shape
carat
color
clarity

Help understaning clarity characteristics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Randy Top

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

First off, I want to say thanks to everyone who has shared their input on here. I can definitely feel a lot more confident about ability to purchase a quality diamond then I did a month ago.

I''m just trying to understand clarity chastiser a little better. I''ve read what they all are so I understand what each specifically is, I just want to make sure my stone will look good.

I assume that all diamond have some type of flaw (feather, cloud, pin, crystal, etc.) unless it''s graded flawless. From what I understand you won''t see it with just the human eye unless maybe it''s on the surface. I think if you get a higher clarity it shouldn''t make a difference.

I''m looking to get a diamond from online, but the diamonds are not in-house, and I will get charged if they bring it in to examine it and take pictures and scope images and I don''t want it (unless it doesn''t meet their standards.) I only assume that all stones will match the company''s quality standards.

Here are the 3 stones that I am looking at:

.60 G VVS2 - Feather, extra facet finish

.63 D SI1 - feather, crystal, cloud finish

.70 F SI1 - Crystal, cloud finish

I understand their is a lot more to evaluating a diamond, but I''m wondering based on just this info, which is the better choice to have brought in for pictures and scope images? (Basically which has the best chance of being the best looking?)

What make one a better choice than another? Or is there more info I need to find out first? (like location of inclusions)

Thanks for anything you can contribute.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Going strictly on clarity I'd go for the VVS2. Not all SI stones are eye-clean. At the size you gave the G color if going to face up white.

That could all change in an instant depending on cut. I'd take any one of these stones that was well cut.

Randy Top

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the input. Can anyone tell me if I should worry about any of the clarity characteristics. I need to know which stone is the best one to get evaluated.

Thanks

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think you have to worry about the feather in the VVS2. I agree with Lone_Wolfe... not all SI stones are eye-clean. That can be a problem. My bf and I have just found a VS2 diamond with a very very small feather. We can barely see the feather under 10x. We can only see it clearly under 40x. We''ve looked at lots of SI1 and they weren''t very good. It''s true that it''s harder to find a mind-clean stone than an eye-clean stone. Good luck!!!
26.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All diamonds have flaws! All grading is done based on what can be seen at 10x; if nothing is seen at 10x, then it is IF, but will eventually find something once you get to a high enough magnification.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2010 8:09:18 PM
Author:qkid13
Hello all,

First off, I want to say thanks to everyone who has shared their input on here. I can definitely feel a lot more confident about ability to purchase a quality diamond then I did a month ago.

I''m just trying to understand clarity chastiser a little better. I''ve read what they all are so I understand what each specifically is, I just want to make sure my stone will look good.

I assume that all diamond have some type of flaw (feather, cloud, pin, crystal, etc.) unless it''s graded flawless. From what I understand you won''t see it with just the human eye unless maybe it''s on the surface. I think if you get a higher clarity it shouldn''t make a difference.

I''m looking to get a diamond from online, but the diamonds are not in-house, and I will get charged if they bring it in to examine it and take pictures and scope images and I don''t want it (unless it doesn''t meet their standards.) I only assume that all stones will match the company''s quality standards.

Here are the 3 stones that I am looking at:

.60 G VVS2 - Feather, extra facet finish

.63 D SI1 - feather, crystal, cloud finish

.70 F SI1 - Crystal, cloud finish

I understand their is a lot more to evaluating a diamond, but I''m wondering based on just this info, which is the better choice to have brought in for pictures and scope images? (Basically which has the best chance of being the best looking?)

What make one a better choice than another? Or is there more info I need to find out first? (like location of inclusions)

Thanks for anything you can contribute.
If you prefer higher clarity then stick with that. Is there anything from the vendors that have in house diamonds that you like the look of, rather than working from the virtual listing? It is cut which gives a diamond its beauty and from the basic info there is no way to tell which is the best cut unfortunately, we would need all the proportions of each in order to get a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results