shape
carat
color
clarity

Help to solve mystery!

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey guys !! I have unsolved thing that bothers me . I purchased pre owned diamond ring , AGS VS2, I will attach certificate . So naked eye it is all look fine . But when I look on the stone through the loop , I could see black lines line in each side of the stone . First I though it’s dirt ,cleaned it millions of times . It is still there . It looks like reflection. But if it’s not a dirt,how ags could didn’t put that inclusion ?? I stopped by the jeweler and he said he never saw something like that before . Said that ags is not reliable and Gia is the only good lab. He said that he is sure it’s inclusion just AGS didt put it. But I cannot believe that AGS could miss up such a thing and didt downgrade the clarity grade ! What are your thoughts guys ??? It was very hard to capture ,but it’s very vivid in real life . I saw lots of diamonds in my life ,but it’s my first time seeing something like that 0E0116D9-5953-4C15-9721-BC516A727662.jpeg BCD22CF1-60D6-44E7-9285-DD7AAB091C1B.png 92814455-E795-48EF-B37B-D4D05FA8C293.jpeg 0012CEAD-9D19-4E11-AE89-F3ECDEFB7874.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What is listed under comments?

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
9D3BCD8C-6F94-48FB-BD7E-D18897C3F057.jpeg Hey ! Only that clouds that not shown ! I have similar stone ,same vs2, from ags s,even with same Inclusions and comments ,and it’s clean as a day

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Has the insciption been vaified?

I was expecting graining not shown.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Telling you the AGS Lab is not reliable is pretty much an obvious admission on the part of the jeweler that they are biased and have some sort of agenda to instill fear in converting you to a customer. Total garbage to do that to people, but it is all to common a practice. It works, I suppose, but the cost is loss of trust in all retailers. It has been this way as long as I can remember, The story changes, but the practice of knocking the competition or demeaning the credibility of any lab, even the really good ones, that compete with GIA is a long time theme.

I can't see much of anything inside the red circles on your photos. It could be dirt that would steam away or maybe it is a contact shadow where the diamond is touching the metal beneath the edges. It needs an honest examination by someone who wants to just be helpful. Crooked advice is very easy to obtain. An honest and knowledgeable examination can be more difficult to find, but that's what you need.

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Has the insciption been vaified?

I was expecting graining not shown.

I was thinking maybe intended natural ,but nope ! He said he could remove the stone and see ,but he may break the prong . So I decided to wait and see . I can’t believe that ags couldn’t see it .plus it’s hearts on Fire diamond so I am sure they will recheck if the stone had mirrowing inclusion .

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Telling you the AGS Lab is not reliable is pretty much an obvious admission on the part of the jeweler that they are biased and have some sort of agenda to instill fear in converting you to a customer. Total garbage to do that to people, but it is all to common a practice. It works, I suppose, but the cost is loss of trust in all retailers. It has been this way as long as I can remember, The story changes, but the practice of knocking the competition or demeaning the credibility of any lab, even the really good ones, that compete with GIA is a long time theme.

I can't see much of anything inside the red circles on your photos. It could be dirt that would steam away or maybe it is a contact shadow where the diamond is touching the metal beneath the edges. It needs an honest examination by someone who wants to just be helpful. Crooked advice is very easy to obtain. An honest and knowledgeable examination can be more difficult to find, but that's what you need.

It was very hard to capture ! But you can clearly see it with magnifying glass . I guess the only way to find out is to remove the stone . The jeweler ended steam the ring and put in ultrasonic ! He said that if there were any dirt ,it will come off

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
See if an independent appraiser on this list is near you.
I would get another in person opinion before unmounting it.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert, but there can be radiation stains in natural diamonds. It kind of looks like that to me. I would do as @Karl_K suggested.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you called the lab and asked them about it? They're pretty cooperative and they routinely have additional information in the notes.

Clarity grading from a photograph is a bad plan.

I too am with the 'dirt' theory, and I agree with David above about disparaging AGS as poor form here no matter what the answer is. I would start with:

#1 a real appraisal from a real appraiser who didn't sell this and who isn't a competitor of whoever did. Have THEM clean it while they're at it.
#2 a conversation with the lab about what they did and didn't see when they inspected the stone.
#3 assuming this is a recent purchase, a conversation with the dealer who sold it to you.

Removing the stone is a can-of-worms. It risks the prongs. That can be fixed, but it's money. It even risks the stone. I assume the reason you would do this is that you want to send it to GIA to confirm or change the grade or back to AGS to correct a possible error. I'm not clear on what the point of either of those would be but, in any case, start with the above.

Last edited:

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Have you called the lab and asked them about it? They're pretty cooperative and they routinely have additional information in the notes.

Clarity grading from a photograph is a bad plan.

I too am with the 'dirt' theory, and I agree with David above about disparaging AGS as poor form here no matter what the answer is. I would start with:

#1 a real appraisal from a real appraiser who didn't sell this and who isn't a competitor of whoever did. Have THEM clean it while they're at it.
#2 a conversation with the lab about what they did and didn't see when they inspected the stone.
#3 assuming this is a recent purchase, a conversation with the dealer who sold it to you.

Removing the stone is a can-of-worms. It risks the prongs. That can be fixed, but it's money. It even risks the stone. I assume the reason you would do this is that you want to send it to GIA to confirm or change the grade or back to AGS to correct a possible error. I'm not clear on what the point of either of those would be but, in any case, start with the above.

Thank you ! You gave me a very valuable advice ! I may just return that diamond ring and take a break . It should be exciting and not stressful ,esp right now ,when Covid is around and it’s much harder to do simple things . I say it and it seems like a perfect match to my other stone so I was super excited to do my forever studs ! If you don’t mind me asking ,what do you think is a good price for that diamond on pre owned market?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, I don't give prices sight unseen and without a significant discussion on the market being considered. FWIW, I also charge to do that. That said, I'll be happy to take a look. My contact info is at the foot of every one of my posts.

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, I don't give prices sight unseen and without a significant discussion on the market being considered. FWIW, I also charge to do that. That said, I'll be happy to take a look. My contact info is at the foot of every one of my posts.

I would with love being the ring to you! If the distance wasn’t a problem . I am in Houston ! But thank you a lot for your opinion ! I messaged the seller . I still dotnt know what to do with the diamond. It completely clean to naked eye , but I guess it’s just my head that lives everything clean . I may email to AGS and see what they say

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results