shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Problems getting a Jeweler to mount my SP eternity!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
I feel so deflated, and wonder if anyone has had this happen. Part of me wants to believe it is the Holiday rush, but my gut says not! I went to my local place(have done business there before) and took my new SP mounting, and old mounting with diamond still in. Before even removing them from my handbag, I say I want to have my stone set in new setting and appraisal done. The Gia employee (one of two(the other is the store owner) says they are way busy, but says she will talk with the gentleman(who does all the work). After 5-6 minutes she comes back to say the ring sizes are different(which I knew), and said my 3ct stone may not fit the center head because it looked smaller, and asked where I got the setting, looked at it under the scope and said several stones were loose, and with this kind of setting I will need to be careful of that. She said it would be $260 to get it set!!! Then she said I should consider having the place I got the ring set it for me. I said I would talk it over with my husband and left.
On to Joe Escober. They asked when I would need it by(as also busy). Said diamond would fit head but tight. Looked over setting then said with that kind of setting he would recommend having the place I got it, set my center stone.
I feel I am being snubbed because I did not purchase through these stores, but online. I also feel many jewelers are imtimidated by the mounting(eternity band semi mount). Am I off here? So many people here buy mountings online, have any of you had this happen? Is it just the time of year or both? I am sure there are priorties for those who buy from these stores, in service, in December. But I felt totally snubbed.
What do you think? Maybe we are a threat and insult to B&M''s? I dont know?
Any Suggestions? Mara I might be heading Over to Willow Glen Jewelers. I have had them do a online stone confirmation, and they also set a stone for me one time, but to tell you the truth, now I am intimadated by this whole experience. Any input on what to do?? I donot want to send my ring to SP, so other ideas?

38.gif
29.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry Glamgirl. It has come up here from time to time. Many local places don''t want to take on the risk involved in setting a stone into a new setting, neither of which was purchased from them. What if something is damaged during the process? who''s responsible? As you''ve discovered, those who will do it charge for it. I know Wink said in another thread he won''t set someone else''s stone. I hope Willow Glen will work out something for you so you don''t have to send it cross country
40.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
glamgirl...sorry to hear about your situation. I had a similar situation when I got my upgraded w-set.

I had found the "perfect" setting and we bought the center stone from another jeweler, who agreed to set it for me in my setting. I also needed my setting resized, which the jeweler also agreed to do. I left the setting and the stone with the jeweler with the expectation to pick up the set the next day. I got a call from the jeweler. There was a snag with the resizing which would require the master jeweler to reset all the diamonds in order to resize it and they didn''t know if the stone could be accommodated by the prong size!!! The jeweler told me 3 master jewelers refused to touch my ring....

Well, I was beside myself. The jeweler agreed to do "what he could," but I could feel my heart sink into my stomach. About 7 hours later, I got a call from the jeweler. The ring was ready to be picked up!! I was so scared to see what the final product was. A master jeweler liked "puzzles" and wanted to take on the challenge. He had to remove all the baguettes from the setting to resize the rings and then reset them. He also had to adjust the prongs to make the diamond fit securely. He worked on it all day, non-stop, but it came out beautiful and I don''t regret it one bit!!!

You may have to look for a jeweler who has the skill and the know-how to make it work...it''s sad that neither of these jewelers want to touch it, but there may be good reason...can you get a 3rd opinion by a highly skilled jeweler who isn''t affiliated with either the setting/stone seller???

Good luck!!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry you are having a hard time! I'm a bit concerned about whether you have loose stones in the setting though. It's possible that the jeweler was correct, and it is very possible that he or she was upset that you did not purchase the setting from them. Just make sure it was the latter.

Also, you are going to have to pay for the setting of your diamond since you did not purchase the setting or diamond from the jeweler. When I was talking with WF about having them custom make an e-ring setting for me, I think they were going to charge me somewhere around $150 to set my stone. And while I didn't talk specifics about liability for damage, I was under the impression that I was going to be bearing the risk of damage. So make sure when you are negotiating price, that it includes them taking responsibility for your stone. And you are going to pay for that guarantee. Or cross your fingers
2.gif

Take it to a couple other jewelers and see what they have to say. Let us know!

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
I have had two stones (same size previously set) The charges were $140 and $170(different jeweler. I have never heard of paying $260. It is a basket mounting for a 3ct and is new.
I dont get it.It just seems like way too much? or am I missing something?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s really odd...I don''t know if maybe it''s because they are so busy they don''t want to deal with another project? Who knows...maybe they really are worried or intimidated.

I would try WG and then see what they say. If three people say the same thing, then maybe you should have SP do it. What a pain, I''m so sorry this is happening to you!!

What if you change your story...say that this is a family setting or something and that you want your stone set into it? I cannot recall but remember some story maybe where someone was having problems having a 3rd party set their stone into the mounting and they changed their story or said it was a family setting and did not have any problems. I don''t know if maybe the jewelers are piqued they missed out on the business?

Well on the other hand, $250 to set it sounds like alot but it may be a better option than having to send it to SP???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
One other thought, what about Toppers in Burlinggame as well?

Maybe call and talk to Bill, he is familiar with PS, and tell him your problem? At least then you know you would be dealing with someone who is familiar with PS and the online world and seems friendly to it?

