shape
carat
color
clarity

Help (pretty please) regarding "surface grain line" and AGS cert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

M_Coupe

Rough_Rock
Hey All.

I've been shopping for an engagement ring and had it narrowed down to two jewlers. One online, and the other local. The local jewler offered to let me bring the online stone in and compare in their store.

Immediately upon seeing the online-purchaed stone, the jeweler said "This stone has a fracture!". According to the AGS cert, it has two pinpoints (shown on the cert) and in the notes section lists "surface grain line, not shown".

So - I can see the "fracture"/"grain line" that the local dealer is pointing out, but I dont know enough to tell if it's an acual fracture, or a surface grain line! Argh! The jewler claims that it's BAD news to have a fracture so near one of the prongs, because tightening the head of the ring will worsen the fracture later on.

The line is not straight. It's slightly curvy/jagged (like a kinky hair or piece of lint). It appears to be at or just beneath the surface and is only visible under 10x.

EDIT:
Meant to add that the stone is otherwise a beaut!
.725/VS1/D
Polish/Sym (AGS): ID/ID
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 57%
Crwn Ang: 34.7 degrees
Pav Angl: 40.8 degrees
culet: very small

Thoughts? Thanks so much for your time!
- Ryan

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What is the clarity grade of the stone? Graining isn't usually a problem, unless it's extreme. From your description, it sounds significant but not extreme... Did it affect the clarity grade of your stone?
Also, please remember that your jeweler's opinion is not unbiased... He may be angry because he lost a substantial sale...
1.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
I think your cert tells it all..."SURFACE grain line"

This should not affect clarity being on the surface, but could affect cut - although seems not to have from your description.

Also, from your description the clarity grade sounds like VVS1/2.

I think Giangi is right - the jeweler has an obvious conflict of interest he can't seem to overcome, and not as uncommon as you might think...I had a client who took a VVS1 stone to a jeweler who told him it looked like an SI1!...fortunately, the client saw through the charade and no harm done.

This is why it is essential that the stone be evaluated by an INDEPENDENT appraiser (someone who does not sell diamonds).

So, unless the AGS has totally mis-graded the stone (very doubtful), the surface grain line will not represent a durability issue - period.

M_Coupe

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. SO does anyone know where I can find some images of this type of flaw for the sake of comparison? When I saw "grain line" on the cert, I'd envisioned something straight and light in color, not dark and curvy.

I'm in the process of trying to find a local appriaser, but so far the only jewelery appriasers in the yellow pages are places that also sell diamonds (not the best way to get an unbiased opinion).

Thanks again!
- Ryan

magna2

Shiny_Rock
The surface graining should not be an issue. GIA already takes it into consideration when they assign the clarity grade.

You can check out the Good Old Gold site for examples of inclusions http://www.goodoldgold.com/gallery_of_inclusions.htm. You'll be able to learn more about graining.

Unfortuantely for you that you took the diamond to the jeweler that is trying to compete with the on-line vendor thus the scare tactic.

rodent.gif

M_Coupe

Rough_Rock
cry.gif
I've been told by a second jeweler (again, not an appraiser) that the flaw is, indeed, a fracture. Possibly caused by the person who mounted the stone. Does that sound plausable? Could someone cause a fracture by applying too much pressure when mounting the stone in the ring?

Magna - I looked at the surface grain line images from the goodoldgold site (great source of info!) The flaw in my stone is darker and less 'linear' than that.

The good news is that the online dealer will reimburse me for the return shipping and has an even better stone for me:

.733 ct / D / VVS2 / AGS 0 cut
Flouresence: Neglig.
Table: 57
Depth: 61.3
Crown Ang: 33.7
Pav Ang: 40.9
Cutlet: Pointed (0.5%)
Girdle: Faceted 1.7 to 2.5
5.78mm x 5.85mm x 3.56mm

I might go ahead and make the swap.
confused.gif

Ugh... this is the most nerve-racking purchase ever. I'd much rather be car shopping!!
21.gif

- Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results