shape
carat
color
clarity

Help-Suggestions for e-ring diamond w/emeralds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drmoze

Rough_Rock
I''m new here, and need help in putting a ring together. Based on what I know about my f2b (and a few dropped hints!), I''m looking at a ring like the following, but details are still hazy/flexible:

18k yellow setting
Diamond: 1.5-2c radiant, slightly rectangular
Side stones: one emerald on each side

Now for all the questions!

Has anyone seen a ring like this? (A pic would help me a lot!)

Any special color considerations in view of the yellow ring and emeralds?
(I want a diamond with lots of brilliance/sparkle, accented by the emeralds)

How big should the emeralds be to provide a nice surround but not detract from the diamond?

What kind of mount for the emeralds? (I assume not prongs b/c they''re fragile, and I''d like as sturdy a ring as possible.)

Any other diamond shapes that would work well with this? (Has to be a princess, cushion, radiant - no round/marquise and not an emerald cut--I want more sparkle!)

What shape for emeralds?

And if this ever gets figured out, then where to get such a ring? I have no problem getting a diamond online, but am more in the dark about the emeralds. I also live in NYC and would be happy to buy from a good dealer/designer (stones, setting or both).

Sorry for so many questions but I finally have an idea of the ring I want and realized that trying to figure out the rest on my own would take forever!
33.gif

Any ideas or pointers to other threads/websites would be most welcome!
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi! It sounds like you are off to a great start.

I have a few questions: First, what is your budget?

Second: What size center stone are you looking for?

Third: Does it have to be emeralds... or will other beautiful dark green stones work as well?

WELCOME TO PRICE SCOPE!

My first impression is of a square hearts and arrows or a Flanders from GOG with Tsavorite/emerald sides in a threestone with double claw prongs made by Leon Mage in 18 K.
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also would not use emeralds in a ring to be worn 24/7. The jewelers here usually recommend against it. I''d only use sapphires or ruby as colored stones in an-e-ring since they are the next hardest to diamonds. There are green sapphires. But there has been a ring around here before made with emerald sidestones. I''ll take a quick look and see if I can find it.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
ya cain't clean emeralds. I would go with tsavorite garnet or tourmaline.

helzberg diamonds makes a reasonable three stone ring with real emeralds. but in round, not radiant.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
My first e-ring, from H-1, was an emerald with two side diamonds. I always had to be so careful with it. Be sure that''s what she really wants. It''s difficult to clean and care for
39.gif
YMMV.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 5:43:45 PM
Author: Gypsy
Hi! It sounds like you are off to a great start.

I have a few questions: First, what is your budget?

Second: What size center stone are you looking for?

Third: Does it have to be emeralds... or will other beautiful dark green stones work as well?

WELCOME TO PRICE SCOPE!

My first impression is of a square hearts and arrows or a Flanders from GOG with Tsavorite/emerald sides in a threestone with double claw prongs made by Leon Mage in 18 K.
30.gif
Yes that sounds terrific !!
30.gif

drmoze

Rough_Rock
And this is why I decided to start asking questions here!
1.gif

I think another dark green stone would be fine. Was hoping maybe a full-perimeter mount for the emerald would be "safe." I''ll start looking at those other green stone options (green sapphire, etc.) ; as always, any pointers are welcome!

Center stone will hopefully be around 1.5-2c. Budget will hopefully be under $15k. Would not mind paying less than that, of course.
2.gif

Maybe triangular side stones with a radiant/cushion center?

Gypsy, I feel like you''ve been thinking about this more than I have!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
most genuine emeralds are waxed or oiled, which means you can't wash them with degreaser such as detergents. and you can't put them in an ultrasonic to clean them. which means your diamond is going to look yicky bad in a week.

unless you can find genuine emeralds with no inclusions?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! Gypsy has been thinking of her own setting for quite awhile! As have many of us here!

I absolutely love side trapeziods with a radiant. And if you go with a ring designer like Leon Mege, he will source your sidestones for you. I didn''t know he''d work in yellow gold, though. So you might want to ask that. I''ll try to find a radiant with side traps for you to see.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tsavorite or green tourmaline would be the way to go. Emeralds are so fragile, and you don''t want her to have to baby this ring as she will be wearing it 24/7l. www.engagementringsdirect.com Call Mark and see what he can find for you. He''s in NYC. And check out settings at www.theartofplatinum.com Leon Mege does amazing work. Good luck!!!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
hey, had an idea. How about an 18k plain solitaire for the radiant with an 18k yellow gold wrap holding the emeralds? like strm's wifey to be ring? separable for cleaning.

there was an 14k emerald wrap on ebay......

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
r334-03W.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like tsavorite and tourmaline, but they are not as hard as sapphire. Most people do not realize that sapphire comes in green. But you have to have someone who can access the beautiful colors of green for you. Here''s one that is close to emerald color, just so you can see that they exist! (This one is from the Natural Sapphire Company, but they don''t have much in green right now.)

U42_1_TH

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find, Sharon!

Pala also has some pretty greens (again, not the size and shape, but to show you some green sapphires):

12227.jpg
11659.jpg
13136.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i like the green sapphires!

mlopros on ebay has a matched pair of green diamonds

drmoze

Rough_Rock
Wow is this forum fast!

