shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP - Stone A vs Stone B

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cleve-rocks

Rough_Rock
Comparing the following:

A)
GIA
1.37c
J
VS2
Polish VG / Symm EX
7.16 x 7.20 x 4.32
Cut Grade: Very Good
Faint Fluores.
60% Table, 60.2% Depth
CA - 33.0
PA - 40.3
Scored 1.6 on the HCA

B)
GIA
1.39c
J
VS2
Polish VG / Symm EX
7.17 x 7.21 x 4.36
Cut Grade: Very Good
NO Fluores.
60% Table, 60.7% Depth
CA - 35.0
PA - 40.6
Scored 2.1 on the HCA

Stone A is around $500 more than stone B.

1) What do you think overall?
2) If you think A is better, is it $500 better? (Each stone is less than $6k)
3) These seem like good spreads for the carat weight and good cut. Am I right?
4) What other information should I ask for from the online retailers? I know there are other images, etc that they can provide.

5) If you think these are not quality for some reason, please let me know and let me know WHY so I can try to keep searching.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pass on the first as it is quite a shallow combo, a diamond this shallow could have issues such as obstruction ( darkening of the diamond if you look at it closely due to the shadow of your head/ body).

The second could be a good diamond if you like the slightly larger table of this 60 60 type ( 60% table, 60 depth%). If you could ask for an ASET or Idealscope image for the second diamond, that would be very helpful. Some vendors can supply these on request.

So to sum up I would eliminate the first diamond and concentrate on the second. Also you could look for some with a slightly smaller table ( 54 - 57%) if you wished, try AGS0 cut grade and GIA Excellent, with the latter use the HCA to find those which score below 2. This should point you towards the best ones of the Ex cut grade. If you are agreeable, you could broaden the options by including SI1 clarity if verified eyeclean by a trusted vendor in your search.

cleve-rocks

Rough_Rock

OR

c)
GIA
1.31c
J
SI1
Polish EX / Symm EX
7.16 x 7.11 x 4.28
Cut Grade: Ideal
NO Fluores.
57% Table, 60.0% Depth
CA - 33.5
PA - 40.6
Scored 0.8 on the HCA

This one is about $5350, while B is about $5900.

Price and Quality are equally important to me. I am working with a local store, but their prices are about $1,000+ more than this and there is such a limited selection. I am thinking about buying online for the price savings and also for the high selection to really get a great stone for the price. I want to stay around 1.33ish.

Note: I go to the store and look. The guy brings out 6 diamonds between 1.2-1.39. I can''t really tell the difference in fire between them, but the prices range from $5400-$8300. It is extremely hard to buy in the store because you can''t really tell. Me and my girlfriend are no experts. But I figure if I can find a stone that you "experts" think is good, it must be good.
(thoughts?)
I like a 1.33 in the store that they guy will sell for $5500. I am waiting for him to send me the Cert, because I want to run the numbers through you guys. I am surprised at the price, it is a SI2 J, and it is eye clean and looks really firey, but I want to find out the stats.....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 10:24:40 AM
Author: cleve-rocks

OR

c)
GIA
1.31c
J
SI1
Polish EX / Symm EX
7.16 x 7.11 x 4.28
Cut Grade: Ideal
NO Fluores.
57% Table, 60.0% Depth
CA - 33.5
PA - 40.6
Scored 0.8 on the HCA

This one is about $5350, while B is about $5900.

Price and Quality are equally important to me. I am working with a local store, but their prices are about $1,000+ more than this and there is such a limited selection. I am thinking about buying online for the price savings and also for the high selection to really get a great stone for the price. I want to stay around 1.33ish.

Note: I go to the store and look. The guy brings out 6 diamonds between 1.2-1.39. I can't really tell the difference in fire between them, but the prices range from $5400-$8300. It is extremely hard to buy in the store because you can't really tell. Me and my girlfriend are no experts. But I figure if I can find a stone that you 'experts' think is good, it must be good.
(thoughts?)
I like a 1.33 in the store that they guy will sell for $5500. I am waiting for him to send me the Cert, because I want to run the numbers through you guys. I am surprised at the price, it is a SI2 J, and it is eye clean and looks really firey, but I want to find out the stats.....

This second diamond has potential, by the way GIA's highest cut grade is Excellent so the Ideal Cut label must be from the vendor. Do please feel free to post the proportions of any diamonds you are interested in for us to check out, also if you do want to see what you could get online, post your budget and other requirements and we can look for some diamonds as suggestions for you.

Also for the most part we are just consumers with little to no experience with actual diamonds and to consider any advice you are given carefully. I try very hard not to overstep my bounds as a consumer when offering advice as we do have real limitations, so weigh up everything carefully concerning any advice you are given as anyone can post here and advise, but you want to make sure you check it out and make sure it makes sense to you before making any decisions based on it.

With the 1.33 definitely post the proportions here and make sure it is eyeclean to your standards, ask if you can check the diamond out away from the store lights as inclusions can pop out in some lights more than others. Also this will give you a good idea if you like the diamond in the everyday lighting it will usually be worn in.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results