shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Prong issue platinum moissanite ring

kazwin24

Rough_Rock
Hi pricescopers!

I’m a long time lurker first time poster. I recently had my 756B4EDB-C6ED-4CBA-8884-4C230033B1A2.png 85B459AE-99F3-4B64-82A2-2938F8E504E8.jpeg BFB839F3-C1A5-4467-8150-AFF59FC066A6.jpeg platinum 6-prong moissanite engagement ring made by an Australian manufacturer. It is supposed to have semi-claw prongs. My issue is that the prongs appear to be really thin & hooked/curled over at the top. This is visible with the naked eye as small gaps of light under the prong tip & the girdle/crown of the centre stone. I’m worried about the long term security of the setting. Face up it looks great & just as expected, but on the side is another story. Am I being overly picky or is this an issue?

kazwin24

Rough_Rock
Sorry if the pictures are in the middle of the post!

kazwin24

Rough_Rock
Any advice or opinion would be most welcomed!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this is different.

Normally it’s the pavilion side of the prong seat that’s not flush against the stone. In your case the diamond sits tight pavilion side but - yeah, the crown-side prongtip is pretty anaemic. And those prong seats look quite shallow.

I would want those prong tips beefed up too. It certainly wouldn’t take much to lift the one you circled. And you’re correct, the tip shouldn’t be clawed downward over negative space - the edge of the stone should be flush in the notch with minimal airspace.

kazwin24

Rough_Rock
Thank goodness I’m not just being crazy about it.. do you think it would take much work from the jewellers perspective, would the centre stone have to be removed or could they beef the prongs up intact without damaging the surrounding pave etc.? This prong is probably the worst of all but they are al fairly similar. Or do I leave it? I’m also worried the jeweller is going to dismiss my concerns as this is the second time they have remade my ring entirely, because the first had terrible quality control issues even worse than this *sigh* everything else with this ring is spot on aside from the prongs :(

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to be honest, I don’t know. I had a mount that had hooked prong issues and my jeweller told me the head would have to be replaced. My jeweller at that time was a conservative fellow, though - perhaps there’s a retipping regimen that resolves this issue without requiring new components.

Some laser work can be done without removing some gemstones (diamonds). Moissanite, I’m not sure.

Not the most helpful opinion, I know. I recommend chatting with your jeweller first. If you don’t feel confident about whatever response you receive, you can have your ring appraised by an independent appraiser (should be an expert with no store affiliation) - he or she will provide an impartial opinion.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kazwin24

Rough_Rock
Thank you, it’s helpful just to have someone else’s opinion as my fiancé is getting sick of hearing about it I’ve emailed a lengthy reply to the jeweller with the pictures, I guess I am grateful for any opinion or experience at all so I can gather all the knowledge I can while waiting for their reply, so thanks once again :)

kazwin24

Rough_Rock
Update, the jeweller has offered to “flatten out” the prongs to remove the hooked aspect. When I queried about my concern the prongs were already far too thin, I was dismissed. What can I do now? :(

Not a professional here. But from the look of things, it sounds like this may be the best that this vendor can do. If they haven't gotten it right by now and are still dismissive of your concerns, I'm not sure if it's worth giving them another chance... Unless you feel this setting/these prongs may be unsalvageble anyways, so he may as well have at it?? That'd be the only reason I'd let him touch ny ring again to be honest.

kazwin24

Rough_Rock
Yes I think you may be right, if they could actually fix it why would they not have done from the start. I’m worried they will end up even worse, or risk damaging my centre stone :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results