shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Trying to decide between 2 Maggie Sotteros and totally overwhlemed!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AlistairsBride

Rough_Rock
I am trying to decide between 3 Maggie Sottero dresses....

1) Adorae: http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/collection.aspx

2) Janet: http://www.maggiesottero.com/collection.aspx?keywordText=janet&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=15

3) Gatsby: http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=J1205LU

I am 5''6", short-ish in the body, curvy and have a fairly flat stomach (at least once inside all the boning and corset!) so I dont need fabric to "hide" the bits.... after spending a lifetime thinking I was fat, I want to celebrate my curvy hips and chest! I love the dresses but the model pictures just dont do them justice (the darn models are all too skinny and stick-ish and they lose the flow of the curves these dresses were designed for.

HAS ANYONE WORN THESE? DO YOU HAVE ANY "real body" PICS? Do you know how the three dresses will actually photogrpah on my special day? Are they comfortabel?

I need help... I cant sleep! Please! :)

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I work for a boutique and our owner makes us do fashion shows every once in awhile. Off topic, but it''s really embarrassing as I am definitely no model! Here I am on the right in Gatsby. It''s a GORGEOUS gown. For the record I''m 5''4" with a pretty curvy figure.

I have seen both Janet and Adorae in person, and they are gorgeous as well. They are a different look though, so you really just need to try them on!

gatsbydress.jpg

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
There''s no other way for you to end your agony then to go and try on each of these dresses.

But I''ll play along. If I were to pick a word to describe each, I''d say, Adorae is romantic, Janet is sophisticated, and Gatsby is glamorous. (My opinion). They''re all so different and if I were to pick my personal favorite I''d say the Janet because it''s understated, yet fancy with a bit of bling. But that''s the kind of girl I am. What kind of girl are you?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I like the first dress best.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
My favorite is the Adorae, and then the Janet. I''m not crazy about the lines of the Gatsby, BUT then again, it might look great on you. There really is no way of knowing without knowing your body type or seeing you in it. For what it''s worth, I chose the Fiorella by Maggie Sottero, which would closest to the Adorae. And I agree, her dresses look SO much better on real bodies than the super skinny models. I''m about 5''6" and a little curvy, and the Fiorella was very flattering.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I love the Adorae! Not a fan of the Gatsby, sorry.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
My dress is the Gatsby. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of me in it b/c it hasn''t arrived yet (and won''t until late June).

I personally love that it has a more retro feel to it, and I also love the dropped waist - mainly b/c I have a larger chest and the dropped waist elongates me where I need it to look proportionate. I also love the corset on it, because it helps me accentuate my waist. I ordered it in ivory with pewter accents, because the pewter really gives the dress and the fabric a nice shimmer and sparkle. I would also add that it was incredibly comfortable - I felt light and airy in it versus some of the other dresses which made me feel like I was lugging around tons of fabric.

I do think the Gatsby needs to be worn with a trumpet slip underneath it. I tried it on with and without, and without it, I thought the dress just fell limp. With the slip, it really helped give it more of a true A-line look to it.

With that said, the other two dresses are also beautiful - just very different styles. Like caribqueen said, the Janet is really sophisticated. I tried on a similar dress by a different designer, and I thought it was gorgeous and flattering in a different way - just not really my personality. I think the Adorae is sexy - and I think that style would certainly suit your figure.

So... if I were you, I''d go with the style that feels the most like who you are and what you want to embody on your wedding day. I don''t think there''s a bad choice among the three.

Good luck!

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I like the first one the best out of the stock photos, but it''s really going to depend on your body and your comfort.

AlistairsBride

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much!! I have tried on all three... hence, the agony.

I''m sort of an "old world girl"... my house was built in 1930, I live simply, have my great-grandparents'' dining room set, love antiques... so you can see the appeal of the Gatsy (very 30s) and the Janey (very Hepburn, 50s).

To me, as someone with curvy hips, the Adorae is just pure smouldering sex-pot... it was the first of the three that I fell in love with.

The Gatsby is old Hollywood romantic... like maybe they''ll be a bank heist after the ceremony! I love that it is lace...

