shape
carat
color
clarity

Help this visiting Aussie decide between these 3 diamonds

mincooly67

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone… I’m a first time poster but have been lurking around this site for several months. I’m visiting a friend in LA for 3 weeks (from 3rd Aug) and am on a mission to purchase a loose diamond and engagement ring setting whilst here.

I have shortlisted 3 diamonds and would like to get the expert opinion of fellow pricescope members.

I can only insert 4 attachments at a time so will post the other 2 attachments after submitting this.

HCA Scores
1.38ct = .8 (I am yet to view under idealscope)
1.40ct = 1.4
1.30ct = 2.9 (Viewed the 1.40 & 1.30 under idealscope and the 1.30 performed the best out of the two)

My parameters for RBC are:
Price: Up to $12,500 for diamond
Size: 1.25 - 1.40 ct
Lab: GIA or AGS
Cut: Excellent
Color: G - H
Clarity: VS2 - SI1 if eye clean (prefer for inclusions to be off to the side and not in centre of diamond)
Symmetry: Excellent to Very Good
Polish: Excellent to Good
Fluorescence: None - Faint

Thanks in advance for your help!

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 8.22.01 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 8.22.18 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 8.23.47 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 8.25.41 PM.png

mincooly67

Rough_Rock
Re: Help this visiting Aussie decide between these 3 diamond

Here are the other 2 attachments...

Two of the diamonds are not in my exact parameters but I thought I wouldn't rule them out yet without advice from this forum.

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 8.19.16 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 8.20.07 PM.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1. Have you confirmed with the jeweller(s) that the stone can be set within your timeframe? From my own experiences I don't think custom will be possible, semi-custom will be tight even with pre-arranging things with your jeweller. You'll also need to leave a couple of days on the end for an appraisal, etc. If it's a stock setting it shouldn't be a problem.

2. Of those two prefer the first. The second promises to be a very bright stone, usually stones w/ those proportions are spready (face up larger for the ct wt than differently proportioned stones) but the gains in this one are weighed down by the thick girdle hiding weight (also the reason for the cut downgrade).

GIA report# for 3?

3. Be sure to compare them in various types of lighting and find out which you prefer over a variety of day-to-day lighting environments - in direct sunlight by a window, in diffuse office lights, in the dimness under a desk, under the counter spotlights. The two you've got there will perform quite differently, if you are sensitive to such nuances. You may or may not be.

mincooly67

Rough_Rock

Hi Yssie,

Thanks so much for replying :)

In answer to your points...

1. I mentioned to the jeweller(s) that I am in LA for another 2 weeks and then in Hawaii for 6 days (leaving 30th Aug). They have said it is possible but I would probably need to make a decision in the next few days. If worst comes to worst I will just get the diamond and decide on a setting once I get back home. I still have a few jewellers to visit to look at settings. I'm thinking of going for a cushion shaped halo setting... I have seen one on here that Mayk had made at Sareen Jewelry in LA so I plan to go see them tomorrow.

My main priority is getting the diamond... once I have done that I will be able to relax a little :) I've been told if I come home empty handed I'll be in a defacto relationship for the rest of my life! I sometimes wish that I had never opened my big mouth and suggested to my boyfriend that I could save money (by purchasing in the US) and find my own engagement ring :)

FYI, in order to save on California sales tax I will have to have the goods shipped to me in Hawaii. If the setting is not purchased from the same jeweller as where I purchase the stone, who should set the stone and at what point should it go to the appraisers? If I do purchase the setting from the same jeweller do I just need to get it appraised once set?

2. I also prefer diamond # 1 (1.38ct). It has a number of feather inclusions... are these ok? It scored very well on the HCA calculator with a score of .8 if this counts for anything. The jeweller showed me this diamond through the H&A viewer but I haven't seen it through the idealscope yet. It is also $1,000 cheaper than the other 2 stones which has to be a bonus!

GIA Report for # 3 was in my second post.

I just realised that on stone # 1 the crown and pavilion angle figures are cropped. The crown angle is 35.0 degrees and the pavilion angle is 40.6 degrees.

3. I looked at stone # 1 in the various types of lighting. The other 2 diamonds were viewed in an office near direct sunlight by the window. I wasn't able to walk around with the stones.

