shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Too many (good) choices!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
(First time posting, and oddly, I''m a bit nervous...)

I''m thinking of getting either a concave cut blue sapphire from Richard Homer, a Mozambique tourmaline from Precious Gemstones, or a pastel sapphire also from Precious Gemstones.
The stones are round, between 6-7mm diameter.

My first problem is deciding which of these to get!
The second problem is deciding on a setting.

I like the Boone tension settings, particularly the Venus and Sculpted Round.
The tension settings appeal to me because they''re so unique, and pretty darn cool!
I also fell in love with quaeritur''s ring...
But for some reason, I have the feeling that these settings would work better with a diamond rather than a colored stone.

Another option is the Whiteflash Antique-Style ring.
(I still need to check that Whiteflash would set my stone...)
I think the antique style really compliments colored stones.

Opinions/advice would me much appreciated!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Boone tension 2nd one. I am not crazy about the sapphires you have posted. I don't know if it is the pictures but they don't look as sparkly as the tourmaline. It is exciting to have a project and welcome to PS
35.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
If you want a tension setting then you better check with your jeweler to see what he''ll set in a tension setting first. Tourmaline may be too soft for a tension setting and you may have to be careful as to how included the stone is too.

I love the color of the pastel sapphire on the far right. Very pretty indeed.

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
I would not tension set anything unless it were a diamond.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think that most gemstones would be too soft for tension setting. It also needs to be practically inclusion free as well. I''d check with the setter/designer first as to which gemstone he would recommend before buying the setting.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WELCOME to PS
35.gif

Maybe you could find a non tension setting that has the look of those. The settings you posted all look very nice.

I certainly understand about not knowing/being able to decide what to buy. Many stones appeal to me too! I''d like to buy more than one this month! So far I''ve just done alot of research and tried to find vendors that other PSers like and looked at stones online. I think that if you''re new to colored stones it takes a certain amount of knowledge before you''re comfortable making that first purchase.

Good Luck

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice!
I hadn''t really thought about the problems associated with tension setting a "softer" stone - thanks for pointing that out.

If I can figure out how to post a photo, here''s the Richard Homer sapphire.
Hopefully I''ll be receiving photos of the pastel sapphires and tourmaline soon.
(I actually purchased this pastel sapphire from Precious Gemstones several years ago, had it set in the Vatche Royal Crown, and I love it!)

RHomer5739bsapph.jpg

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
I love the color!

RHomer5739sideview.jpg

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
I find the curvature of the side view a bit odd (compared to diamonds), but I guess it''s not uncommon for colored stones.

RHomer5739sideviewlitebackgrnd.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the curvature is needed to get the right angles to preserve the best colour and brilliance in the gemstone. That blue sapphire has such a lovely shade of blue - not too dark and not too light.

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
From Precious Gemstones, left to right:
1.02 blue tourmaline
1.12 green tourmaline
1.40 unheated violetish blue pastel sapphire (no cert)
1.78 unheated light greenish blue (cert)

4stonesinsidedurotest.jpg

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Same stones, but in different lighting (outside, but rainy)

4stonesoutside_in_rain.jpg

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, not sure if anyone will see this, but I''ll try anyway...

I just heard back from Whiteflash - the Design Team said their Antique 3-stone setting (photo attached) cannot accommodate the Richard Homer sapphire.
(Specific reasons were not given, but perhaps it''s the depth of the sapphire?)

Anyhow, I''m rather bummed and not sure what to do next.
Jamie (from Whiteflash) asked if I''d be interested in a custom design.
I am... but I''m a bit afraid of what that might cost!
Any idea of how much more it would cost for a custom design?
(Side note: The antique 3-stone setting is $2,300 in platinum)

I think I''ll poke around in the RockyTalky forum to see if I can find price info...

wf_3stone_antique.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably the depth and "belly" bulge of the stone is preventing it from fitting into the setting. Can WF not make any modifications to semi-custom the setting to get the Homer stone in?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that''s too bad.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results