OK, I''m steering away from emeralds and I like the tsavorite, or maybe green tourmaline.

Diamondseeker, that pic you posted looks a lot like what I was thinking of. I imagine it would look nice with green sides.

And, interestingly, Leon Mege is in the same building as my optometrist, less than 2 blocks from work....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TG-5599C.jpg

Thanks DS--you and I were posting at the same time!
Here is a round pair of Tsavorite Garnets from AC Stones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha... I've got settings on the mind.

I would honestly leave the side stones entirely up to Leon... I'd have him source them and pick the shape for them. Estimating 5K for the setting and sidestones. I really would look into getting a 10K center-- a nice radiant or cushion G-H color SI clarity or shaped center... and as Kaleigh suggested I would give Mark T at ERD a call for the center as well as Goodoldgold (long island... worth asking for an appointment to see flanders and square hearts and arrows). I would ask Leon if he will work in yellow gold for you and take it from there. That man makes the nicest threestone rings I've even seen.

It's going to look stunning and on pain of ... pain you must post the resulting ring for us to see!

ETA: You have us, Leon where you can get to him, and the perfect budget for your request. You're doing a great job!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
half moons can be very interesting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2007 1:42:29 AM
Author: JulieN
half moons can be very interesting.

My favorite three stone combo! Square cushions with halfmoons... the only reason I didn't want to suggest that is the overall.... roundness of it all. She doesn't seem to want roundness... and I thought that would roundify (lol) the ring.

But... that is my FAVORITE combo. Personally I'd do this setting with green tsavorite half moons. Baguettes and all.
30.gif

Leon%205%20stone%20dream.jpg

Just what a cusory glance garnered:

Cut corner square brilliant:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2583/ Best for budget and size.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2436/ (over budget but yummy)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2426/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2772/

drmoze

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the additional suggestions! I think green half-moons may work, or perhaps the setting further up posted on 2/17/2007 at 6:08:21 PM. And Gypsy, that ''over budget'' suggestion looks tempting. I hope I won''t be stretching the budget too much already!

Do you think a square brilliant would work better than a radiant (what''s the difference anyway?) or a cushion? or an Aascher? I''m looking for a square/rectangular stone with lots of ''fire'' that will also look nice between 2 green sapphires or tsavorites.

I''ll probably also talk with both Mark at ERD and Leon at AoP. Does anyone know if Leon works with yellow gold? Any thoughts on yellow gold vs. white/Pt for this type of ring? (Pt would be an option, although I have gathered a general preference for yellow gold, consistent with most of her other jewelry.) I have no problem leaving side stone choice to the ''experts''!

Do Mark/Leon offer their own diamonds too, or would it be cheaper to buy one direct and then talk to them about settings?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cc sq br is a square radiant.

each one, I would set differently. Asscher with trapezoids or tapered baguettes. Cushion in a halo. Radiants with half moons.

mark, of course, sells diamonds.

For PS clients, Leon usually sources the sides, but not the center. He has some yellow gold pieces on his site.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of you want brilliance and fire... asschers are not for you. An asscher is a square emerald cut. And you''ve said you don''t want an emerald cut.

Mark T does lovely halos and pave...but for a three stone .. Leon is your guy for the setting and the side stones. I would worry about finding the nicest center then turning it over to Leon for chosing the shape of the sidestones to compliment your center (trillions would be lovely with the square brilliants I posted for you ) and for finding a nice pair.

We suggested Mark T for you, not for settings, but for cushions. He finds the most amazing cushions for people.

Here''s what I suggest: Call Mark T tell him you are looking for a square cushion, completely eye clean, G of better. 10 K buget, best and biggest he can find.

Then call GOG and ask them for an appointment to go and see the diamonds posted above. Put one on hold if you like it.

Then go and look at the cushion Mark will have picked out for you.

They are completely different looks. Pick the one that says "PICK ME" to you.

Turn the puppy over to Leon, tell him you want either a three stone or five stone. No rounds. Tsavorite sides, his pick, his judgement. 18K setting with a platinum head for the center stone.

And your golden.

You get that ring.... we are going to need at least five good picks of it.
9.gif

drmoze

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, after your detailed description it sounds like I won''t even need to post pics!
2.gif
(But I will. The help here has been great!)

You gave me what sounds like a great plan. I really like Leon''s 3-stone settings, and feel comfortable with letting him source the sides. Time to hunt down the centerpiece now...
10.gif
Forgive me if it takes a while, as I''ll be traveling over the next 2 weeks. But I will post any updates here!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please do, can''t wait!
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to your progress. Gypsy has given you great ideas. Can''t wait to see this ring unfold so to speak!!!
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 10:40:42 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Looking forward to your progress. Gypsy has given you great ideas. Can''t wait to see this ring unfold so to speak!!!
1.gif

LOL Kaleigh... such a polite way of saying that I''ve been a bossy so and so... lol. But I can''t help it.. I LOVE this setting/ ring idea. It''s going to be amazing!

2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I think it would be nice with green traps on the side.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My sister had a princess cut with trillion emeralds on each side. The stones on the side were soft and fragile and she lost them a couple of times. I would go with harder stones, just because an e ring is going to get more banging around...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results