Cheers,
Michelle

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NP. Where in Australia are you? I grew up in Brisbane ::)

mincooly67|1312956437|2987769 said:
Hi Yssie,

Thanks so much for replying :)

In answer to your points...

1. I mentioned to the jeweller(s) that I am in LA for another 2 weeks and then in Hawaii for 6 days (leaving 30th Aug). They have said it is possible but I would probably need to make a decision in the next few days. If worst comes to worst I will just get the diamond and decide on a setting once I get back home. I still have a few jewellers to visit to look at settings. I'm thinking of going for a cushion shaped halo setting... I have seen one on here that Mayk had made at Sareen Jewelry in LA so I plan to go see them tomorrow.

My main priority is getting the diamond... once I have done that I will be able to relax a little :) I've been told if I come home empty handed I'll be in a defacto relationship for the rest of my life! I sometimes wish that I had never opened my big mouth and suggested to my boyfriend that I could save money (by purchasing in the US) and find my own engagement ring :)

FYI, in order to save on California sales tax I will have to have the goods shipped to me in Hawaii. If the setting is not purchased from the same jeweller as where I purchase the stone, who should set the stone and at what point should it go to the appraisers? If I do purchase the setting from the same jeweller do I just need to get it appraised once set?

When you get the appraisal(s) depends mostly on what you're most comfortable with. 2 of them have 2011 GIA reports, which is good b/c one can assume that the stone won't have chips/scratches thanks to being set poorly in the past (you can ask to confirm) - which means that the stone you're buying is in exactly the condition indicated on the GIA report. So assuming the stone and the report match, there's little reason to have the diamond appraised loose if you're having the same vendor set the stone. You can have your vendor sit down with you and point out the stone's characteristic inclusions w/ a loupe and match them to the plots on the report, then you'll always know how to ID your stone (pick up a cheapy loupe whilst you're there, or get one off ebay for $10)

If you're having a different vendor set the stone you'll need to get the stone insured for setting, for which you'll need the loose stone appraisal, so in this case you'll have to pony up for two appraisals. It's much easier to have the same vendor do all the work - less expense, no finger-pointing and insurance hassle should something go wrong!

2. I also prefer diamond # 1 (1.38ct). It has a number of feather inclusions... are these ok? It scored very well on the HCA calculator with a score of .8 if this counts for anything. The jeweller showed me this diamond through the H&A viewer but I haven't seen it through the idealscope yet. It is also $1,000 cheaper than the other 2 stones which has to be a bonus!

Feathers - in a reputably graded (GIA/AGS in the US) SI1 should not pose durability risks. The clarity grade tells you nothing about real-world visibility though, so you'll want to decide what "eyeclean" means to you - clean from 6" faceup, 12", from the sides as well? - and vet the stones/have your vendor vet the stones to your specifications. This is another time to inspect in different types of light - inclusions can be strangely visible and invisible in diffuse office lights vs. direct sunlight, say! You can always confirm the feather's aren't going to pose setting/wearing trouble, but in a sizable SI1 w/ a med girdle I can't imagine that will be the case.

GIA Report for # 3 was in my second post.

I just realised that on stone # 1 the crown and pavilion angle figures are cropped. The crown angle is 35.0 degrees and the pavilion angle is 40.6 degrees.

oops must have been posting at the same time! Same problem w/ #3 as w/ #2 - the overly thick girdle counterbalances the normal gains in spread w/ such proportions. To clarify - the *numbers* themselves on all three could yield beautiful stones (just can't know for sure without more info than what is provided on the GIA report) - it's just the girdle thickness I object to. They'll be different in look and performance type, you mentioned you liked #3 better than #2 so it seems that you are drawn to very bright stones w/ lots of splintery white light return over stones w/ fewer, larger flashes of colour... or maybe not, as you didn't have the chance to inspect in a variety of lights. I can't recommend doing that enough.

3. I looked at stone # 1 in the various types of lighting. The other 2 diamonds were viewed in an office near direct sunlight by the window. I wasn't able to walk around with the stones.

Cheers,
Michelle

mincooly67

Rough_Rock

Yssie|1312958818|2987779 said:
NP. Where in Australia are you? I grew up in Brisbane ::)

I have lived on the Gold Coast most of my life. My boyfriend is a Brisbane boy too. Where do you live now?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Across the world in California. Been here for a decade, still spell with 'u's and 'oe's ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results