shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Tell me about this 3.56c Asscher with Table 73% (9.31mm) -KarlK, DiamondSeeker anyone? Thanks!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Simple single-stone rings with diamond kaleidoscopes are beautiful! ,)

Perhaps this one? WWW

Or - WWW ?

I have kept in mind that they should be 7 X 7 mm at least, in line with the other stones mentioned (cca. 8X7, 7X7)

Then, there is this D/SI1 - I see the smudge too, but not without letting the images fill the screen (high magnification). In any case, I mention this one to point to the profile: a high crown, and almost dome-like pavilion - as opposed to a pyramid-like straight slope from crown to culet: such arrangements of steps provide that rich glitter expected of Asschers; I do not see many made this way & much more often in small sizes, up to one carat.

2c

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
$18k all in? The current ring, completed, is near $25k, is it not?
Am I missing something, or am I reading posts, incorrectly? Where did $25k come from in this conversation? I know you stated your initial budget was under $18k, but $25k was mentioned.
Honestly, I don’t see you keeping this entire project around $18k for the size of diamond you’re seeking, with 2 side stones + the setting. You CAN get a high quality, large center stone in the setting for your budget, but the side stones will jack up the price.
I found this beauty for $17k.
That only leaves $1k for side stones & the setting, which will be tough.
The stone is considerably smaller than what you’re looking at, but it’s higher quality.
If nothing else, use this as another example of a well-performing Asscher to compare to the videos you get of the ring you are considering to determine what you want to do.

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/2.51-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-4979984

Agree on the total budget point here. If you wat the size, you will have to potentially go down significantly on one of the c’s. We all agree that cut is important, and to you the spread is important, maybe we can go down the color scale if your lady will be ok?

Here is a decent K already set in three-stone setting similar to the taste of yours with spread closer to your range. I have seen it in person and have videos of it but for some reason can’t be uploaded to YouTube for now. Happy to share with you all here to get a sanity check as soon as I find a way to upload. The seller is willing to sell for $25kish.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-3-65CT...822306?hash=item1ef022a962:g:E2AAAOSwBkRaBHiA

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Yes that is nice @clcat120. However the table is 1% larger but the depth on it is 5/6% more so could work. I will say I do NOT think it a large table on step cuts/fancy cuts is bad, I think it has to do with so much else. Perhaps the seller has ASET images?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those asking about OP’s budget, he said earlier:
Budget was less than 25k. Perhaps 18k.

His originally-posted ring had a sticker price of $25K, and the jeweler came down several thousand off that in offering it to OP. So it sounds Iike his ‘all-in’ budget is $18K including the setting.

@StephenK - If I may, I would suggest you consider choosing the best Asscher Cut you/we can find, and set it in a nice solitaire setting for now, and perhaps plan to upgrade the setting to include side stones for an anniversary/down the road. There are great settings & solitaires that really enhance the cut (I’m eyeing a few myself right for my own recent asscher purchase). Knowing your intended’s taste/style would help in suggesting options. :wavey:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Agree on the total budget point here. If you wat the size, you will have to potentially go down significantly on one of the c’s. We all agree that cut is important, and to you the spread is important, maybe we can go down the color scale if your lady will be ok?

Here is a decent K already set in three-stone setting similar to the taste of yours with spread closer to your range. I have seen it in person and have videos of it but for some reason can’t be uploaded to YouTube for now. Happy to share with you all here to get a sanity check as soon as I find a way to upload. The seller is willing to sell for $25kish.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-3-65CT...822306?hash=item1ef022a962:g:E2AAAOSwBkRaBHiA

Here is the video:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
New Finding :geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2:: https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/119767...58-B7iXKuqQ_OFE51Px5IZJIpcP4tYpgaAgp2EALw_wcB

What a beauty...I even want it for myself! hahah

@StephenK: this is in your parameters!!! With solitaire setting, it is within your budget! It could look beautiful in solitaire! Don't do halo because that's darkens the stone.

