carat
color
clarity

Help! Setting for my new spinel

familynurse

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I am very new to all of this.

I purchased my first CS at Dana's big 4th of July sale . I got the Mahenge hot pink spinel, 1.005cts. http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6206 I was so excited after ordering it- I kept checking to make sure my paypal account had not been credited or that I had a message from Dana saying I had not gotten the stone after all.
Then Tues morning I found that my mailbox had been knocked down overnite. My only thought was that the postman wouldn't deliver my gem. Oh No! 2 days later mailbox is back up and my gem was delivered.
I opened my package and found 2 small aquamarines- I looked at husband and said, he sent the wrong order. I went back looked at my order on line and the order was for a pink spinel. At which time, I found the other packet which contained the gem I had ordered. Went back to the aquamarines and actually read the recipt which said these were a gift from Dana!! Now I am looking at my spinel, and it is smaller and not as sparkly as I thought it would be. Finally realized I was looking at it upside down- looking at the pavilion not the table. I told you I was a newbie. In my defense, I had just finished a 12 hour day at the hospital and was exhausted. Once I turned the gem over it was better than expected. It is beautiful and sparkles like mad even in low light. I love it.
In the description, Dana says,"There is a pin head window that you will never see when mounted as they were deep enough to not have one; but they missed the angle by just a couple of degrees."
How would you set this gem? I want to wear it every day on my rt hand. While I don't do a lot of physical labor with my hands, I do wash or foam them about 50 times a day. I don't have to wear gloves. I take my rings off as soon as I get home. I am a yellow gold girl. I would love to set it in a basket surrounded by other stones, but worry about durability and overwhelming the gem. Any suggestions or advice are very welcome.

BTW- no pictures yet cause I can't figure out my camera- but at least I've learned to look at my gem from the right angle!

There is a pin head window that you will never see when mounted as they were deep enough to not have one; but they missed the angle by just a couple of degrees.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I have no advice but I am so glad that you are here and sharing with us. 8-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do a secure prong setting, and no melee. If you wash your hands that much, the melee will loosen.

T

talamasca

:appl: absolutely LOVE the colour :love: More pics when you get it please :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results