Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Help required - Opinions on a radiant

nigelwakeley

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 20, 2013
Messages
8
Hi PS nation,

Looking to buy an engagement ring for my girlfriend, been searching around a bunch online and think I'm pretty close to going with this radiant from JA:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.91-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-207273

Price is $3320.

What drew me to this particular one is that I can't see any of that darkness that so many other stones on JA seem to reflect? Is that what I'm meant to be avoiding? Also the numbers reflect a pretty good cut from the PS chart.

I've used the PS search function and there are radiants with better numbers for a lower price, but I can't see them so I'm not sure if I should go that way instead?

As far as setting, I'm getting a custom one done probably through JA.

Budget is $5k for the lot, and I'm in Australia so I don't want to send diamonds back and forth if I can help it as the tax would be prohibitive.

Thanks!
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,766

nigelwakeley

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 20, 2013
Messages
8
What do you mean by 'chaotic'?

I haven't had it reviewed by their gemologist, the saleswoman said I can have three diamonds looked at for free so was thinking of checking some others at the same time.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,766
i mean the cut pattern when looking at it from the top looks more random, like little splinters of light, verses a distinct pattern when you look at it frim the top
 

ariel144

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
1,859
Here is a well cut radiant:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10740/

I do not care for the faceting on that radiant you posted. When you get the ASET my guess is that it will have a lot of leakage under the table.
Look for a stone that has a more distinct faceting pattern. The one you chose is more of the crushed ice faceting, but some do like that look, but they have more leakage and less light return.
did you see this one?
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-201046

You might want to check out some well cut cushions;

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10577/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10573/
 

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
3,665
It would help us better if you knew what kind of cut you prefer. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with "chaotic" "crushed ice" stones, if that's what you prefer (like I do). I absolutely love the look of little glitter and sparkles which is why I love that cut. Other's like the bigger facets. But it's UP TO YOU!!!!! I like the one you posted. With radiants you're bound to see more leakage, but if the stone is bright and gives you good light return, I wouldn't worry about it. And keep in mind, that while we're here to help you, not all of us are experts, so take it with a grain of salt. This is YOUR diamond. Not ours. Good luck in your search!
 

diamondloveaffair

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Messages
261
Nigel, your choice of a radiant cut is poor. That is one badly cut diamond.
 

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 17, 2012
Messages
480
Personally, I'm a huge fan of the crushed ice look in a radiant cut diamond - that's what makes them special. However, I would caution you to go G or higher in colour because that particular cut does seem to throw back quite a bit of tint in different lighting. I have a 1.25 ct I RB which has never shown the slightest tint. However, my 2ct G Radiant shows white in most lights but if the light source has any yellow, it is strongly reflected in my stone which was particularly obvious in a platinum and halo setting. I learnt after I got my radiant that that particular cut is used for fancy coloured diamonds for a reason - it emphasises the colour. I love my stone anyway but if you are colour sensitive, this cut might not be the one for you.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,766
04diamond<3 said:
It would help us better if you knew what kind of cut you prefer. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with "chaotic" "crushed ice" stones, if that's what you prefer (like I do). I absolutely love the look of little glitter and sparkles which is why I love that cut. Other's like the bigger facets. But it's UP TO YOU!!!!! I like the one you posted. With radiants you're bound to see more leakage, but if the stone is bright and gives you good light return, I wouldn't worry about it. And keep in mind, that while we're here to help you, not all of us are experts, so take it with a grain of salt. This is YOUR diamond. Not ours. Good luck in your search!
Very true I am no expert, but this stone appears to have some flaws even if you like a "glittery" cut. I'm not trying to persuade you to one cut or the other, I'm just trying to give you options. I find its best to know all sorts of different types of stones, and make an educated decision, versus coming in with a set notion and not exploring other options. If you've seen those more faceted stones and still prefer this type of radiant, great! You know what you want, but I think its a disservice to not inform or show you what's out there. Also in terms of JA its nice to have 3 options because they can tell you which performs best of 3, instead of pass/fail.
Because those stones do not perform particularly well in general. I used to have a pear. Pears have the same type of glittery look. It would sparkle and looj pretty but in the end it didnt really perform the way i feel a nice chunky or thicker faceted stone does.

Your in particular appears to have a black inclusion and possibly is too shallow. Sense you turn the stone slightly and it has a windowing effect. I'm not expert though. Which is why I was wondering if a gemologist reviewed it. Maybe it is a good performer and eye clean. :)) an expert could correct me if I am wrong.....

And I agree with the pp for cuts like that that hold more color, from personal experience I find high colors more flattering.

uploadfromtaptalk1369302221518.jpg
 

nigelwakeley

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 20, 2013
Messages
8
Thanks everyone!

My personal preference is for whatever cut gives me the most sparkle for money, but I know my girlfriend is more favoured to non-round diamonds (hence radiant, or emerald, asscher or cushion). Not too concerned about the inclusions.

How about one like this - higher colour, not as good table or depth though:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.96-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-206090

When you see darkness in the diamond, like in the below, that's bad right?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.00-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-140708

cheers
:)
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,766
Just another option

If she is open on the shape what do you think of this? Its a smaller CTW so its cheaper but its actually bigger in mm than that last radiant you posted. They did all those tests on it like you see so it obviously performs well so you've got that, and gog sells lots of settings so you don't have to do custom work, but you could. Plus, this cut doesn't hold as much color so you don't have to stay above a g like is recommended for radiants.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10577/
 

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Messages
5,028
I'm not a fan of any of the three that you posted. Can you share what the gemologist said about the three choices. The F VS2 has a very flat crown that I personally find unappealing. My thought is that if the gemologist selected this stone out of the three then it was because it was the most appealing of the three, not because it was a fantastic choice. I might be wrong, they are in a better position to determine this, but I would ask them if they feel that there are better options available to (which I truly believe there are) and if they would be willing to make a recommendation.