His budget is $18K ... all-in. Unless he decides to increase his budget, we should focus on stones that are under $18K and leave room for a setting.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephenK:
Are you willing to forego the 3 stone & go for the solitaire, in order to achieve the quality you should have in your center stone?
Honestly, step-cuts show body color far more than brilliant cuts. I wouldn’t drop below an I, unless you know your intended will appreciate the warm glow of a J and lower.
Sacrificing clarity would be foolish, as step-cuts also show inclusions more than brilliant cuts.
Color & clarity will jack the price of the center stone, but if you can spot a 2.50-2.90+ct Asscher with VG+ Symm/VG+Polish Cut within EX parameters, at an eye clean SI1-VS2 clarity and I+ color within your $18k all in budget, you will have found something beautiful that will out-perform the less than stellar honker you are considering.
Fancies are not usually graded on Cut. Some ARE. If you can find a certificate that grades an Asscher’s Cut at EX or above (extremely rare), and it ticks your boxes near your max budget, snatch it up!
I believe that to achieve a 3 stone at an all in budget of $18k of great quality, you need to sacrifice size, and start over.
Knowing the order of priority of your 4C’s would be extremely helpful to all of us.
Now, if Cut quality is low on the list, and you love the ring you are considering, then, go for it. Otherwise, we need to begin at the beginning.

StephenK

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I tremendously appreciate so many insights and thoughtful responses. I've looked at all of the recommended other stones and rings, and have seriously considered several of them.

Here are some videos I took of the ring I originally posted on.
Unfortunately, the room only had fluorescent lights.

thanks,
Stephen

P.S. I did call Diamond Violet to inquire into the post that clcat120 posted about above:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish I could say I’m pleasantly surprised, but I can’t. Seeing too much black/leakage/ dead spots from the videos. Could still be the camera lens, hard to tell. The videos are not great for judging performance. I’m still wondering how you feel about the beauty of the stone? Do you think it is lively, sparkles and is beautiful? Since we are all not seeing in person you truly have to be the judge. Maybe take a friend or 2 to see it if you are really conflicted.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephenK:
On the left: your Asscher.
On the right: @Emeraldsaremyfavorite’s example of a near-perfect Asscher.
BAD0C4E0-18F5-462F-ADD6-B4680A38AEC1.jpeg

Can you see the difference? It is important to demonstrate, side by side, exactly what it is that we are looking for in your Asscher that we are not able to see: brightness across the stone, and consistent, lively steps.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I tremendously appreciate so many insights and thoughtful responses. I've looked at all of the recommended other stones and rings, and have seriously considered several of them.

Here are some videos I took of the ring I originally posted on.
Unfortunately, the room only had fluorescent lights.

thanks,
Stephen

P.S. I did call Diamond Violet to inquire into the post that clcat120 posted about above:

I am not trying to dissuade you; this is my analysis.

This is a Vintage, Square Emerald Cut, not an Asscher. I know most labs will list Asschers as “Square Emerald Cuts”, unless they are a true Royal Asscher, or meet very strict criteria to be called an Asscher, but the l x w dimensions of the stone pull it out of Asscher listing territory. I believe it is a much better option than the originally posted Square Emerald Cut OP is considering.

It is K in color, which may cause one to pause, esp. if you don’t know how your intended feels about warmer tones.

This ring is listed $10K above your all in budget. If you can talk the seller down $10k, find out what the return policy is; I strongly advise you observe this stone in every lighting environment possible in order to see how the body color of this stone looks in person, in every possible lighting situation before proposing. It’s very white in photos, but not all lighting environment is forgiving.

You can’t beat the VVS clarity.

To those of us who appreciate the old world glow of warm colored diamonds, this ring is gorgeous, and at $28k, it’s already a steal. If you can get it for $18k, we need to be close friends. lol!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-3-65CT...NE-ENGAGEMENT-WEDDING-RING-PLAT-/132877822306

Here is the GIA certificate (the one attached to the listing is not clear):
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2175810493&s=1545131025296

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am not trying to dissuade you; this is my analysis.

