shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Question for Second Hand Experts!

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
First, I suppose I should know better, but I am trying to save a little bit of money, and get my favourite brand (please no brand bashing-I am aware I can get larger, prettier studs for less and I may still)

Anyway, today was one of my FIRST (FIRST FIRST) days out since my cancer treatment. Literally (of course, it drizzled). But I was happy to be out. I treated myself to a cab, and an hour of fresh air. I went looking for a wedding band (Plain, in expensive non-branded given non fit after steroids). BUT I did find 1.5cttw Tiffany studs in the window. They were pretty.

I felt they were calling to be tried on (even if I had a pale, slightly puffy worn face). So I did :naughty:

And they looked GREAT.

They were from early 2000; came with the original leather folder, the valuation, the two certs…everything…..G, VVS…..75ct each. They looked huge on me. I felt, well, special. Combined that with my ring, and I felt like I was really sparkling (I know, cliche0.

There was an issue though- the hallmarks. SO maybe some could chime in. The posts were older (and said T & Co, so that there, yes). The girdle was not laser inscribed (I believe this started later 2000 or maybe even 2004??? not 100% sure. That didn't necessarily bother me, due to the date either..

But the Sku was not there. No Sku on the mounting. I know for a while they were not listed on Tiffany pieces either- does anyone know when Tiffany began this? I called and got no accurate answer. Figured perhaps a wise Pricescoper knew more than a "new associate".

Again, it came with all paperwork,and the diamond using the loupe and other measures seem to match (to the best of our ability the certs)…..

Any advice is appreciated……

LOTS OF LOVE MY FRIENDS

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't help you here Mrs W, but I just wanted to say two things. Firstly, it's good to see you back as you've been gone with your treatment for such a long time, and I have often wondered how you were doing (I really, really have, at random moments like my daughters class assembly!)

And secondly, I know you had heaps of trouble with your rings, and then got horribly swollen fingers etc, so regarding the earrings, if the price is good for you then I would go for it. Brighten up your day a little & give yourself some love. I hope you are now on the right side of the battle x

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
Alex T that brightens my day. Thank you so much :) I have been reading from afar- it has been going well, then rough patches and it was really a treat today to be out and "feel" normal and I felt all of the Pticescopers there in spirit. Lots of hugs xxxxxxxx Thank you again

(and yes, I think they were pretty good price wise and I don't have to be sad about sizing! hahaha)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is good to 'see' you again! I too have thought of you and hoped that you were doing well with your treatment. I think you have been a real trooper through all of this so yes of course, if you can, treat yourself to those earrings!

I can't answer the question about the hallmarks either as I have only had a couple of Tiffany wedding bands. Does the seller of the earrings offer a return period so that you can take them to a Tiffany's to have them evaluated?

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
Hi Miss Got Rocks!!!! How are you :) ?

Yes, they do! My fear is, Tiffany is so strict with second owners now….they may not (even though it comes with all paperwork).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dani, so good to see you here posting and so glad you are through the cancer treatment and are out and about and yes please do treat yourself! I don't know anything about the secondhand market but you deserve to pamper yourself and enjoy some bling. Big (((hugs))) and all the best for a complete recovery!!! ((((HUGS)))).

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
I missed you too :) :) I know, I actually have to say the fresh air, and the gem candy was a treat itself :) of course eyeing earrings didn't hurt :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsWhitney|1477641998|4091459 said:
Anyway, today was one of my FIRST (FIRST FIRST) days out since my cancer treatment. Literally (of course, it drizzled). But I was happy to be out. I treated myself to a cab, and an hour of fresh air. I went looking for a wedding band (Plain, in expensive non-branded given non fit after steroids). BUT I did find 1.5cttw Tiffany studs in the window. They were pretty.

MrsWhitney, what a great thing to do on your first day out! The moment I saw your username I wondered how treatment was going. I hope all is well and the cancer is gone and stays away. And ugh, steroids, they're so awful. Combined with cancer treatment - well, you definitely deserve all the Tiffany items you want. Unfortunately I don't know anything about authenticating Tiffany, but I say if you like the earrings and can afford them, get them! Given how much you like Tiffany, I think you will feel much more special and like you have really treated yourself if you get Tiffany earrings versus some other brand.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Also have wondered about you! Glad to hear your treatments are done. If you are near a Tiffany's store, I think they can verify authenticity. Might be worth getting a return window if you could buy them and get them checked.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
MrsWhitney - first, so glad that you had a nice day out and about. I have thought of you often over the last several months!

There was someone here who posted about a secondhand ring from Tiffany's, purchased it, took it to Tiffany's and had surprisingly good customer service. I can't seem to find the thread on it now, unfortunately. Perhaps it varies from store to store?

I think earrings sound amazing. I have 1.2 ct studs and I love them!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could answer your question, but wanted to congratulate you. I'm so glad to hear you're doing well. You SO deserve something big and sparkly!

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
All of you guys are amazingly kind! I will keep you posted. I do live right by the 5th avenue store so I will bring them :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep us posted - hope this turns out exceedingly well for you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to see you, D! I have thought about you and hoped you are getting WELL!

I am very fond of Tiffany and have a few platinum pieces like Legacy wedding band, diamond cross, platinum and pearl station bracelet, etc. But when it comes to simple diamond pieces, I have gone with Whiteflash (studs and DBTY in platinum). Why? Diamond quality better and costs less.

Now in the case of second hand, it might be a smart buy. But that would depend on price. I'd be glad to look at superideal cut comps if you are interested. I like a lot of Tiffany classic pieces and other designer brands. I have bought both new and second hand, so I am not at all against it especially when the piece is a signature Tiffany or other brand piece. But when I can get better diamonds, I do.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I can't help you with your Tiffany question, Mrs. Whitney. But when I saw that you had posted, I just came to say I'm glad to hear that you are doing better and to wish you continued good health.
I know you've been through a lot, with your treatment and losing your jewellery and insurance issues. The earrings sound lovely. Some new bling might be just the thing! :angel:
All the best to you.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just want to say that while I cannot comment on the particular piece, I am so happy to hear from you too. I have also been wondering how you were doing, after all you have gone through, you really deserve some positive energy coming from retail therapy. I hope you will be able to pamper yourself, this will also help you heal faster. I wish you the best and truly hope that the cancer is gone now and you can regain your strength and health. Please keep us posted.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big congrats on your achievement - three cheers you.
As for second hand Tiffany earrings, well, I personally think the "name" Tiffany is over rated. In the second hand market, as opposed to the fresh exciting new Tiffany purchase experience in the Tiffany store, I wonder about the extra cost of and the actual value or worth of a "used" Tiffany purchase.
For my money, yes, you definitely deserve those big .75 sparklers in your ears, but I'd be going for colour, cut and clarity rather than whether the box is pretty blue and whether the tiny little "T & Co" markings are to be found.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you, many people on here have been thinking about you and hoping that you are doing O.K. Tiffany sometimes has different markings from different places, being an Aussie I've noticed genuine Tiffany pieces can and do have different stamps on them not just because of different dates/eras but from different geographical origins too. If you are unsure they are genuine, the best thing to do is make sure the place has a return policy and take them into a Tiffany store to verify they are genuine or contact them take a photo if you can or ask them the same question you have asked here.

Having said that I concur with the others, a pair of H & A stones from Whiteflash, Victor, or Brian Gavin will possibly nicer and unless the Tiffany ones are a bargain better value, so consider having something made as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results