I would strongly consider contacting GOG, sharing your budget and allowing Jonathon to assist you in finding a nice stone. You might also consider contacting Diamonds by Lauren,they have an eye for a nice radiant as well.

I also think that Neils post was very insightful. If you gf is open to different cuts, you may want to include them in your search.
 

nigelwakeley

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 20, 2013
Messages
8
Thanks for the replies! Gemmologist report was:

"I am happy to report that all three diamonds are very pretty. They are all white in color and all have nice light performance, brilliance and sparkle. In comparing them to each other, however diamond item #184029 is your top contender. The light performance is the most balanced and symmetrical. The brilliance and the sparkle are a bit better than the other two. This diamond also views the largest face-up and is white in color.

Diamond item #97599 is white in color and has nice light performance, however there is some light leakage. This diamond appears the smallest face up.

Diamond item #206090 is white in color, however compared to the other two there is a very slight warmth in the color. The light performance, brilliance and sparkle are very nice and nearly comparable to diamond item #184029. This diamond appears second smallest face-up."

Due to time constraints and the fact I've arranged a custom setting with JA I feel a bit tied to them, but I will ask for the gemmologist to recommend a nice radiant within my budget.
 

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
3,665
Since you're set on JA and the gemologist told you the F VS2 is the top contender, and it's clearly the cut/faceting that you like, I'd go with that one. Everyone here will post THEIR opinion on cuts, but YOU have to decide and stick with what YOU like.
 

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 7, 2011
Messages
5,028
Hi 04. :wavey: I wasn't suggesting that the OP look for another style of stone. Finding a nice radiant regardless of facet structure can be a tough task and since his gf was open to other cuts as well, I suggested that he may not want to rule them out. OP seems set on a radiant, and we would both like him to find the best option possible I'm sure. :)) This is why I suggested that he talk with the gemologist to determine if this was indeed a very nice radiant or if it was simply the best of the three presented.


Nigelwakley: It's been my experience that JA's gemologists have been accurate with their assessment of stones, I'm sure it's the case here as well. As I said, it can be a challenge selecting a nice radiant, in fact I've heard others discuss that ASETs may not be an accurate representation of a radiants performance and they are usually best evaluated in person. So, likely the gemologists assessment is correct and you would now need to take a look for yourself to see what your eyes think. That said, I personally would feel more comfortable asking if this is indeed a great cut or just the best of the three, especially since you mentioned time restraints. You don't want to be dealing with timely returns and going through the selection process all over again if you are not happy. Looking forward to hearing what you decide. :))
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,766
Christina...|1370340726|3458699 said:
Hi 04. :wavey: I wasn't suggesting that the OP look for another style of stone. Finding a nice radiant regardless of facet structure can be a tough task and since his gf was open to other cuts as well, I suggested that he may not want to rule them out. OP seems set on a radiant, and we would both like him to find the best option possible I'm sure. :)) This is why I suggested that he talk with the gemologist to determine if this was indeed a very nice radiant or if it was simply the best of the three presented.


Nigelwakley: It's been my experience that JA's gemologists have been accurate with their assessment of stones, I'm sure it's the case here as well. As I said, it can be a challenge selecting a nice radiant, in fact I've heard others discuss that ASETs may not be an accurate representation of a radiants performance and they are usually best evaluated in person. So, likely the gemologists assessment is correct and you would now need to take a look for yourself to see what your eyes think. That said, I personally would feel more comfortable asking if this is indeed a great cut or just the best of the three, especially since you mentioned time restraints. You don't want to be dealing with timely returns and going through the selection process all over again if you are not happy. Looking forward to hearing what you decide. :))
Well said. Often such a flat crown and large table means the stone doesn't have as much fire and scintillation. That's not exactly an opinion thing. We're just trying to make sure you get the best stone you can. However, this stone may be great despite that. Now sense we can't see the stone in person and have to rely on the SA eyes, I would just utilize them as best as possible by asking if she thinks the table is a hindrance to the stones performance at all, if she thinks there is a better radiant in their inventory to recommend in your budget, or if the stone is a great example of a classic radiant. Takes a simple email and that way you know exactly how the stone preforms. They are great SA at James Allen. I'd trust their eyes. I just think the stone they recommended leaves a few additional questions they didn't quite answer. :))


What's the setting they are designing for you? They are doing one for me as we speak :D
 

nigelwakeley

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 20, 2013
Messages
8
Good advice guys, I've emailed JA and will wait to see if they recommend any.

The setting design is an art deco piece inspired by a few things on my gf's pinterest - basically a halo with a bit of an interesting etching around it.

On another note, anyone know a cheaper way of getting diamonds into Australia then paying ~$600 import tax?
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,766
nigelwakeley|1370349997|3458722 said:
Good advice guys, I've emailed JA and will wait to see if they recommend any.

The setting design is an art deco piece inspired by a few things on my gf's pinterest - basically a halo with a bit of an interesting etching around it.

On another note, anyone know a cheaper way of getting diamonds into Australia then paying ~$600 import tax?
Sounds pretty!

Sorry I don't know anything about import tax, though I would search here I feel like a few threads have talked about it lately.


If this radiant doesn't work, an asscher is the classic "art deco " cut ;-)

But don't worry about that now, wait until the SA gets back.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.

New posts

Top