shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Storing your jewelry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
I have a question for everyone about how and in what they store their jewelry - necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc. I have quite a few necklaces on pretty delicate chains, and my current method - separate boxes or trying to fit them in one box usually leaves them tangled and I know that isn''t good for them. I have a couple of bracelets and a few rings. At least out of my jewelry that is worth more than sentiment haha.

I''m curious what you put your jewelry in for both protection and storage? And if you can point me in any directions of retailers of these cases so I can properly protect my pieces!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got this from dailingfordollars. Its actually from AVON, and you can get this on ebay too. for $20 not bad, does the job, and doesn't take up that much space, its slighly smaller than your regular copier paper and about two inches in depth called treasures portfolio

ETA: forgot to say that I went through ecrater.com to get it though

treasuresportfoliodt1.JPG

The Ice Man

Rough_Rock
D&T. You seem to have great storage ideas as well as cleaning ideas from what I have view so far. Do you have any idea where I could find watch winders for a descent price? I need like 18 of them for my collection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T, that is a great jewelry keeper.

Cammy, I have a large jewelry box and I lay the braclets and pendants flat. There is a drawer with little sections for earrings and a couple of ring rolls. It is actually way to big for what I have but I like I can spread things out.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I use several differant types of storage.Traditional jewelry boxes for a few items.Jewelry zip top bags are used on several items including chains so they dont tangle or get scratched and then in their own box.I use jewelers storage trays for better chains and bracelets so they have their own compartments(never store jewelry so any two item hit or rub together...even earrings)Ring trays like jewelry store use in a safe are best for ring storage in my opinion.You can purchase a half or quarter tray so it only holds a dozen rings so you can hide it or carry it.Large stiff pieces(like an omega chain or expensive watch )should always have a box or folder so they dont get bent or kinked.KNOTTED beads should be stored flat and not hung to guard against stretch or scratching...some beads (like pearls)should never rub together or they will scratch.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 12:23:51 AM
Author: The Ice Man
D&T. You seem to have great storage ideas as well as cleaning ideas from what I have view so far. Do you have any idea where I could find watch winders for a descent price? I need like 18 of them for my collection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Go to a watch web site like www.watchuseek.com...there are plenty of watch collectors who have very strong opinions about what winders are best and affordable!I love this site and you will too!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i bought a triple head Orbita mahogany wood case winder. you can buy a Orbita winder with 16 heads for $20K or up to 40 heads for $60K.

http://www.orbita.com/pages/12133.htm

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cammy - not sure what price point you are looking at, but a lil while ago
I went through a massive search for a jewellery box.
I ended up having a custom wooden one with felt lining made by a lovely man through Etsy.
I love my j. box, my only regret is not getting a larger one, as my collection has grown quicker than expected
28.gif
41.gif

Another member, ltlFirecracker also recently received one from the same vendor.
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
This is a different wood to mine, but same design.
You can ask to make them larger, more drawers etc.
I lay my necklaces down or keep them in felt or plastic pouches.

wooden j box 1.jpg

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for your advice so far! I appreciate at least knowing in what direction to look to start my search, and there are so many good suggestions. I''m not sure of a price point yet, I guess I''m just looking for something that fits my needs that isn''t rediculous, but if it works, I might just be convinced! :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found my big jewelry box on smartbargains for a great price. I think it was $127; this thing is like a med - large microwave. I like to tease the husband I plan on filling it some day.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
awwh Thanks for the compliment, I actually am not a watch collector, so I wouldn''t be the best person to throw out ideas, however I see DF and jewelerman gave some great advice

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But is this what your looking for or singles? This is a Steinhausen Armada Pro but its around $1500.

watchwindersteinhausemarmada.JPG

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Its important that we note that its a good idea not to store all of your jewelry in one place.A jewelry box with all your jewelry in it is a great gift for a thief or even a child who likes to play dress up...keep only a portion of your jewelry in one easy access place.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T...the winders you posted are most likely made in China. notice the price difference b/t the American made Orbitas?
2.gif

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 12:53:32 PM
Author: jewelerman
Its important that we note that its a good idea not to store all of your jewelry in one place.A jewelry box with all your jewelry in it is a great gift for a thief or even a child who likes to play dress up...keep only a portion of your jewelry in one easy access place.

What do you recommend, then? A safe? Several boxes in various locations around the house? I just know I''m scatterbrained and am worried i''ll put something away for safekeeping and forget where I put it!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2009 1:14:39 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
D&T...the winders you posted are most likely made in China. notice the price difference b/t the American made Orbitas?
2.gif
ahhh- they looked pretty nice from the pictures.
9.gif
though, and for a collector, I''m sure the quality difference is substantial to warrant the Orbitas instead.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you are correct - my sister just got burglarized, and she had just put them in her night stand. The box I posted, is quite nice for travel as well, its not bulky.

buy a box thats not too bulky or distracting and then hide it in something (another container) less conspicuous in a place that you would never think of. My sister and I have thought of other ideas for her now. Its too risky to have something that brings attention as well just my opinion though

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2009 9:45:25 AM
Author: D&T
But is this what your looking for or singles? This is a Steinhausen Armada Pro but its around $1500.
Don''t let my husband see this; he''ll want to fill it up.
9.gif

The Ice Man

Rough_Rock
I was on vacation and just got back. This case is the one! I am going to buy this one. They all wind at the same time? I never though I would find this. You all are truly the greatest!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2009 11:07:12 PM
I was on vacation and just got back. This case is the one! I am going to buy this one. They all wind at the same time? I never though I would find this. You all are truly the greatest!
were you talking about DFs or the one I posted?

Did you look at DF''s link to the Orbita? they have one for 28 watches

The Ice Man

Rough_Rock
I like the one you posted with 20 spots. That''s an ideal match for what I am looking for. I will only have to fill four spots! That won''t take long
1.gif

The Ice Man

Rough_Rock
I just checked his link. They are a bit pricey but might be an option if I can''t find the one you posted!

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock

Seriously I have to disagree on this one. My jewelry is right where everyone can see it, all in one place, neat, tidy and safe as can be! It took 4 grown muscle men to get the safe into our home so I doubt it''ll be leaving anytime soon. I used to worry about my stuff and now I barely give it a thought plus I know exactly where it is when I want it. The only safer place would be the vault boxes at the bank.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 6:43:52 AM
Author: arjunajane
Hi Cammy - not sure what price point you are looking at, but a lil while ago

I went through a massive search for a jewellery box.

I ended up having a custom wooden one with felt lining made by a lovely man through Etsy.

I love my j. box, my only regret is not getting a larger one, as my collection has grown quicker than expected
28.gif
41.gif

Another member, ltlFirecracker also recently received one from the same vendor.
5.gif

And I love it! I actually have 2 jewelry boxes (like Jewelerman said, I don't keep all my eggs in one basket). One is a leather box that I have actually filled. It had a smaller travel case included that works great for trips.

The other is a medium sized box from duncanswoods.com. I ordered it custom directly from his website and picked out the wood combination. It was a long wait, but worth it in the end. If I wanted a bigger one, I would have gotten a second drawer without dividers. Than I would have stored necklaces in their individual cases. Here is a pic of my wood jewelry box. .

koabox3.jpg

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
These boxes are fantastic - I will definitely take into consideration that i do not have a safe (yet!) for my jewelry, and I do have a few ''priceless'' pieces (in my opinion) that i would be heartbroken to lose. I really like that etsy box, and definitely am considering that, as well as maybe a pouch for my other things that I could hide somewhere relatively discreetly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results