The Janet is so Grace Kelly... I love the bolour (shoulder thing).

I suppose for me the other hard part is that I had a really serious highway accident 4 years ago and with prescription drugs, pain and mental health problems went from a size 6, 140 pounds to 168 pounds... not that 168 is big, it was just big for me as my frame is too small (I''m still solid as a tree trunk at any weight!) now I am (recently) back at 140 and I''m so just amazed at how tiny and pretty I feel in all these dresses! (This is really nice after 4 very tearful and hard years... and I''m marrying someone really wonderful who I met 2 years ago and stuck by me through some tough times, including the tail end of my depression... in comparison the last guy told me I had gotten fat, was an emotional liability and left.... so you can see that I want to be just lovely and pick the right dress!)

OUPearGirl - you look awesome! I love it on you - thanks for the photo... I really wanted to know how it would look in photos... I loved it.

CurlySue - thanks for the reassurance - I love that the Gatsby is so different, "retro" is a good word... like all lovely and antiquy... it is the one I could not get out of on Saturday (I just sort of stood there like an idiot and grinned a 8" grin at the mirror)... you''re going to love it. I''m pretty sure I will end up in it... I have another appointment on Thursday where they are going to bring the Adorae in from their other store so I can try on all three at once and make a final decision... EEKS!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! Further comments welcome...

p.s. I would also like to say that I think brides need to quit thinking they need to get skinnier for their weddings - everytime I go shopping I hear girls say, "well, I''m going to lose 10/15 pounds so I''ll order a smaller size" - SKINNIER IS NOT BETTER, especially in bridal gowns! We should all just strive to be healthy (all the time) and happy (with who we are - after all, he is!)

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I
30.gif
the janet, followed by the adorae. I don''t really care for the Gatsby. but, it really does depend on you, your body, and the vibe of your wedding.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are all very pretty gowns! Just wanted to mention (in case you hadn''t seen it) that on the maggie sottero website, they actually have testimonials on each dress half way down the page. they are real brides who wore each dress and post their pictures. Might help you to see them on some real ladies!

Best of luck!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a store local to you where you can try them on? The Adorae and Janet are new gowns, and not all stores would have them yet.

I think Gatsby is prettier in person than the pictures show, so if you still love it, try it on! It''s a dress that totally fits its name. I love the vintage look of it.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
my favorite based on the stock photos is the Adorae, but again, hard to tell based off of those photos alone.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I really love the gatsby actually. I didn''t think that I would but I think it would be beautiful!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I like all of them they are so different to each other and all are beautiful but without seeing you in them though it is hard to tell, how does one make you feel more like OMG I can see myself getting married in this?

I didn''t think I was going to have the momment however the dress I picked which was unexpected was the one that I continued to love and grow in love with :), does one stand out more so then the others in your mind?

AlistairsBride

Rough_Rock
I feel so lovely and *pretty* in the Gatsby. I adore it. I spent an hour in it on Saturday. Other women in the store came over to admire the dress as well. I am just worried that it wont look good in photos - that it will look washed out or drab or the lace wont show up.

The Janet is probably my second choice - its a bit plainer but I think it might be more striking in photos...

My mom and sister are sort of killing me with the photos. My sister lost her camera then my mom remembered to bring one to the next store but then the batteries died when she went to take photos (so there are none) then my mom brought my dad''s camera the next day but now doesnt know how to charge it (those batteries died) so she can scan and email me the photos. I am surrounded by camera-dunces! Oh well, they are great in other respects and we are going to take a million shots on Thursday (I am taking both my cameras.)

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts...

I''m 31 and I like the subtle loveliness and sexiness and playfulness of the Gatsby. The Adorae is clearly pure sexpot and smouldering... the Janet is sharp lines and femine detail - its hard to go wrong with Maggie! :)

Wedding is sept 2010 so I need to order asap! :)

joelly

Ideal_Rock
The best remedy would be to stop staring at the pictures of dresses but to go out to bridal shop and try them on. You might be up for a surprise because what you think will look good on you might not be so after you put it on.

I must say that you are in the fun part of this wedding planning. Have fun!!!