This is a Vintage, Square Emerald Cut, not an Asscher. I know most labs will list Asschers as “Square Emerald Cuts”, unless they are a true Royal Asscher, or meet very strict criteria to be called an Asscher, but the l x w dimensions of the stone pull it out of Asscher listing territory. I believe it is a much better option than the originally posted Square Emerald Cut OP is considering.

It is K in color, which may cause one to pause, esp. if you don’t know how your intended feels about warmer tones.

This ring is listed $10K above your all in budget. If you can talk the seller down $10k, find out what the return policy is; I strongly advise you observe this stone in every lighting environment possible in order to see how the body color of this stone looks in person, in every possible lighting situation before proposing. It’s very white in photos, but not all lighting environment is forgiving.

You can’t beat the VVS clarity.

To those of us who appreciate the old world glow of warm colored diamonds, this ring is gorgeous, and at $28k, it’s already a steal. If you can get it for $18k, we need to be close friends. lol!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-3-65CT...NE-ENGAGEMENT-WEDDING-RING-PLAT-/132877822306

Here is the GIA certificate (the one attached to the listing is not clear):
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2175810493&s=1545131025296

Great analysis @Matthews1127 ! Agree with all your points. My personal taste is more toward a well cut squared emerald. When I have real cash, I’ll buy a Royal Asscher for fun. To me, an Royal Asscher is a little too round. That couples with the fact it retains so much belly weight will make it look more like a ball sticking out of my finger once it gets to the size I want which is likely 5-6ct. Lollll!!!!:lol-2:

So mine is similar to this one, with bright table and vivid flashes of white and rainbow light. I liked mine more for the price, the spread, and the cut. I did spend a little more for mine than the $25k asking price of the K though.

I personally really liked this K when I went to try it on. It looks relatively white in both the intense lighting and day light (I didn’t take a picture when I went to see it at the window). The stone has life. The faint fluorescence will help hide the tint just a little when the sun is out. I actually like the half moon side stones of this K more than my side trillions. The contrast between a trillion and an asscher or emerald is quite significant.

I saw a 6.08ct beautiful K color (I think Royal) asscher at Kwiat store on Madison Ave. It has a very lemon-ish yellow to it but very lively and sparkly. It’s a very deep cut so the color really showed. I wish I took a picture for you! Maybe I’ll go there again to take some picture and videos.

@StephenK: the K on eBay is one worth exploring. If you are in NYC, you definitely should take a look in person. If your girlfriend is really pale (I am not as you can see from all videos) or super picky about things (like color coordinations and getting exactly what she wants in order to be content - think If there was a time that she complained about some new piece of clothes she bought didn’t come in the right “shade of blue”...):mrgreen2: maybe bring a female friend to see some stones in person BUT pick out the ones you like before hand and don’t mix E and K colors together because then she will not be very helpful.... lol. Put a decent H for comparison if you want to gauge her take on whiter&smaller vs. warmer&larger.

Good luck!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a 6.08ct beautiful K color (I think Royal) asscher at Kwiat store on Madison Ave. It has a very lemon-ish yellow to it but very lively and sparkly. It’s a very deep cut so the color really showed. I wish I took a picture for you! Maybe I’ll go there again to take some picture and videos.
Pics are seriously needed ;-) :lol:

StephenK

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the tremendously helpful guidance.

In the end I went with the 3.56 c Asscher I originally asked about.

Finally, I have the ring in hand, and — when the time comes — I think she will love it.

Cheers,
Stephen

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Finally, I have the ring in hand, and — when the time comes — I think she will love it.

Cheers,
Stephen
Oooh, please do post pictures when the question has been asked and it is on her finger, if you are both happy to do so :))

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats! And yes, can’t wait to see pictures, what a special time for you :)

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
2A59220E-C598-42EA-B890-AF21C8668CD4.jpeg

Cheers,
Stephen

For your inspiration of the next step... I found those band at an antique store on Madison Avenue... $6,500... lol. Modeling in my 4.5 size finger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results