shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - trying to make the right call on an engagement ring!

Alisonbee85

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I've lurked on these forums a couple of times before (naughty), however this time I'm here posting for real as my boyfriend of over 6 years has popped the question! I'm obviously massively excited, and we're now starting to look for an engagement ring for me (I'd always said I wanted to pick myself).

We live in London, and got engaged on holiday in NYC just 2 days ago (yay), and went to Tiffany's just to try different styles and get a feel for what might suit me. Back in London today we popped to another couple of places, and then went to a showroom for an online retailer called 77 diamonds which I've looked at a few times. I think I've narrowed my decision down to a round solitaire on a high prong setting, with diamonds on the band. I'd like 2 carats, decent clarity and G/H colour, with excellent cut.

I like the '1477 vintage' setting below:

http://www.77diamonds.com/vintage_rings.html

I could do with some help on which diamond to go for, at the best possible value! There's a G SI1 below which is a reasonable price but is a bit less than the others of the same basic stats, anything I should be wary of?

http://www.77diamonds.com/certification_RBCPRNWUXTNK.html

This one is 2.02 G SI1 VS2, which is a similar price to most of the 2 carat G SI1s, again, wondering why - is this a good find or is there something I'm missing?

http://www.77diamonds.com/certification_RBCPKERESSPP.html

Finally, as a general thought we could get a bigger diamond for the same money if we went to an H (or we could just save the money and spend more on the honeymoon....), either way, what are your thoughts on the colour point? I do know that some close friends have F diamonds, and I don't want mine to look more 'yellowy' than theirs!

The first link I posted above has the criteria thing for playing around with the search options, so as well as thoughts on the above, if you spot something I haven't then please shout!! When I sat with the advisor at the showroom today she was happy to try and source photos of any diamond we like that doesn't already have a photo, and we can also come in and see the diamond before it's set (the advantage of an online retailer with a showroom!).

Apologies for the long post!!

Thanks all,

Alison

PolarBear2006

Rough_Rock
Re: Help - trying to make the right call on an engagement ri

Hi Alison,

both of the diamonds you listed have STRONG fluorescence, that would just be a major turn down for me, I would try to get something in the none to faint range for fluorescence.

As for going from F to H in color, I would say the change in grade would not be too noticeable once the diamonds are in a setting, especially if you end up getting a yellow/rose gold setting. So money towards honeymoon would be my suggestion.

Happy Hunting!

Yi

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

You can likely do better. Use the Pricescope HCA cut advisor to throw out poor performers. The 2.02 gets a score of 4.0 "buy only if price is your main criterion." The 2.01 gets an HCA score of 2.4 "worth buying if the price is right."

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Most of the experts in this forum would say, if you want the most sparkly, bright, and lively stone, only consider those with HCA scores of 2.0 or less. Cut is by far the most important parameter.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

For what it's worth, I like fluorescence. Medium and strong are usually fine in stones with good clarity. I'd stick with VS2 if you are choosing a stone by the grading report numbers alone. Both of the stones above are outside of the measurements above. One was way too deep and that often makes a stone face up smaller in diameter.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

PolarBear2006|1457569224|4002298 said:
Hi Alison,

both of the diamonds you listed have STRONG fluorescence, that would just be a major turn down for me, I would try to get something in the none to faint range for fluorescence.

As for going from F to H in color, I would say the change in grade would not be too noticeable once the diamonds are in a setting, especially if you end up getting a yellow/rose gold setting. So money towards honeymoon would be my suggestion.

Happy Hunting!

Yi

I disagree about the Fluor. Fluor rarely has a negative impact on the stone. To notice Fluor, you need STRONG UV light to make it noticeable. I have a strong Fluor diamond for my engagement ring. You can ask the vendor if the stone is milky or hazy due to the Fluor. I'll try to dig up an older post by one of the tradespeople explaining why Fluor isn't usually an issue.

Alisonbee85

Rough_Rock

Thanks all, really helpful. I'll check out the HCA tool on a few diamonds I've seen, sparkle is indeed key!!

As for fluorescence, I've read so many contrasting points on this. Does it make any difference if it's a G or an H colour?

In terms of setting, I'd be looking for platinum, so wouldn't really be able to disguise any hint of yellow.

It's definitely tough doing it online and doing it right, but it's such good value that I think it's worth the extra effort!!

Thanks again,

Alison

PolarBear2006

Rough_Rock

If you understand fluorescence and what it does under UV and is very comfortable with it, then getting a STRONG fluorescent diamond could be a good choice because the market generally considers STRONG fluorescent diamonds undesirable and thus you are saving some money from that point of view. oh and also a STRONG fluor stone could actually make your diamond looking whiter than it actually is.

Maccers is totally right that fluor rarely has a negative impact on a stone during normal lighting, I think its less than 5% actually. GIA did a study on this and people cannot tell the difference between NONE and STRONG fluor.

I normally suggest against fluor for a simple reason: If the person buying or receiving is not educated on diamonds enough, one day this could be a terrible surprise.

To allison, STRONG fluor or not is really a personal choice, as is with all other aspects of diamond buying, just as long as you are informed.

Hope this helps!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results