pear from my lurking days! Will this be an everyday, never-leaves-your-hand ring or a special occasion piece? I think it's very brave to give your designer free reign, even one as respected as VC. I'd find it really difficult to let go of ideas I inevitably start to have on my own, but, I also think the payoff would be SO worth it, as the end result would be something truly unique and one-of-a-kind.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
luckyblackcat|1467884020|4052458 said:
Hi Lauren! I remember your totally dreamy pear from my lurking days! Will this be an everyday, never-leaves-your-hand ring or a special occasion piece? I think it's very brave to give your designer free reign, even one as respected as VC. I'd find it really difficult to let go of ideas I inevitably start to have on my own, but, I also think the payoff would be SO worth it, as the end result would be something truly unique and one-of-a-kind.

Hi! This is my enagagement ring that will never leave my hand! I want her set and on and to never think about it again haha! I'm so torn!!

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock
Hiya,

It's really difficult to tell much from that picture at all to be honest. I think I get the gist of the idea though.

I think you need to look at tons more pictures of bright Vs U cut and let your heart decide. Anything he creates will be beautiful but if you prefer a certain type of cut then...
No matter how gorgeous if you prefer a cushion over a round you're never going to be content with the round kwim?

It does look such a pretty, inspired design though. Looking forward to your process!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I can see, it does looks like a lovely design. He would make it beautiful but I don't envy having to make a final decision as that can be so hard to do. Would love to be able to see it in a hard copy!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Stephny691|1467886601|4052462 said:
Hiya,

It's really difficult to tell much from that picture at all to be honest. I think I get the gist of the idea though.

I think you need to look at tons more pictures of bright Vs U cut and let your heart decide. Anything he creates will be beautiful but if you prefer a certain type of cut then...
No matter how gorgeous if you prefer a cushion over a round you're never going to be content with the round kwim?

It does look such a pretty, inspired design though. Looking forward to your process!

The picture is hard to visualize. That's my biggest struggle. I think if Victor said this design with u cut id be cool but the bright cut is hard for me.... I've emailed him asking for more info :)

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks|1467889281|4052470 said:
From what I can see, it does looks like a lovely design. He would make it beautiful but I don't envy having to make a final decision as that can be so hard to do. Would love to be able to see it in a hard copy!

I agree it's lovely and it has appeal, I'm nervous and hoping Victor can offer me more pics or guidance.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like it will be amazing! [emoji7] FWIW, I much prefer bright cut for that design, but you should look at lots of pictures comparing the two styles, and ultimately get what you love.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a very similar ring by DK... I really love this and can't wait to see your ring!
aab2fb597e870dd40a004d901c81d7ef.jpg

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MSOP I was just going to post that for OP! CVB also has done something a bit similar with more of a vintage flair that I love...the bright set does work beautifully on this. But I recall from your other threads that you are not local so are paying premium plus to get this made. You really need to make sure you LOVE it before committing IMO. Have you talked to Victor about your hesitations? *edit* just saw that you already emailed him- here's hoping he either assuages your fears or you feel comfortable saying you want to go back to your original design.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-acacia-solitaire-setting/

This is the CVB one for reference, just beautiful but no halo

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that for that design bright cut works better, aesthetically and practically. The stones are more secure. His work is very very delicate so it won't look bulky at all. I have bright cut on the Jocelyn he made me. And I am definitely a more modern style kinda person. The design is beautiful and you did want an antique style setting right? I would go for it, but that is because I trust him. However if you had your heart set on something I think you should just have him make exactly what you want. Either give him all control or none. It won't work any other way.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my. i LOVE the way this setting is going, the setting msop04 posted is my absolute favorite setting for a pear! :love: Very curious to see how this will look as a halo

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go with it. I think it looks aaaaaaaaaamazing!!! His work is so delicate, I can't imagine the bright cut looking bulky at all, plus I think the extra security-peace of mind would be very attractive since it'll be your every-day ring. I also think it suits the antique stone, and the leafy motif is just to die for.

I have a feeling that if you do, once you get it, you won't be able to imagine it being any other way!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would let him do it. That is going to be killer. Seriously. :love: :love: :love:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you ask him if you get the finished ring and dislike it if he will offer a redo? I think he's done that in the past for new designs.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your heart is set on the u-cut then I would go with the u-cut but not in that style as I don't think it would suit it having three parts.

