shape
carat
color
clarity

Help us identify the color of our 8 ct star sapphire (unheated)!

Jan148

Rough_Rock
We need help identifying what hue our new 8 ct star sapphire is. We have a AGL cert that identities the color (blue) but thats it. We called AGL and they stated that they don’t provide any other color descriptors for sapphires like cornflower, royal blue, etc, for the type of report we got and that if we wanted them to identify the specific hue we would have to resubmit it and get a different type of document.

We are specifically looking to see (get as many opinions as possible) if it is either cornflower blue, royal blue or some other type of blue and if it has ideal tone and saturation, before we decide to send it back to AGL for additional testing and documentation. See pictures below.

P.S. We know its hard to identify color/tone/saturation via pictures alone, but any help would be greatly appreciated :bigsmile:

Also, if you need a specific picture to help identify please let us know :sun:

AGL cert
Star AGL report .jpg

In store under fluorescent lights
Lighting in stor.JPG

diffused light indoor
diffused light indoor.jpg

Outdoor no sun
outdoors no sun under trees.jpg

Indoors with light from iPhone
flash from iphone indoors.jpg

Light in Kitchen
tempImageS6HiJn.jpg

Outdoors, no sun, cloudy
Outdoors cloudy no sun.jpg

about 20x magnification from side with bright fourecent lights
S20201130_009.JPG

Light from sunset coming through window
light from sunset indoors.jpg

Balcony with light from iPhone
balcony with light from iphone.jpg

Balcony
balcony .jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! Can't say anything from photos for many, many reasons.

Fairly blue and saturated for a star, but it does not meet the criteria for a top color designation, imo.

Jan148

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, super hard with photos. If it helps I'm using an iPhone 12pro and haven't applied any filters to the images.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, super hard with photos. If it helps I'm using an iPhone 12pro and haven't applied any filters to the images.

It's all in-phone processing. But even assuming it looks better than it is, it is not a color archetype.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that is a beauty!! As far as the exact blue... I don't know, but it is a gorgeous blue!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Excellent crisp star. IMHO it’s blue too.

Curious to know why you want the trade color designation. Do you plan to sell?

Jan148

Rough_Rock
Excellent crisp star. IMHO it’s blue too.

Curious to know why you want the trade color designation. Do you plan to sell?

It’s an Elsa Peretti one of a kind piece from Tiffany’s. Been comparing different price points for sapphires and want to see how ours compares to see if we got a good deal or not. Not looking to sell as we absolutely love it. Just curious.

33E0F928-7E54-4722-B434-64A295907A84.jpeg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think you would necessarily give a star sapphire a colour descriptor because they are typically opaque rather than clear. It’s also impossible to tell from photos. In some it looks violet and in others blue. If I were you I’d settle for just blue.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The AGL report I presume you need is the Prestige Grading Report which is $635 US for a mounted sapphire.
I’m no expert on Star Sapphires other than that the quality of the star moreso than “tone of blue” is a price driving factor.
The Tiffany name does add value (to most people though not all) but I’m not sure if the Elsa Perretti pieces are “one off” creations.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s pretty and a nice star. I know you love must love it because it looks so great on your hand!

In my opinion it is medium rather than light or dark. Sometimes I see a bit of purple or gray depending on the light, but it mostly looks like a balanced blue.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To me, it's a medium, very decent blue with great asterism, fairly translucent body and a nice size and carat weight.

Definitely a keeper!

Jan148

Rough_Rock
Really appreciate all the replies so far. I think I found a hue that matches it pretty closely. see image.

natural lighting with light from iphone.JPG

natural lighting through window.JPG

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know it's different in every light, right? So the "color" is not an intrinsic property of the stone like an inert pigment swatch on paper. It is fun to look for a match. As photographed, it is definitely an attractive color for a star.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results