shape
carat
color
clarity

Help? The Lost Tourmaline: A Sob Story

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
I recently purchased a 3 1/2 carat (9.5mm), precision cut, round dark pink tourmaline... It was a sleepy stone, a mauve/pink with beautiful flashes of hot pink. I bought it because it was my brother's birthstone and this August is the ten year anniversary of his passing (at age 20). Well, I fell in love with the gem because it was somewhat mysterious too. I made arrangements to send it along to DanielM for a custom setting. I was just getting ready to package it for mailing and thought, "maybe I'll take a photo first, since it'll be gone for about four weeks". Bad idea. I stepped out onto my back porch to take a picture in the sunlight.... and it rolled off my hand, bounced off the porch and landed God knows where... I spent about an hour combing the grass for it... Nothing. I'm just so sick I could cry....

So, please...pleaaaase....if anyone sees a nice round pink tourmaline/rubellite out there... let me know? Post a link? I want to proceed with my project as soon as possible, since I've already paid the deposit on the setting. I'm afraid I won't find one I love quite as much...but I'm going to look anyway.... :(

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending dust your way. I would keep looking at different times of day when the light could hit it differently each time and maybe cause it to sparkle in the grass. Also, I would try a flashlight at night. And if its gone for good, I would like to think that its with your brother.

It would be helpful to post a pic, even a vendor pic, so we know what you're aiming for.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Truly, if it went in the grass, it can wiggle down to (and in to) the dirt really quickly....
That's what I learned.... :errrr:

Take your time. Get a relaxed feeling, and tell yourself
"I WILL find my stone"
Then just work in small grids.
you can part the grass, use a small penlight to see if you can see some sparkle...
minous is right, different times of day and lighting might be helpful.
If it bounced into the grass, then it's there.
You have time.
I bet you will be lucky !!!!

DUST !!!!!

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I really am going to continue to look... I called my husband at work and as soon as he's home, he's going to hunt as well... though he sounded a little bewildered by the tragedy of it all. "You're not crying...are you?" Ummm. No?

I've attached the only two photos I have. So, just in case I can't find it, maybe I'll be able to find a back up gem.

Thanks again!

;) 043.JPG

;) 046.JPG

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
i'm really sorry to hear that, I do hope you will find the stone! sending tones of dusts your way!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish it were a fluorescent stone.. as it stands... maybe a very small rake cod work?
As to replacement stones, I find Bob Kast's stones to be the best quality /cut/price-wise.
My best wishes are with you.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous stone! I see why you're so heartbroken (beyond the sentiment). I hope you have success in finding it.

I really hope you find it :sick: *dust* your way!

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Lost Tourmaline: A Sob Story with a happy ending!!!!

THANK YOU for all the *dust* and great advice!!!! As suggested, I waited til sunset and went out to the grass with a flashlight.... and there it was!! Now, I spent hours combing the yard this afternoon and nothing. But tonight, the flashlight caught a hot pink glimmer in between the blades of grass. I'm thrilled to death and incredibly relieved! Thanks so much for all your help!

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
I am SOOO happy you found it! Congratulations-- it's a beautiful stone, with wonderful personal significance for you.

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I can't even begin to tell you how relieved I am... I swear, I wouldn't have been able to sleep tonight if I hadn't found it. I was so mad at myself. Never taking the cover off the gem holder outside again...lesson learned the hard way. Ack.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'm relieved for your too!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so happy that you found it. Especially since it has a special meaning, and serves a purpose.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Yay! So glad you found it.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
that's great news~ glad you found it!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SO happy for you that it is found. What a great ending :appl:

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I was so excited when I saw it out there in the grass. I'm glad someone mentioned waiting until dark and using a flashlight. Whew! Did I get lucky! I'm sending this stone out in the mail first thing tomorrow... before I do anything else lame. :lol:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you were very very very lucky! great idea re looking in the grass at night with a flashlight. congrats on your project!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on finding your amazing stone!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
So glad you found it! You must be VERY relieved - and a very beautiful stone!

It's so easy to do - I dropped a andalusite during a mock exam, onto the brown carpet in the classroom. Nightmare - my tutor, me and three others were scrabbling about like crazy with flashlights and lamps asssuming the 'gemmologist's position' * looking for it (and me feeling guilty because others were wasting time helping me find my stone), it's amazing how far they can ping.

* Gemmologist's Position TM - on hands and knees, nose to floor, butt in air, shuffle slowly... :bigsmile:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yesterday my husband and older son departed to the East Coast, and I spend several hours in this position in my dressing room, trying to find that 5-ct garnet... Found several pairs of new shoes that I brought from Germany, but no garnet!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results