This is one of these threads where it is dangerous to get swayed with what pricescopers' say, if I were you I would look at all his ring designs already made and imagine your pear stone in them or photoshop if you can, and stay away from here a bit and make your own mind up, in consultation with Victor as well though. It would not be good to receive the ring and still want u-cut if that is what you really like.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me I personally like the bright cut and the design Victor has suggested for an antique pear. I like the u-cut too but with a round rather than pear shape.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just remembered, didn't you say before that size was important to you, so I would have thought a halo would be a number one thing for the ring design for you. I know the diamond is large so maybe you have got the size you want now.

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
Just FYI: Your full name and email address are showing in the sketch you attached. Can you crop it to remove those? Just thinking about your privacy and safety. :angel:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
GCGDanielle|1467929103|4052767 said:
Just FYI: Your full name and email address are showing in the sketch you attached. Can you crop it to remove those? Just thinking about your privacy and safety. :angel:
Ohh silly me!! I'll message moderators :) thank you

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks moderators for removing. I've attached it again without my personal info.

Pyramid - I absolutely understand what you're saying. I was totally fine with the Emilya or Anne Marie until he suggested this. I always second guess myself and part of me feels if Victor thinks this is best do I let him do it? I feel this setting is more a Right hand ring and definitely don't want it looking cocktail like.... Victor has suggested single cut melee after seeing my pear in person. :)

_37745.jpg

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
liaerfbv|1467906079|4052570 said:
Can you ask him if you get the finished ring and dislike it if he will offer a redo? I think he's done that in the past for new designs.

Good suggestion! I just don't think I could ask him to do that....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1467969595|4052948 said:
What do you think of this design:
neatfreak-oval-diamond-ring-12.jpg
neatfreak-diamond-ring-ps-gtg-2012.jpg

It was inspired by these:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/38210296813145021/

And this shank design, but without the halo:
Both gorgeous Gypsy! The design Victor sketched will have a halo around the pear. I can't help but feel a single thin band will oomph the center even more - I want the pear haloed and for it to be he star.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't help but feel a single thin band will oomph the center even more - I want the pear haloed and for it to be he star.[/quote]

Then I think you should stick with the emilya...
:D

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would set an antique pear in an antique style setting. I will tell you that bright cut pave will be more practical for an everyday ring. I'd have to see a little more detailed drawings to understand that design, though. But if what you love is the Emilya, you should go for that regardless of what we say!

I adore that CVB Acacia setting as well as the DK one that msop posted. But for a halo, I would go with something like this, but perhaps with a simple bright cut halo rather than scalloped if it was for an e-ring.

cvb_pear_halo.jpg

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who really struggles to make decisions like this, especially because there are SO many beautiful options out there, I just wanted to chime in on the get what YOU love side. There isn't just one setting that will be perfect for your pear. There are many settings that would be equally perfect but for different people! You are the one who is going to be wearing it and spending inordinate amounts of time looking at it ;-)

Based on this statement: "I'm torn between letting the master do what he does best and getting what I feel I would love..." it definitely doesn't seem like you have the same preference as Victor, which is totally fine! You can disagree with him. I love your pear and it is so beautiful - you should feel just as excited about the setting as the stone! If you are having to talk yourself into Victor's setting, then that doesn't seem like the right choice to me.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
laurenk,

My antique pear ring will be done any day now. It's in a vintage inspired halo with a split shank by LAD/CVB. I'm not hijacking your thread, but wanted to tell you I was also on the fence about split shank, what kind of halo, bright cut, etc, etc. I even changed the CAD's and added a cuff too! :oops: I will post when it's done and maybe it will give you an idea of what you might like or not like going forward? Or are you looking to decide on a setting right away?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1467997833|4053180 said:
laurenk,

My antique pear ring will be done any day now. It's in a vintage inspired halo with a split shank by LAD/CVB. I'm not hijacking your thread, but wanted to tell you I was also on the fence about split shank, what kind of halo, bright cut, etc, etc. I even changed the CAD's and added a cuff too! :oops: I will post when it's done and maybe it will give you an idea of what you might like or not like going forward? Or are you looking to decide on a setting right away?

I cannot wait to see this!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results