shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP selecting diamond... SI1, VS2 or, VS1!

silverdog

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I'm looking for opinions on the following three diamonds that I've narrowed my search to. Is there one that you would select over the others, and why?
All have Excellent Cut, Polish, and Symmetry. All I in color.
I have requested magnified pictures of all three, and the SI1 was "verified" to be eye clean from both top and side view.

And..... GO! :razz:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06041360?track=Detlink4
.90ct VS2 Crystal,Cloud
vs2.png

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06558714?track=Detlink3
.91ct VS1 Crystal
vs1.png

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06549270?track=Detlink2
.90ct SI1 Feather
si1.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile links don't work and I even copied and pasted them and they didn't work. You must have all the stones on hold or something.

You'll have to write out all the specs of each stone: table, depth, crown angle, pavilion angle, and diameter

silverdog

Rough_Rock
I'll do that now! Try holding the control button and then clicking the link... it might work! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
silverdog|1452998171|3977044 said:
I'll do that now! Try holding the control button and then clicking the link... it might work! :)

Awesome! Can't believe no one has suggested that before! It did open the link in a new window, but it still says the diamond is unavailable. So I'll check back after you write the specs.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1452998066|3977043 said:
Blue Nile links don't work and I even copied and pasted them and they didn't work. You must have all the stones on hold or something.

You'll have to write out all the specs of each stone: table, depth, crown angle, pavilion angle, and diameter

Hey diamondseeker2006 :wavey: - if you're on a mac hold 'command' and click - they'll work

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ADN|1452998645|3977049 said:
diamondseeker2006|1452998066|3977043 said:

Hey diamondseeker2006 :wavey: - if you're on a mac hold 'command' and click - they'll work

Thanks, but I am on a PC! I'd better not change to Mac because I'd have to relearn too many things! I assume he has the stones on hold and that is why it is telling me they are unavailable.

silverdog

Rough_Rock
Okay! GIA grading cards are now posted!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay silverdog, I wish we had had the chance to help you a little earlier in your search because it would have saved you some time. When buying from a vendor who doesn't have idealscope images and that kind of thing, we recommend staying within certain specs within GIA Excellent as it is a very broad range and some stones are better than others. I would choose none of those three, and you will see why if you look at the parameters I am about to post.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0)

Also, there is a screening tool for GIA ex cut stones called the HCA, but stones that have the numbers I just posted will score well here, too:

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

You want to see Excellent on light return, fire, and scintillation, and very good on spread. An overall score of 2.0 or lower means a diamond is worth exploring further (but a 1.0 isn’t necessarily better than 1.9).

Come back with some new choices and then we really will be able to help you choose the best one!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
None of those have proportions I would recommend.

So, you're looking for an eye clean ~.90ct I rbc for $3600?

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Awesome! Can't believe no one has suggested that before! It did open the link in a new window, but it still says the diamond is unavailable. So I'll check back after you write the specs.

Diamondseeker try higlighting the link and clicking the middle button.... this one works for me ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one is the only one that falls within the number parameters I gave you as well as scoring well on the HCA. I would not buy outside of those numbers from Blue Nile since you have no stone photos or light return images. I also wouldn't try SI1 from BN since you don't have magnified photos or videos.

The last one from James Allen is a maybe...you'd have to request an idealscope or ASET image on that one. The crown angle is over 35, and some of those are fine and some are not.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1453093363|3977399 said:
The second one is the only one that falls within the number parameters I gave you as well as scoring well on the HCA. I would not buy outside of those numbers from Blue Nile since you have no stone photos or light return images. I also wouldn't try SI1 from BN since you don't have magnified photos or videos.

The last one from James Allen is a maybe...you'd have to request an idealscope or ASET image on that one. The crown angle is over 35, and some of those are fine and some are not.

Ditto.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results