shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Trying to decide between 1.65 D VS1 and 1.72 E VS2

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am trying to decide between two stones and would love some help! I am leaning toward the bigger stone (1.72) as the color and clarity differences should be indistinguishable, but I don't know if any of the stats stand out as being better for one vs. the other. If anyone can be the voice of reason so I can stop obsessing I would be most grateful! Both of them are AGS 0 and ideal cut, polish, and symmetry, but the 1.65 is $3,000 more due to the color and clarity. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Here are the stats:

Stone 1:
Carat: 1.728
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Measurements: 7.67 x 7.70 x 4.76
Table %: 56.4
Depth %: 61.9
Crown %: 15.2
Crown Angle: 34.9
Star %: 53
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43.1
LGF: 76
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Girdle: Thin to medium faceted

Stone 2: ($3,000 more)
Carat: 1.650
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Measurements: 7.59 x 7.62 x 4.70
Table %: 55.2
Depth %: 61.8
Crown %: 15.6
Crown Angle: 34.8
Star %: 51
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion %: 43.2
LGF: 77
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Girdle: Thin to medium faceted

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I would pick diamond #1 as I would favor size over the increase in clarity and color. It's up to you or your bride to determine what is more important. The differences in color and clarity are likely small so I'd go with the cheaper one in this case.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers look good on num 1 and with a $3k price difference I see no reason to go down in size to go up in color that
is still in the colorless range.

Any pictures?

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the insights! I am leaning toward Stone 1 as well but have been going a little crazy overanalyzing everything. The photos for Stone 2 (1.65 D VS1) have not yet been posted, but here are the photos for Stone 1 (1.72 E VS2). If I get the pics for Stone 2 soon I will post them as well!

idealscope_9.jpg

aset_29.jpg

h_amp_a_2.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone 1 for me too. All the images look great, and $3k is quite a bit you can put towards a setting/pocket.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think based on the numbers you posted, they are both good stones. However, I can see how this is a tough choice for you. I own a 1.5 F color, and my friend has a 1 ct D color, though mine is a bigger stone, but hers is just so white and shiny that i can see from a mile away! I am not sure if it is the color, but it definitely is eye-catching from far away. Both of our stones are excellent cut (with GIAs), but hers is IF Type 2a, not sure if that makes a difference...but I heard that Type 2a makes a stone look even whiter due to different reflective factors or whatever.... unfortunately i am not an expert on this, that was the first time I heard of the term.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Between an E and an D with that size and price difference, I would go for the E. I see more difference between and E and F than a D and E. I have an F and I can see the difference from an E. But when I put an E and D next to each other, I can't see the difference. My experience only.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SomethingNew|1445451388|3940711 said:
I think based on the numbers you posted, they are both good stones. However, I can see how this is a tough choice for you. I own a 1.5 F color, and my friend has a 1 ct D color, though mine is a bigger stone, but hers is just so white and shiny that i can see from a mile away! I am not sure if it is the color, but it definitely is eye-catching from far away. Both of our stones are excellent cut (with GIAs), but hers is IF Type 2a, not sure if that makes a difference...but I heard that Type 2a makes a stone look even whiter due to different reflective factors or whatever.... unfortunately i am not an expert on this, that was the first time I heard of the term.

The difference in colour grading is very unlikely to be the cause of it being more eye catching and shiny a mile away but rather some differences in cut. I'm sure there are dull D IF diamonds out there which are poorly cut. There are a wide variety in X GIA stones in terms of cut and character between them.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
my vote is stone #1
the images look very nice

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
gm89uk|1445471028|3940866 said:
SomethingNew|1445451388|3940711 said:

The difference in colour grading is very unlikely to be the cause of it being more eye catching and shiny a mile away but rather some differences in cut. I'm sure there are dull D IF diamonds out there which are poorly cut. There are a wide variety in X GIA stones in terms of cut and character between them.

Ha ha, yes, a mile away is probably quite an exaggeration. But I just thought the D color does make some difference. Perhaps mine is a VS2 with a little bit of a cloud so it is not as brilliant. I don't know the HCA but both stones are graded excellent cut by GIA, they should be somewhat comparable, right? I wish I have some pictures, but I gotta say hers is just so white that it is hard to describe. btw, we both have simple solitaire settings in platinum, so it is not like there are side stones that help.

Perhaps you can take the E and D and compare under different types of lighting, and see if they look different to you.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I vote #1 too. Better size AND price! Can't beat that!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Many thanks for all of the insights; I greatly appreciate it! I have been searching for several months and am starting to lose objectivity by this point... :-o I am updating the center stone of my wedding ring from a .91 I SI2 round, so either one of these stones will be a serious gamechanger! I am seriously leaning towars Stone 1 and your comments make me feel even better about that choice. Thank you again!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
fun fun fun . . . come back w/ pictures of the finished project

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, the images came in for the 1.65 D VS1, and they aren't making the decision any easier... :) All other things being equal, I am still leaning toward the 1.72 E VS2 stone (its images are shown earlier in the thread) as the D/E and VS1/VS2 differences are pretty inconsequential. However, if anyone sees any notable differences in the images between the two stones, please let me know. I truly appreciate everyone's insights as I need to make a decision this week!

idealscope_10.jpg

aset_30.jpg

h_amp_a_3.jpg

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
my vote is still for the 1.72 E it's going to be lovely!!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks! That is what I am thinking too. It just makes me feel better to invite a few other opinions, particularly knowledgeable ones! :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results