shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikeyboy

Rough_Rock
I am a novice and need opinions from some experts. I''ve narrowed my search down to 2 stones. They are basically the same price (not an important consideration). The question comes down to what is more desirable or a better buy. My entire goal is making my girlfriend happy with an engagement diamond that she is proud of and loves (she doesn''t know much about diamonds either). I know you probably need more information, but this is all I have, so I guess my question comes down to cut versus clarity and is an I color (borderline H) good? It will be set in platinum.

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 2.17
Cut: Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: SI1 (eye clean)
Cert: GIA
Depth %: 62.1%
Table %: 57%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.26 x 8.32 x 5.15 mm.

OR

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 2.14
Cut: Very Good
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Cert: GIA
Depth %: 59.7%
Table %: 57%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Very thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.41 x 8.48 x 5.04 mm

Any advice, opinions and/or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you for helping.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post the crown/pavillion angles, this would help better evaluate the stones?? Also, do you have any images or IS images of the stones?

As far as color goes, you will see a touch of warmth from the side, but if the stones are well-cut (not sure yet on this), the stones should face up very white. It might help you to go see some I stones in person to get a better idea of this.

mikeyboy

Rough_Rock
I don''t have any images.

2.17 carat

Crown: 35 degrees
Pavilion: 41.2 degrees

2.14 carat

Crown: 32.5
Pavilion 41

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Mike, are these online?

mikeyboy

Rough_Rock
Yes, at Blue Nile.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00353414

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00444806

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I didn''t want to go suggesting online stones if you wre looking in B&M''s.
2.gif

As for those two, without an IS image, I''d pass on both, as the angles go to both extremes. Let me see what else they''ve got.

mikeyboy

Rough_Rock
Excellent. I appreciate the help. I''m glad I stumbled in here.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
The 2.14 is very interesting - almost a 60/60 and its facing up much larger than the heavier 2.17. It comes up a 0.7 on the HCA, with 4 Excellents. I''d definitely consider it, you''re getting a lot of face-up size/spread for the money.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2007 9:49:47 PM
Author: ILikeBond
The 2.14 is very interesting - almost a 60/60 and its facing up much larger than the heavier 2.17. It comes up a 0.7 on the HCA, with 4 Excellents. I''d definitely consider it, you''re getting a lot of face-up size/spread for the money.
I''m all for a spready diamond, but only if everything else seems fine.

That one has a shallower crown angle combined with a girdle that''s very thin in places. That could possibly be a durability issue. Also, very thin to med. is a wider variance than I''d like to see, thin to med. would be better.

And the amount of size he''d be getting is really negligable, just not worth it in my opinion, when there are others available.

Also, as for the 0.7 score, lower is not better. It states most people prefer in the 1-2 range.

Just my .02!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2007 7:24:52 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/3/2007 9:49:47 PM
Author: ILikeBond
I''m all for a spready diamond, but only if everything else seems fine.

That one has a shallower crown angle combined with a girdle that''s very thin in places. That could possibly be a durability issue. Also, very thin to med. is a wider variance than I''d like to see, thin to med. would be better.

And the amount of size he''d be getting is really negligable, just not worth it in my opinion, when there are others available.

Also, as for the 0.7 score, lower is not better. It states most people prefer in the 1-2 range.

Just my .02!
Ditto - if this diamond was being seriously considered, it would be best to have that girdle checked out by an expert, in case of durability issue. I would check out Ellen''s suggestions, she knows her stuff!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i like #2

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 7:40:08 AM
Author: Lorelei

Ditto - if this diamond was being seriously considered, it would be best to have that girdle checked out by an expert, in case of durability issue. I would check out Ellen''s suggestions, she knows her stuff!
Why thank you mam, I try. And I''ve had some good instructors.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2007 7:53:38 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/4/2007 7:40:08 AM

Why thank you mam, I try. And I''ve had some good instructors.
2.gif
You do superbly Ellen and I am so glad you are here, not to mention the many people you have helped!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Thank you too for your kind words!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 8:44:45 AM

You do superbly Ellen and I am so glad you are here, not to mention the many people you have helped!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Thank you too for your kind words!
Thank you Lorelei, that really means a lot. And I''m glad I''m here too.
2.gif

mikeyboy

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the suggestions/advice. I sincerely appreciate the guidance.

