shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! The clock is ticking.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gr8fulDave

Rough_Rock
Hi all:

I just put the below-listed JA diamond on hold and have 48 hours to make up my mind if it''s a keeper.
The GIA report is not online but it was faxed to me and the plot looks amazingly clean for an SI2. Also, it is ideal cut and not an H&A but the numbers on it place it in a AGS0 range on the HCA. The JA rep. says it is eye-clean from the table and that all SI diamonds are going to show inclusions if viewed from the side or the culet. In any event, he says that once it is set, it''s a moot point because you are just going to see the table. I''ve used the JA 18x online loupe and it is still hard to find the inclusions, at least to my very untrained eyes.

So, am I missing something here or is this diamond a great find? What am I losing by not having it an H&A when the numbers look so good?

Thanks in advance for your continued assistance.

Item Number: 1133574
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.02
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 62.1%
Table: 56.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.45*6.43*4.00

Crown angle is 35
Pavilion angle is 40.8

HCA is 1.6 and Excellent for Light Return, Fire Scintillation and VG for spread

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everything looks great!! If it''s eye clean, it should be a keeper!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think overall it looks fab, just make sure that the "grade" wasn't made by one large cloud because that could affect the brilliance of the stone. Otherwise sounds like you are good to go.

As for the H&A, it is important to some to see the pattern, and not for others. As long as your girl hasn't specified that she wants an H&A, I wouldn't worry about it!

cncn2002

Rough_Rock
I''m not a professional; yet, I am one step behind you in the process and I found that referring to the Pricescope''s advanced tutorial helped me pinpoint the most important factors to me when choosing a diamond. Here is what I used:http://diamonds.pricescope.com/round.asp
I actually used the princess cut chart instead of the round but you get the picture.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to clarify something in your original post- not ALL SI diamonds will show inclusions from the side or culet- I have an SI1 that is completely eye clean from all angles and know there are others here with SI1 and SI2's that can say the same thing. I guess it depends on the type of inclusion.

Gr8fulDave

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone''s help. I have been rereading a lot of the threads about SI2 diamonds and it does appear that you can get lucky and find an eyeclean SI2 that is a deal. JA was nice enough to have their GIA certified gemologist in NY pull the stone and discuss it with me on the phone and she has assured me that it is an excellent diamond and that no one will be able to see the inclusions. I haven''t pulled the trigger yet but my finger is getting itchy. If anyone else wants to look at the stats or online photo on this diamond and chime in, I would welcome the additional validation that I have made a good choice.

Thanks again for the hand-holding and the assistance.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Just out of curiosity, what is the grade-setting inclusion? From the 18x picture online, it looks really clean. Is there a cloud/carbon/natural/etc listed on the GIA report?

Gr8fulDave

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 4:05:52 PM
Author: mercoledi
Just out of curiosity, what is the grade-setting inclusion? From the 18x picture online, it looks really clean. Is there a cloud/carbon/natural/etc listed on the GIA report?

I''m glad I''m not the only one who couldn''t find anything significant looking at the 18x online photo.
21.gif
The GIA report was e-mailed to my AOL account and I can''t get into AOL for some reason. According to JA the grade-setting inclusion is in the bezel facet at about one o''clock; it''s a dark greyish area.

Gr8fulDave

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 4:05:52 PM

OK, I got into AOL and the GIA report lists "cloud" and "feather" under the plot and under comments it says "additional clouds not shown." I think I see a feather at about one o''clock on the 18x picture. The JA gemologist said the clouds are small.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Cool, thanks! I do see the darkness at 1 and some other small things that may be dust or tiny inclusions. Is it yours now?

Gr8fulDave

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 5:15:54 PM
Cool, thanks! I do see the darkness at 1 and some other small things that may be dust or tiny inclusions. Is it yours now?

I thought I saw another feather at eleven o''clock but JA said it was dust.
21.gif
I have until tomorrow to decide, so I''m going to sleep on it but I''m 99% sure. I''m so darn indecisive; no wonder it is taking me over a decade to get remarried.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results