shape
carat
color
clarity

Help reviewing Idealscope images

d00little

Rough_Rock
Just started looking at diamonds and while I understand most of the measurable attributes, I'm having trouble with some of the more subjective image analysis.

The following are Idealscope images from a diamond graded as Excellent cut grade by GIA. Are these good images? Can anyone provide feedback, perhaps some negatives they notice?

arrows.png hearts.png

d00little

Rough_Rock
Just started looking at diamonds and while I understand most of the measurable attributes, I'm having trouble with some of the more subjective image analysis.

The following are Idealscope images from a diamond graded as Excellent cut grade by GIA. Are these good images? Can anyone provide feedback, perhaps some negatives they notice?

arrows.png hearts.png

Comparing my OP to a new diamond. Would this new diamond seem superior?

Attachments

• Arrows.PNG
    Arrows.PNG
    222.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Hearts.PNG
    Hearts.PNG
    257.7 KB · Views: 12

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The both pass the IS test and the h&a tests so the other factors are up for consideration.
What are the angles and % from the report, color and clarity grade, and if there is a plot a pic of that.
Or just post the report numbers.

dnaadmin

Rough_Rock
The both pass the IS test and the h&a tests so the other factors are up for consideration.
What are the angles and % from the report, color and clarity grade, and if there is a plot a pic of that.
Or just post the report numbers.

Thanks.

Diamond1 (images in first post)2 (images in second post)
Carat0.740.745
ClarityVS1VS1
ColorFF
Depth61.161.5
Table5657
Crown3434.7
Pavilion40.840.8
Measurement5.84x5.87x3.58mm5.81x5.83x3.58mm
NotesJames Allen True HeartsWhiteflash A Cut Above

dnaadmin

Rough_Rock
Not sure if it matters, #1 has and HCA score of 0.8, while #2 has an HCA score of 1.3.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Part of buying a diamond is the vendor policies, there is a large difference in policy between the 2 companies.
Mainly buy back and upgrades.
Im not allowed to take sides so you will have to research and see if that makes a difference for you.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not sure if it matters, #1 has and HCA score of 0.8, while #2 has an HCA score of 1.3.

numbers for both are good and both pass the numbers and hca tests.
On the clarity part of the reports is there "grade based on clouds not shown", chip, cavity or knot listed?
florescence rating?

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot see an axis of symmetry that would explain these upper gridle escape asymmetries as artefacts of photography; I think a more rigorous brand (that requires excellent optical symmetry all over the face-up as part of its definition of H&A) would not call this stone H&A.

It IS, however, a beautiful stone, I would happily choose it for myself at the right price. It's a question of what sort of premium - if any - you're paying for the H&A title.
1660961449213.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I cannot see an axis of symmetry that would explain these upper gridle escape asymmetries as artefacts of photography; I think a more rigorous brand (that requires excellent optical symmetry all over the face-up as part of its definition of H&A) would not call this stone H&A.

It IS, however, a beautiful stone, I would happily choose it for myself at the right price. It's a question of what sort of premium - if any - you're paying for the H&A title.
1660961449213.png
hi Yssie,
Firstly, if this was a variance it would make no difference to the visual performance of the stone.
Secondly the Ideal-scope image does have some tilt as can be seen in the non meeting of the top 3 arrows.
Thirdly the Hearts pattern would show up a deviance more so than the arrows.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes IS is slightly tilted - axis of tilt is the straight line between 2o'clock and 8o'clock.
This tilt axis explains the arrow shaft/head mismatch (which is why I didn't mention that) but does not explain the escape variance near the girdle.

However, I agree girdle escape is not going to make a visual diff.
Which is why I would happily choose it for myself depending on price premium.

Hearts pattern image would not show this edge variance.
So no surprise it's not visible in the hearts pic.
Arrow head/shaft mismatch is clearly artefact of photography.
So no surprise that's not visible in the hearts pic either.

I am confident WF would not call this stone H&A.
Because WF demands that their H&A stones display exceptional optical symmetry all over.
JA's definition has always been more loose.

Again, for me it depends on what sort of price premium there might be.

I feel like you didn't read my post @Garry H (Cut Nut)!
If someone can show me a photography tilt axis that creates both the arrow head/shaft mismatch and the edge variance, I will of course retract my statement.

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes IS is slightly tilted - axis of tilt is the straight line between 2o'clock and 8o'clock.
This tilt axis explains the arrow shaft/head mismatch (which is why I didn't mention that) but does not explain the escape variance near the girdle.

However, I agree girdle escape is not going to make a visual diff.
Which is why I would happily choose it for myself depending on price premium.

Hearts pattern image would not show this edge variance.
So no surprise it's not visible in the hearts pic.
Arrow head/shaft mismatch is clearly artefact of photography.
So no surprise that's not visible in the hearts pic either.

I am confident WF would not call this stone H&A.
Because WF demands that their H&A stones display exceptional optical symmetry all over.
JA's definition has always been more loose.

Again, for me it depends on what sort of price premium there might be.

I feel like you didn't read my post @Garry H (Cut Nut)!
If someone can show me a photography tilt axis that creates both the arrow head/shaft mismatch and the edge variance, I will of course retract my statement.

I do agree that the outer edges do not show up much in the hearts, only in the white bits around the outer edges.
This is one of the best I can find where the supplier gives a 3D file.
One degree tilt down one to the right
1660979057191.png
1660979147072.png

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm going to split the middle: the tilt is exaggerating some things and there is a small amount of uneven crown painting present.
Its h&a, but may or may not fit in another companies brand. That it may or may not fit can be said for any diamond.
In any case both are well cut.
As I said above,
I would look at the sellers policies
On the clarity part of the reports is there "grade based on clouds not shown", chip, cavity or knot listed?
florescence rating?
Then I would look at cost and balance any price differences with the information gained.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results