shape
carat
color
clarity

Help remake my Mother's engagement ring

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My mom lost the diamond from her engagement ring probably 40 years ago. This year, for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary, my father is looking to replace the diamond and make the ring exactly as it was when he first presented it to her.

Finding a comparable emerald cut diamond has not been difficult, but the head that held the stone is a vintage rectangular illusion or box head. I can find round and square illusion plates and heads, but no rectangular. Can you help me find something similar. I'm attaching a picture from Lang Antiques that shows a similar head. Please ignore the baguettes since my mom's ring do not have these.

1282766976_Main_View_1_10_1_2863h.jpg

1282766824_Main_View_1_10_1_2863b.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So ... does she still have the setting? Or is it a case of needing to replace the ring, whole and entire? Was it a peg head? I feel like I'm missing something crucial ....

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm confused too...did she just lose the diamond or the whole ring?

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
vintagelover229|1307566920|2940978 said:
Have you seen the one on JBEG? It's a .4 for under 1500.00 but the setting is orange blossom and looks like the one you posted minus the extra stones. If its vintage he'll probably have to go custom unless he gets lucky and finds one empty but you're probably have better luck finding them with a stone in it.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-diamonds/40ct-Vintage-Emerald-Cut/11844213_vEgwc#837383994_uVmHk
i was just about to post this... the similarity is striking. this ring's been on the market for years, and as a step-cut lover i remembered it immediately!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
She lost the diamond ONLY. We still have the rings and the stone had been replaced with a CZ at one point. The head is a little banged up, and if we could get a new one with the same look (integrated, illusion mount) we could go with a larger diamond.

Although she has said that she never wanted a new ring, she just wanted hers as it was when my dad gave it to her in 1961!

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
If you decided to go custom on this, you could chose any stone size.

I wouldn't imagine this to be overly expensive or difiicult if you still have the original setting.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uppy, I wonder if you could get a hold of Wink or someone, maybe he knows where to find a head like that?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, it sounds like she would be happiest with her original ring refurbished. I would send it to some great bench person and have them replace the stone and remake the head of the ring.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it does sound like she really just wants to keep her ring so I agree with DS about finding a good bench person to fix it and replace the stone.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think I would just find a good henchman and have him replace her lost diamond. She will be so excited.

alvina

Rough_Rock
you need to locate a good henchman that can fix and makes it look all new again.. anyways all the best

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty sure the two previous posts mean "benchman" instead of henchman. ;))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL - yes I meant "benchman". Stupid auto correct on my iPad. :bigsmile:

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Henchman...now there's one of those professions that's just gone by the wayside.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Actually, I'M being the henchman here! I'm busy getting all of this done on the sly. Good news is that I found a D VS1 .34 (GIA) that fit perfectly into her mounting. The benchman has finished mounting and refurbing the ring and I will be picking it up Monday. Dad and I have had to develop a very convoluted plan for delivery though. I must arrive at his friend's house on Wednesday so it can be signed for. Mom and Dad are leaving for vacation on Friday. Saturday is their 50th anniversary and his plan is to give it to her as they are walking along the gulf coast beach! :love:

AudiLover

Shiny_Rock
Upgradable|1308433359|2949154 said:
Actually, I'M being the henchman here! I'm busy getting all of this done on the sly. Good news is that I found a D VS1 .34 (GIA) that fit perfectly into her mounting. The benchman has finished mounting and refurbing the ring and I will be picking it up Monday. Dad and I have had to develop a very convoluted plan for delivery though. I must arrive at his friend's house on Wednesday so it can be signed for. Mom and Dad are leaving for vacation on Friday. Saturday is their 50th anniversary and his plan is to give it to her as they are walking along the gulf coast beach! :love:

:bigsmile: I am so excited for her! She's going to be thrilled!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradable,

This is such a romantic story. Let us know what your mom thinks of her "new" ring!

liz

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
henchman: hehe, we still have those in Pittsburgh and the surrounding rural areas.

I believe Michael Edgett at Gemshoppe dot com has made fishtail and illusion head type rings for people who wanted that type of illusion style. Tradeshop, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results