I''d try WG too though, they have really been accommodating to me in the past with resizing and tightening prongs etc..

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
It does seem more than what you have been previously quoted. But maybe it has to do with the SP mounting and the jeweler''s concerns over the risks of setting a diamond in it. I would ask that jeweler to explain the apparently high price. See what he says.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 6:13:50 PM
Author: glamgirl
I have had two stones (same size previously set) The charges were $140 and $170(different jeweler. I have never heard of paying $260. It is a basket mounting for a 3ct and is new. I dont get it. It just seems like way too much? or am I missing something?

My hunch -- they KNOW you have the $$ ... hello! 3ct rock! It''s why I don''t wear my Gucci sunglasses to swap meets & flea markets ... the prices they quote are hella higher if they have ANY sense I might pay it. Also, the risk $$ amount is higher on a 3ct stone than the average 1 ct ... JMHO

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a very good point deco. glamgirl, I am so sorry you are having trouble finding a jeweler that will set your stone into the new SP setting. I''m sure you''ll find someone soon. I''d rather go for someone that has a ton of experience and pay a little extra. It will be worth it in the long run. Good luck!!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I had a shared prong mounting from SP and had both my stones set locally. Both jewelers I took it to gave me the warning that this kind of setting can be problematic and that I needed to be on the look-out for loose stones. They set the stone regardless, but I did get that warning.

It''s odd, though, that both stores commented on the fact that the head seemed too small. Any chance that''s true? And what about the loose stones? I would definitely get a third opinion to see whether the problem is the mounting, sour grapes, or a bit of both.

And, yes, I agree that $260 sounds extremely high! When I had my 2.35 ct set a few weeks ago, it cost me about $150. Does the fact that your stone is a 3ct explain the $110 difference?

So sorry you weren''t able to get your stone set today!! I know how excited you must be and it sucks to have to wait. Hopefully Toppers or WG can help you out. I would recommend calling ahead of time and explaining the problem. I''ve found, sometimes, that I get more attention when they are expecting me. Just a thought. Good luck and keep us posted!!

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much everyone. The last two stones I had set were 3ct rounds(including the one I am removing), with a setting I provided, in both cases the amounts were both under $200 and there were no mounting questions from anyone This same jeweler(who mounted my current ring( charged $170- Now $265). I did not ask why the higher price. I guess, at this time there is a $$$$$ charge for not "store bought" services? I dont know I am guessing.

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
Well Willow Glen Diamond Company has come to the rescue!!!! I cannot believe it! The gal looked at it, and said, how it is "simple enough to mount. How about $30???" Can you believe it!!She said it will probably be done either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. They will mount the center stone(swap them out), AND check and tighten any loose stones on the eternity band!!! For $30!!!!!!!! WoW! I cannot believe the difference! I had a diamond mounted there before(same size stone), but needed to buy a new platinum head. That was $130. But $30?? I am waiting for a phone call saying it will be more, that there was a mistake. I cannot believe it. Should I worry. I just looked at the receipt, and noticed she did not write the diamond size down. The receipt just says replace diamond(swap)in new mounting. It does not say 3ct round, but the setting is sized with my stone for a 3ct. I just thought if they lost it how would I prove I had a 3ct. Am a being paranoid? I have done business there before so trying to relax about it.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Wow! $30 is very inexpensive!! It sounds like they''re a reputable company and even did work on Mara''s rings without charging her. I would, however, check to find out who would be liable if something happens to your stone during the setting process. I''m sure it will be fine, though. Too bad they couldn''t do it while you wait!!! Can''t wait to see pics!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great news. I would call them about the receipt just to be safe.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would call and ask for a more detailed receipt to be faxed over or something you can pick up tomorrow. but in the past from workign with them they seem so relaxed about things so i wouldn't think they were trying to pull a fast one on you. i know someone else locally did biz from them and PM'd me that she was REALLY happy with how reasonable with pricing they were vs Joe E etc.

they did resize my rings for FREE which i was surprised about since they are eternity and thought it would be a big deal but they just shaved out a tiny bit of the insides since my rings had alot of metal, they did it in 5 minutes too. i just left them there and went to the dog store and then came back. i have to say the sizing wasn't done PERFECTLY in that a few small areas had more removed than others, but you don't see it when they are on, only when i *scrutinized them* under bright light, so i figured no big deal. i'[m also not that picky about stuff though in general.

they always clean and check my stones for free too. i also had them check out my 10 stone ring from ebay and they did it for free..just a quickie.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Glamgirl, that''s an unbelievable price! I would definitely want more info written on a receipt though. Just to be safe. Is your stone laser inscribed? If so, have them find the number on the diamond and include that on the new receipt.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2005 3:47:19 PM
Author: Mara

...they did resize my rings for FREE which i was surprised about since they are eternity and thought it would be a big deal but they just shaved out a tiny bit of the insides since my rings had alot of metal, they did it in 5 minutes too. i just left them there and went to the dog store and then came back...

Mara,
I thought Whiteflash did that for you?? Am I losing my mind?!
2.gif

Lynn

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
no i had WF shave down my e-ring width to be less than 2.8mm but the rings themselves needed to be resized 1/4 size so i just had it done locally...this was maybe in early summer?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oups (for the editing).

Didn't read the whole thread... must be the late hour.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results