shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Unidentified antique pink sapphire ring

jaybeth

Rough_Rock
Hi there! My mother gave me this ring. It’s from her grandmother or great grandmother. It’s probably around 150-200 years old. I was always told that it was a pink sapphire, but I don’t know!

I’ve tried finding similar rings online, and haven’t had any luck. The stamp is worn and very difficult to read. I hope someone here knows where I should go from this point on! IMG_9931.jpeg IMG_1511.jpeg
IMG_1514.jpeg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
You could send it to a trusted lab like GIA for a report. I think it would cost about $100. If knowing for sure is worth that much to you.

jaybeth

Rough_Rock
You could send it to a trusted lab like GIA for a report. I think it would cost about $100. If knowing for sure is worth that much to you.

That’s a good idea. I really want this to be my engagement ring, and my boyfriend is on board. But if it’s low quality metal & a piece of glass, I’m not sure how well it’d hold up

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty!
The mark inside looks like "10k ASCOT"
Being that it's set into 10k gold, I feel confident that it is a synthetic stone.

There's a chance that it could be 18k, but if that was the case, it would probably be in a more elaborate setting with diamonds.

Calling @YadaYadaYada , who knows all about vintage rings

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, that is a lovely ring with a sweet history.

10kt Gold has the least amount of gold but should hold up just fine if you really want this family ring as your ER -- I tend to agree it is unlikely the stone is natural, but even if it is synthetic or glass, likely it would also stand the test of time (since it's done so already). If it is glass and something happens to it down the line, you could have one cut to fit the setting.

Another option is to find a jeweler to recreate the ring in 14kt or 18kt Yellow Gold with an oval pink colored gemstone that you pick out/purchase:

For example, GemFix has pretty pink spinels and pink sapphires:
1.66ct Pink Spinel (Africa) - $995 - https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-336
2.08ct Pink Spinel (Tajiskisthan) - $1795 - https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-304
1.63ct Pink Sapphire (Madagascar) - with AGL Report stating heat only - $2495 - https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-13-433

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Another option, if you want a colored stone e-ring but budget is a concern, is to get a lab sapphire of any color custom cut to your specifications. They are of the same material as mined sapphires and a precision cut would cost somewhere around $100 or so per carat. Then a 14k setting with a lab diamond halo or whatever would be somewhere around $1,500. So maybe two grand total for a gorgeous e-ring. Sapphire is also durable for everyday wear.

I've had good results with Precision Gem, and Finewater Gems for the stones and David Klass for the settings (and lab diamonds).

The light pink ring below is a light pink lab sapphire in a wedding set that I had made. I got two bands on it to stand for e-ring and wedding ring in one.

The dark pink is also a lab sapphire ring I had made. The lower right blue green stone is also a lab sapphire. (The upper right stone is a lab emerald, but sapphires are the most durable colored stone for everyday wear). Mine are all somewhere around 5 carats.

1693076549880.png

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i have my fingers crossed for you that it is a real natural stone
but if it isnt it, is still so pretty

it reminds me very much of a rose gold 10k ring i found in mum's stuff - bit of a mystery as it was a huge size, all the ladies on mum's side had very small features
20210225_195216-jpg.816732

its a bad photo, it really is pretty

there was like a 20% chance it was a lab pink tourmaline

it was glass
but it was such a pretty cut
im having the hunk of pink glass set in an inexpensive silver setting to wear as a necklace and ill sit on the empty setting for a while

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results