shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Setting questions galore

snew333

Rough_Rock
So.... after a tragic issue with my recent engagement ring (poorly craftmanship in two of the channel set walls leading to diamonds leaking through the setting on the sides) my fiance and I have managed to get a refund on our money and are having the ring remade with a different local jeweler. First go around, I was totally suprised by the engagement and had zero say in my ring. Luckily, my fiance did an awesome job designing the ring even if the jeweler who made it did not. So I really do love the original setting. But I am thinking about tweaking a few things in the new and final product sense I have the ability to be a part of the design process this time and I wanted to get some opinions.

This is the link to the original setting:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-emerald-cut-engagement-ring.161227/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-emerald-cut-engagement-ring.161227/[/URL]

First, as college students, platinum is out of our budget. So, the question becomes, 14k White Gold or 18K white gold? I currently have 18k, but I know that it is theoretically less durable. I plan on mounting the center diamond in platinum, but we cannot afford to have the entire ring made in platinum. So, which metal is better? I will be wearing this ring (and the matching wedding band) every day for the rest of my life. Opinions on this please :)

Second- I am thinking about adding milgrain to the sides of the channel walls and to the sides of the bezels. I like the antique feel and I think that emerald cuts typically look good in antique style rings. What do you all think? What is the durability of milgrain? Is it something that I am going to have to worry about getting damaged especially since I cannot make the ring in platinum? How do jewelers handle polishing a ring with milgrain?

I like the idea of something similar to this with milgrain on the bezels and on the channel walls....

http://www.jedwardsdiamonds.com/item/14k-white-gold-diamond-engagement-ring-and-wedding-ring-square-halo-top-8-bezel-set-round-diamonds-micro-pave-set-diamonds-hand-finished-milgrain

Third- I am also thinking about adding engraving to the sides of the band (about half way around the shank). What should I expect in terms of durability in engraved jewelry. Is it feasible with White Gold? I really love the looks of engraved bands and always wanted one. I would only want the engraving to go around half the shank and not the full shank.

I like something like this even though I'm not set on any particular pattern:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/crescendo-hand-engraved-half-bezel-diamond-engagement-ring-1414.htm

Lastly....

Any suggestions on artistic/vintage heads for the diamond. I don't mind the traditional one that I have now, but I figured I'd ask for any inspiration. :)

So please... thoughts, ideas, and answers to questions super welcome.... as all of this is pretty stressful to determine on my own and I know several of you are seasoned experts. Thanks so much in advance. I know I have lots to respond to and I'm so grateful for all your help.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you want to create something to go with the existing wedding band?

snew333

Rough_Rock
No... I am remaking the engagement ring and wedding band in a manner that basically a copy of the original setting of both rings... in the same general setting design. These are changes I am thinking of making to the original design before having it made.

snew333

Rough_Rock
c'mon guys... anyone? I'm stressed and need some insight.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
snew - My main thought for you is if Platinum is out of the budget for the entire ring then are you going to be ok with the added costs of the hand engraving? Also I wonder if it would be a tad busy with the milgrain and side stones. Otherwise I love the ideas!

snew333

Rough_Rock
the jeweler we are working with is a family friend. he does excellent work and is willing to do the hand engraving for free as a favor to my mother who featured many of his pieces in a statewide art show at the museum of art that she works at so i dont have to worry too much about the engraving cost

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as the metal, I would go with 14k WG, as it's less yellow than 18k WG.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I swear I posted a reply earlier, but it must have been eaten, lol! I agree with dragonfly that both the milgrain and engraving may be a bit much (IMHO), however, turning away free engraving is a tough thing to do! :naughty: I loved your original ering and think that adding milgrain would be a lovely touch. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

snew333

Rough_Rock
Would anyone reccommed doing the engraving instead of the milgrain? Any other thoughts on the diamond head or on the gold metal? We've got two for 14k white gold now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results