shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Trying to decide between two diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

toughchoices

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have finally narrowed it down to two! But now the hard part...

Both appear to me to have a good cut, although #2 is "branded" cut and #1 is just classified as ideal. #1 has slightly better clarity, but is priced 500 less than #2.

Also, #2 comes is inscribed with GIA # and #1 is not (both have GIA certs).

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

#1 *******************************

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.64 - 6.67 x 4.07 mm
Carat Weight: 1.10 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VVS1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
HCA Score = 1.6
Price: 7,087

#2*******************************

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.65 - 6.69 x 4.11 mm
Carat Weight: 1.11 carat
Clarity Grade: VVS2
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 15.5%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
HCA Score = 1.3
Price: 7,559

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 3:55:30 PM
Author:toughchoices

Hi,

I have finally narrowed it down to two! But now the hard part...

Both appear to me to have a good cut, although #2 is 'branded' cut and #1 is just classified as ideal. #1 has slightly better clarity, but is priced 500 less than #2.

Also, #2 comes is inscribed with GIA # and #1 is not (both have GIA certs).

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

#1 *******************************

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.64 - 6.67 x 4.07 mm
Carat Weight: 1.10 carat
Clarity Grade: VVS1
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
HCA Score = 1.6
Price: 7,087

#2*******************************

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.65 - 6.69 x 4.11 mm
Carat Weight: 1.11 carat
Clarity Grade: VVS2
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 15.5%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
HCA Score = 1.3
Price: 7,559
Hi TC,

I prefer the second from the info given, do you have any images such as ASET or Idealscope please? Also did you want such high clarity? You could drop to VS without visual sacrifice but this is a personal preference.

toughchoices

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, I have no actual images b/c buying online.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like everything about the second one also, that gets my vote! And just wondering, is the high clarity a must?

toughchoices

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the votes. What was more appealing in diamond # 2?

I would go lower on clarity, but how could I assure they are "sight clean" if buying online?

Thanks
26.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 9:07:22 PM
Author: toughchoices

I would go lower on clarity, but how could I assure they are 'sight clean' if buying online?

Thanks
26.gif
The angle ranges are ' safer', the first diamond has angles I would really want an ASET or Idealscope image of in order to evaluate properly.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would go lower on clarity, but how could I assure they are 'sight clean' if buying online?
Thanks
26.gif

By sight clean you mean not able to see inclusions? You will not able to see inclusions on any reliably graded stones, eg. by GIA/AGS, at VVS level unless you have super human eyes. That level is extremely(VVS1) to very difficult(VVS2) to see by a trained grader under 10X mag.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 6:07:27 AM
Author: Lorelei

Thanks
26.gif
The angle ranges are ' safer', the first diamond has angles I would really want an ASET or Idealscope image of in order to evaluate properly.
All you can do is to ask the vendor, VVS will be eyeclean and most likely VS, once you hit SI then careful evaluation by a trusted vendor is essential. If you decide to go with SI then make your expectations known, for example if you don't want to see any inclusions from any angle at close scrutiny then make sure the vendor understands that, some SI will pass muster and some will not. However if you prefer to go with very high clarity then there is nothing wrong with that!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/24/2009 6:52:30 AM
Author: Stone-cold11

I would go lower on clarity, but how could I assure they are ''sight clean'' if buying online?
Thanks
26.gif
By sight clean you mean not able to see inclusions? You will not able to see inclusions on any reliably graded stones, eg. by GIA/AGS, at VVS level unless you have super human eyes. That level is extremely(VVS1) to very difficult(VVS2) to see by a trained grader under 10X mag.
Just to put it in perspective, there are many VVS2-inclusions that I find hard to find when louping them at 10X. It would need to be an exceptional super-human to find these with the naked eye.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sc and Lorelei have covered the clarity/eyeclean aspect. I think you could easily shoot for VS2 and still have a large selection with no worries. As suggested, always ask the vendor to evaluate the stone and make sure it''s to your satisfasction. Going lower in clarity can save you money and/or allow you to go to a bit larger size.

And as Lorelei also stated, the angles are great on the second one, along with everything else.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 7:24:12 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Date: 3/24/2009 6:52:30 AM
Author: Stone-cold11

I would go lower on clarity, but how could I assure they are ''sight clean'' if buying online?
Thanks
26.gif
Just to put it in perspective, there are many VVS2-inclusions that I find hard to find when louping them at 10X. It would need to be an exceptional super-human to find these with the naked eye.
Good info thanks Paul!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 7:28:37 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 3/24/2009 7:24:12 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Good info thanks Paul!
Ditto, he posted right before me and I didn''t see that.

toughchoices

Rough_Rock
I made my choice! It was actually neither of the original two, but one very similiar to what everyone suggested.

I purchased a Round Brilliant 1.04 H VVS1 from blue nile, along with setting and wedding band.

They arrived today and I am very pleased with the diamond and ring (and the independent appraisal).

Thank you to everyone who posted with comments! This forum and your comments were very helpful in my purchasing process.

I will post a pic as soon as I can get a good one (keeps sparkling making it hard to photograph)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many congrats to you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results