P.S. Don''t judge the dress until you put it on. I did that and then I end up being a two-dress bride. Good luck!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to pop in to say you look absolutely stunning in this dress! It''s one of the prettiest dresses I have ever seen, so romantic and graceful. You are going to make such a beautiful bride!

AlistairsBride

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU JuneBug 17! Very kind. Are you looking at Maggie''s as well? I''ve learnt a lot about wedding gowns in the past 2 weeks and I''m definitely a convert to the Maggie-club. Very comfortable.

I just realized I shouldnt have posted my face (lest my fiance sees me). Can I delete a post and repost it without my face? Anyone know how to delete?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 10:20:09 PM
Author: AlistairsBride
THANK YOU JuneBug 17! Very kind. Are you looking at Maggie's as well? I've learnt a lot about wedding gowns in the past 2 weeks and I'm definitely a convert to the Maggie-club. Very comfortable.

I just realized I shouldnt have posted my face (lest my fiance sees me). Can I delete a post and repost it without my face? Anyone know how to delete?

Oh no AlistairsBride, I'm just an older woman who loves looking at all these beautiful dresses and brides-to-be! Actually, I have a 20 year old daughter who will be getting married someday, so I like seeing what the current bridal fashions are. I just had to comment when I saw your pic!

Not sure about deleting a pic...you could contact the moderators, they could probably remove it for you.

AlistairsBride

Rough_Rock
Again, so nice of you - really made me feel confident in my decision (there are just so many darn decisions with these weddings - it''s overwhelming sometimes!!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That dress looks amazing on you! It is beautiful! And I wouldn''t worry about your fiance finding the picture. I can''t imagine ANY guy searching through a bridal forum at the wedding dress threads!
9.gif

AlistairsBride

Rough_Rock
Thanks - by the way, your ring is amazing!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
LOOVVEE the Gatsby!
And Maggie Sottero... when I go to pick out my dress I''m trying her styles on first lol.

The gastby is so unique and pretty. My second vote is for the adorae. I''m not so crazy about the Janet. idk why.

But try them all on and then post pics! (or just choose on yourself... whichever one suits your "style" best)
1.gif

Good luck!

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I''m with you - hardcore vintage girl here. My vote would go to the Janet. I like the Gatsby as well, but I like the 50''s glam of the Janet.

Cj

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 10:41:09 PM
Again, so nice of you - really made me feel confident in my decision (there are just so many darn decisions with these weddings - it''s overwhelming sometimes!!)

So... did you make your decision?? Did you post a picture of yourself in your choice? I would love to see it but couldn''t find it...

AlistairsBride

Rough_Rock
Sorry team - I realized (I''m a bit slow) that you arent supposed to post pics of yourself with your face showing... so the moderator kindly took it down...

Here''s me in the dresses with no face!! (pretty, yes?)

Anyways, I bought the Gatsby and my Dad (with whom I am very close...) said: "The dress (GATSBY) is beautiful!! (It is exactly what I would have picked for you!!)" Awww....

Happy shopping and wedding-ing to all!

happysmudge.jpg

AlistairsBride

Rough_Rock
This is the Adorae... beautiful dress... too trendy for me and I didnt like that the train sat all to one side - I felt like I was lopsided and I didnt like it from the back and found it hard to move like a normal person (someone taller or bigger may not have this problem - its a gorgeous dress!)

It was a close runner-up but I LOVE the Gatsby so went with it... :)

adoraesmudge.jpg

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 12:29:29 PM
Sorry team - I realized (I''m a bit slow) that you arent supposed to post pics of yourself with your face showing... so the moderator kindly took it down...

Here''s me in the dresses with no face!! (pretty, yes?)

Anyways, I bought the Gatsby and my Dad (with whom I am very close...) said: ''The dress (GATSBY) is beautiful!! (It is exactly what I would have picked for you!!)'' Awww....

Happy shopping and wedding-ing to all!

!!!!
30.gif
!!!!

I LOVE IT on you. You look absolutely gorgeous in it, even without a face. :)

What color did you get it in??

P.S. I''m so happy to have a dress twin!

AlistairsBride

Rough_Rock
I cannot load any more files... sorry gals! I dont know why - its blocking me though...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results