shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Upgrading my ring and need help!

girlmom

Rough_Rock
Hi all! We are celebrating 10 years next month and are upgrading my current ring (1.33 round brilliant). For the engagement ring, I wasn't involved in the process at all and I'm thrilled that I get to be a part of choosing this time. But I'm feeling very overwhelmed trying to educate myself on diamonds!

Here's what we're looking for...

2.3-2.9 carat round brilliant
excellent/ideal cut
G color
vs2-si1 eye clean

The things I care about most are:
1. sparkle (Is this all based on the dimensions?)
2. size (bigger the better :dance: )

Other than that, I'd obviously like it to be eye clean (no visible black spots) and not too yellow.

We are hoping to spend around $20,000. Is this doable at all?

I'd really appreciate any insight. Also, online or brick and mortar? If we go online, is JamesAllen best with all their pictures and technology?

Thanks sooo much in advance!!! :wavey:

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Hi girlmom,

Sparkle (i.e. how it reflects light) is determined by a diamond's cut. You need to ask James Allen for ASET images of these diamonds and post them for evaluation. PS also has the HCA tool which allows you to evaluate a diamond's optic performance by entering its stats.

You can also avoid all this by going straight to the best diamond vendors who do all this work for you and sell only the best cut diamonds. Check out Whiteflash's A Cut Above category, Brian Gavin and maybe contact Good Old Gold.

BTW why are you so set on G colour? A well-cut I or J (esp with florescence) faces up beautifully without the premium associated with such a high colour (just a thought).

girlmom

Rough_Rock
Can you explain a little more about what kind of fluorescence I would need to make an I or J look whiter? Thanks!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results