shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP RIGHT AWAY NEED ANSWER TO THESE QUESTIONS ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chowchow99

Rough_Rock
please advise on this stone ASAP.
This is GIA cert.

2.79 carats
D color and VS1 clarity
Crown is 33.9 14.4%
Depth is 61.5
Table is 57.1
Pavilion is 43% 40.8
Culet is 0.4
Girdle is Slightly thick
Polish is VG
Symmetry is ex

What about the brilliance and fire and scintilization of this stone?
Diam-calc?
Light return?
Spread?
Could this be sent out to AGS and come back with a triple zero?
What is a fair price for this stone?
I may purchase it on Monday so I need these questions answered ASAP and in full.
Thanks

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
I can't answer all your questions but as for the stone, it looks great. It should be a very good performer. The proportions are considered "ideal" and score well on the HCA (1.1 TIC) Despite the ideal proportions, this would probably not grade as an AGS 000. AGS terms are different than GIA. GIA "excellent" symmetry and polish are classified as "ideal" by AGS and GIA "very good" are classified by AGS as "excellent". To be an AGS 000, the proportions, symmetry and polish all need to be ideal. Your polish would be considered "excellent" (IF AGS graded the stone equivalently as GIA) making this stone an AGS 1. Since polish does not drive light return, it is not an issue to have an excellent polish. In fact, the stone should cost slightly less than an equivalent AGS 000.

Hope this bit helps.
wavey.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why doesn't this look like a purchase one should rush about to me?

The numbers sound great, but they are by far not enough to qualify the look of a stone. Excellent polish has precious little to do with any perceivable quality and nothing with the optical properties of the stone. Same for Ex symmetry - VG is already out of the ordinary and more than enough to insure optical performance. Ex polish not only no one can tell without lab gear, but also wears off.

Unless you buy these rocks every week to play with, I would not move it off the counter without some direct analysis of the optical quality of this gem: not by numbers, in person. As little as the knowledgeable handling of an IdealScope would do (so appraisal during return period comes to mind) and there are less handling-intensive tools out there (B-scope, Isee2, who knows what else?). Light return (and the rest of optics) cannot be evaluated without info on minor facets. Also, it is far better to work with the stone than those numbers.

The thick girdle makes any "cut grading by numbers", including the HCA, imprecise. For example, the HCA assumes a different (thin or medium?) girdle width. Thin to medium is considered desirable. If the one on your stone is not only thick, but uneven (as most of thick girdles are) the stone can depart a good mile from the optical performance of a great cut. Just a warning: these numbers and specs are not above all concern.

If this is meant to be a top stone (which you seem to be looking for), let it be, all the way, light return and brilliance included
read.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the diameter? This may help get a better idea on exaclty how thick is "slightly thick"...

chowchow99

Rough_Rock
Could someone show me a Diam-Calc on this stone?
The measurementare 9.02 x 9.09 x5.56...
Thanks

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Chow.......why do you want to see a Diamond Calc now......according to your VERY URGENT, CAPITALIZED post, you had to make a decision on this stone this past Monday.

chowchow99

Rough_Rock
I did make a move on Monday and had the stone sent out to an independant appraiser but I do want to see what the Diam-Calc looks like.
Can anyone help me out?

iknowquinn

Rough_Rock
what price were they asking for this stone??

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is impossible to assess all the properties you are asking for (brilliance, fire, scintillation) without a physical analysis of the stone. There is alot of information missing such as

• variances between crown/pavilion angles and table %.
  • lower girdle facet length (which can and does influence fire/scintillation and can change the appearance of the stone dramatically)
  • star facet length
  • upper girdle angles

I can hop on another computer and give you a diamcalc but the chances are it could be nowhere near what this stone is. When we punch in numbers manually into the DiamCalc it makes the stone appear to have perfect or near perfect optical symmetry which is a result of tight variances ON ALL the major and minor facets. We inspect hundreds of diamonds and common stones just simply do not have that degree of precision which is why we prefer to show a DiamCalc based on an actual scan of the diamond itself. Judging from the data given the stone would not get an AGS "0" ideal cut because of the polish rating.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results