Ellen, what are your thoughts on the WF diamonds listed above compared to the ones from BN that you suggested?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d have to agree with these recommendations. You have stones cut to the highest standards and the vendor has a lifetime trade-up policy in case you ever did want to change size, color, or clarity. I, personally, would choose from these.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mikey, the WF ACA line are almost always fantastic performers, you can't really go wrong with any diamond of the ACA line. The diamonds Ellen posted are great too - depends on what you want, the pedigree of the ACA and the back up WH can offer, or whether you wish to stick with BN for purchase. WF does have an upgrade policy which is always an advantage to have, if you are considering ACA diamonds as well, I would tend to go with one of those in preference, that would be my choice.

mikeyboy

Rough_Rock
I didn''t list my maximum, because that isn''t as important as making the right buying decision. Granted, it doesn''t seem to make sense to buy a museum piece (IF/D) for a ring because I''m not sure that my girlfriend would really care about the difference, and I don''t really look at diamonds as an investment (aside from the obvious personal/emotional investment). But a good "tiffany quality" stones seems right.

The most important thing to my girlfriend (from what I can gather without her really knowing) is fire and brilliance. 2-2.2 ct is about as big as I can go with the filigree setting she likes. So, that is really my aim. The diamonds listed above are all within the range of reasonable prices. I don''t want to overpay for something (i.e., if 2 places have identical stones, I''d definitely go with the more cost-effective option), but I don''t want to cut unnecessary corners to save a buck, not on something this important. I guess the plan is to buy the most brilliant/firey stone that is eye clean and appears colorless in the ring (I guess that would be G-H/I color).

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Just to get a better idea...is it possible for you to post a pic of the setting you are planning on putting the stone in? Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2007 1:25:13 PM
Author: mikeyboy
I didn't list my maximum, because that isn't as important as making the right buying decision. Granted, it doesn't seem to make sense to buy a museum piece (IF/D) for a ring because I'm not sure that my girlfriend would really care about the difference, and I don't really look at diamonds as an investment (aside from the obvious personal/emotional investment). But a good 'tiffany quality' stones seems right.

The most important thing to my girlfriend (from what I can gather without her really knowing) is fire and brilliance. 2-2.2 ct is about as big as I can go with the filigree setting she likes. So, that is really my aim. The diamonds listed above are all within the range of reasonable prices. I don't want to overpay for something (i.e., if 2 places have identical stones, I'd definitely go with the more cost-effective option), but I don't want to cut unnecessary corners to save a buck, not on something this important. I guess the plan is to buy the most brilliant/firey stone that is eye clean and appears colorless in the ring (I guess that would be G-H/I color).
Then maybe something like the ACA might be the best option for you, you obviously know the importance of cut, vendors such as WF and Good old Gold etc, have all the info you need to make a great informed choice for cut and the other components, it takes a lot of the guess work out of it. This is really going to be a fabulous ring and a wonderful size!

ETA - I found one in the Expert Selection, these are diamonds which missed the ACA designation often by a hair.
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-69407.htm#

Another - http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-65878.htm ( I don't know if you have considered a J colour)

And this - http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-78297.htm

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 12:52:23 PM
Author: mikeyboy
Thank you everyone for the suggestions/advice. I sincerely appreciate the guidance.

Ellen, what are your thoughts on the WF diamonds listed above compared to the ones from BN that you suggested?

As the others have stated, and I can agree, ACA's are stunning. I own studs with them, so I know how well cut they are.

Comparing them to the BN stones is impossible at this point, as we would need a Sarin and hearts and arrows pics to tell how well cut they are. They are AGS000 though, so they are not shabby by any means, but we just can't tell to what level they're cut to.

As for k's suggestions, they would be great, but they're I's, which I posted earlier I personally wouldn't go with in a 2+ carat stone. H would be my limit.

The one ds posted would be great, and save you some too. Which brings me to, you haven't stated your top budget on the stone, so not sure what else to suggest. I'll throw these out, see what you think.

This one is nice in that your getting the look of a 2 ct., but not paying for it. While it's a tad deeper than we normally go, it's not affecting performance in the least, and while it's facing up a bit smaller, again, you're still getting a 2 ct. look. I think it would be a beautiful stone, and you could always ask GOG to look at it for you. They're a good company, I've bought from them as well.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2379/

Then there's this G, just for a price comparison. As you can see, it really jumps, but like I said, I wasn't sure how high your budget is. If money were no object, I'd get the G, but it usually is.
9.gif
2.gif

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-70716.htm#

Both these co. have upgrading, if that is important.

HTH!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, was posting while you all were!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful setting! Is it by WhiteHouse Bros? I would definitely not worry about dropping down in color, especially with that setting, since it will cover up the sides of the stone anyway. One of my friends has an AGSO ideal cut I color 3.3 carats, and I can tell you that it looks very white to those of us around her. She loves it too. I have a 2.3 carat I/J stone, granted it is an OEC, not an ideal cut, and no one has ever noticed anything but sparkle. Your GF is very lucky!!!

mikeyboy

Rough_Rock
Yes, it is by White House Brothers. Thank you again to everyone. You guys/gals have made this process much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results