shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP - Princess Cut ?''s from a (knowledgeable) newbie (in canada)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gettingclose...

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

Im looking to get a princess cut in the next couple of months. I''ve been doing quite a bit of research thus far and am looking for a sizable rock (1.5 - 1.8) but am not sure what to "cheap out" on and where is the best online site to purchase from???

Im looking to spend about $14,000 - $16,000 CDN and realize that cut is prob. the most important. Im thinking about something like:

IDEAL/EXCELLENT (Hearts & Arrows) What do I look for to ensure im getting the best cut???
1.6 ct.
F,G,H??? I read not to skimp on colour w/ Princess cut b/c it might show in corners???
VS2

Please help decide 1) Where can I get the best deal, from a reputable source (I''ll travel if it''s worth it) 2) What should I compromise more or less on???

Thanks a lot!!

SuperDave

Rough_Rock

Hi,

You might find this useful. Go to the Rocky Talky section and do a search for this post: ASET and Idealscope @ Whiteflash by bengbrewer. He starts off talking about rounds but progresses to princess cuts. I think this can help with finding a well cut diamond. You can purchase the Ideal scope and ASET Scope via various websites. I found them very helpful.

Good Luck,

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
Exceldiamonds.com. They have a great selection of non conflict AGS-0, loose diamonds, and thier own diamond--The Superbcert Diamond, which I chose. It''s cut allows minimum leakage and gives great white color and sparkle. Check them out. The also carry a great line of settings, like Vatche. Thier sales people (owners), Barry and Judah are great to work with!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
You can comfortably go to SI1 in clarity if it''s eye-clean. Your color range is good, and you can probably go even lower if you''re either not color-sensitive or you don''t prefer the higher colors. I have a gorgeous I princess, for example. You can save a TON of cash just by dropping from G or H to I. You''re very right not to compromise on cut. Go for an AGS0 if you can...they guarantee good light return, although they carry a slight premium. My favorites are the A Cut Above princesses on whiteflash.com.

Also, just a quick correction...there is no such thing as Hearts and Arrows in a princess stone. There IS a square hearts and arrows stone, but it''s not a princess. Check it out at goodoldgold.com if you want H&A optics in a square shape.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bacid

Rough_Rock
nice to see a fellow canuck here..

i would personally suggest buying from USA because even after the shipping & tax it is still significantly cheaper than buying locally (when comparing equivalent products, ex. AGS000).

with our canadian dollar close to par with the US dollar it''s never been a better time to do cross-border shopping.

i bought my ring/rock from exceldiamonds.com as well and i was very happy with the service.

i haven''t seen the end product yet but with all the good things i''ve read/heard about them i''m sure it will "wow" me.

if you really want to stick with a canadian vendor, then usacert diamonds (search on google) is a operation based out of TO. their prices are just as good as the online vendors here however they cannot easily call in multiple stones as they are a drop shipper.

gettingclose...

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 7:14:30 PM
Author: bacid
nice to see a fellow canuck here..

i would personally suggest buying from USA because even after the shipping & tax it is still significantly cheaper than buying locally (when comparing equivalent products, ex. AGS000).

with our canadian dollar close to par with the US dollar it''s never been a better time to do cross-border shopping.

i bought my ring/rock from exceldiamonds.com as well and i was very happy with the service.

i haven''t seen the end product yet but with all the good things i''ve read/heard about them i''m sure it will ''wow'' me.

if you really want to stick with a canadian vendor, then usacert diamonds (search on google) is a operation based out of TO. their prices are just as good as the online vendors here however they cannot easily call in multiple stones as they are a drop shipper.
Thanks for the info. Im from Calgary btw...

My next question around sparkle, brilliance is will an AGS0 princess sparkle as much as an excellent round stone.

If not, which stone sparkles the most next to round brilliant???

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I think the sparkle of an AGS0 princess is comparable to an AGS0 round. My princess sparkles so much it''s practically blinding! It''s just a different kind of sparkle. Rounds have larger flashes of light, but princesses have multiple smaller flashes. It''s all personal preference.

gettingclose...

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 9:50:21 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Yes, I think the sparkle of an AGS0 princess is comparable to an AGS0 round. My princess sparkles so much it''s practically blinding! It''s just a different kind of sparkle. Rounds have larger flashes of light, but princesses have multiple smaller flashes. It''s all personal preference.
Thanks alot, now another question, sorry.

I have seen settings on Ideal Diamonds that are well priced and unique. Is this a reputable site, what are others with a large selection???

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Cool! I am in Sk!

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
really?? whereabouts? This beautiful province is where I have settled.

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
2.gif

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
North west Saskatchewan, about 4-4.5 hours away from that Moose
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results