shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Trying to deal with lying e-ring salesman to get my $

avoidingscamhelp

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone, This sites been very great and educational. I apologize about posting under such sad circumstances, but hopefully with your help I can turn this around, and have something good happen.

After moving in with my GF, I figured the best next step would be to pop the question. I got some feedback from her regarding the setting, and she seemed really set on this particular Verragio setting. That was fine with me, and so I go on the hunt.

I found my local Verragio retailer, and they didn't have the exact setting, but something similar, so I request that they pull the setting so I can see it. Unfortunately, while trying to decide on the diamond, I run into a very greedy retailer. First off, I originally went in on a Saturday, and they quoted me 3,100 for the setting, and then they suggested that I also look at some diamonds. Great, they seemed like good guys at the time, why not? After my research, I felt that cut was one area that I simply cannot comprise on, and made that known. I tell them that I wanted a GIA graded ex cut diamond, and they said that anything they showed me would be GIA ex cut. I made the dumb move of telling them my budget, and they kept pushing this very "white" I vs2 1.31 (even showing me a yellow i at one point to make me think im getting a good deal), on me, and at that point, I think I should have walked out of their, but being as its my first time shopping for diamonds, I stayed =( . Anyways, I am normally a rational person, but something about diamonds really throws me off my feet. Falling for the whole, ex cut diamonds are really in demand, just put a deposit down and we can hold it for you while the other setting comes in for me to inspect. The deposit is completely refundable (lies). Anyways, I figure that I was going to get that setting regardless, so I didn't think anything of putting down 200$. Later on that week, after doing more research, I kept thinking to myself that, since I really will only buy an e-ring once in my life, I might as well do it right, and go for quality. I call them back, and ask them to pull some bigger, and a better color. We also schedule a time to review the diamonds ( about a week from that day, two weeks from when I first came in.)

So the moment I get there, they tell me that my setting went up in price, from 3,100 to 3,700?? They said that they can't do anything about it since Verragio sets the price. (again, should have walked out, but figured Verragio might really set the price on this one).

Anyways they show me a few diamonds, saying the whole time that GIA ex cut is the best, and etc. We finally get to this one diamond, with a GIA cert from 2005 that did not have a cut grade on it. They tell me that from the proportions its excellent, and they stand behind it, I dont have to worry ( the diamond had an inscription # on it that was different from the Cert #, but the Cert listed the inscription #.) The diamond is a F VS1 1.51 (ex polish and vg sym ). Its the best clarity diamond of the bunch they showed me, as the others were all SI1.

I end up buying that the F VS1 1.51, and when I get home i looked that #s up on GIA's website. So turns out, the old # (inscribed) showed a sym of only good, which was different from the cert I got from the store. I also tried the cert #, and it matches their cert.
The old cert # was from 2003, and the newer one was from 2005.

I call them up right away, and the owner gets on the phone, and tells me that GIA had issues in 2005, so thats why it is different. I freak out and start researching the GIA issues in 2005. I call them back, and tell them to please get it re-certified. They again, state that they stand behind their products, and I will have no worries. It will be everything they told me it would be. I end up pressing for the re-cert, and get it. Now here's my main problem, the diamond turns out to only be a VG, and not ex! I feel lied to, and when I expressed that, they keep pushing on the fact that since its a Verragio ring, I can't get my money back. This makes no sense to me since, Verragio, doesn't have the diamond to be able to work on the ring. I definitely don't feel comfortable attempting to swap out the diamond through them to get something that i actually want (ex cut)! (PS, after finding out about the HCA its only a 4.9 in the blue =(

I just feel scammed. I mean I set up time with them this week to go over some other diamonds, but I feel that they will just not show me something similar, just to jack the price up on me or show me something inferior to force me to buy the diamond. I work very very hard for my money, and hate this feeling.

Is there anything I can do to make sure I get the right diamond? Any advice on talking to the jeweler ? Does anyone know of Verragio's process, I mean, the whole time i'm looking at the setting they tell me its going to take 4-6 weeks since its custom built for the diamond. So how can anyone custom build something based on a diamond they don't have? Is this going to be common everywhere i go?
I honestly don't mind retailer making their profit, as they have overhead, but come on, be fair and don't say one thing, and sell me another.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: HELP! Trying to deal with lying e-ring salesman to get m

I'm so sorry that you've had such a bad experience. How awful. Did you make this purchase on your credit card? What terms were on the bill of sale? If it were me, I'd contest the charges thru my cc company and they will pull the $$ from the jewelers bank. That will tell them you mean business. If you didn't use your cc, but paid cash, I think you may be in a somewhat less than ideal barganing position. If that's the case, I'd call the BBB and see if there are any complaints on file, and if so, can the BBB help you in any way.

I'm really sorry. I know that this purchase was something to be happy and excited about and it's turned into what must feel like a nightmare. If you can get your $$ back, we'd be happy to help you find a great stone!

jewels2

Shiny_Rock

did you buy from them yet or only put down the $200 deposit? I would seriously RUN from this place even if I had to lose my deposit, I think it would be a small price to pay

avoidingscamhelp

Rough_Rock

I ended up paying in full for the diamond... I just didn't realize that it wasn't the right cut until I got home, and learned about the weird cert.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

But how, charge or cash? If it's charge you can file a chargeback investigation. Otherwise, RETURN IT ALL NOW. ALL. Setting, diamond EVERYTHING.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Agree with the other posters regarding calling the credit card company. Crossing my fingers for you!

Also, just a note about the setting...prices of diamonds and metals have skyrocketed, so that could be legit.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

centralsquare|1314669374|3005024 said:
Agree with the other posters regarding calling the credit card company. Crossing my fingers for you!

Also, just a note about the setting...prices of diamonds and metals have skyrocketed, so that could be legit.

I was just going to being up the increase in diamond and metal prices.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results