shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please

brilliantcut23

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I’m new to this forum and new to diamonds in general. I’m a guy looking for an engagement ring and just took a dive into the research about 2 weeks ago. I’ve learned everything I can from the 4cs to the certifications, testing and more. I’m still new though so it goes without saying I haven’t experienced any of what I’ve read about in my research. I’m not sure if any of my research is even accurate. That is why I’m hoping you all might be able to help me.

I have two diamonds in contention right now. Both princess cuts. Any thoughts on either would be greatly appreciated. Or if you think I should go one way or the other. Apologies in advance for not providing enough info.

Diamond #1 (left)
1.42ct E VS1 - GIA cert - $12000

Diamond #2 (right)
1.71ct G VS2 - GIA cert - $11,500

C4B71A88-1DF0-446C-AAE6-A99AE61B0264.png 76EE5751-757D-4CDE-913B-A5F3C0ACF364.jpeg

What I could see in person with the not so great store lighting, was that diamond #2 had much more noticeable sparkle and fire from all angles. It is a beautiful and clear diamond to look at it. But when compared to diamond #1 side by side, and above the black surface, diamond #2 almost looks like it has a very minor yellow tint. I know when it gets put on a setting, that it won’t be noticeable - if what I’m seeing is actually a yellow tint and not just what looks yellow-ish because it is next to an E diamond. Not sure though.

Diamond #1 on the other hand, was pure white and clear as can be. The shine was great but the sparkle was much more muted. Maybe this was due to the very little florescence? It had noticeable haziness under a black light but not at all with the naked eye. Diamond #2 had no fluorescence.

I know more details are needed. But given this info, and the low level pics (I know - there isn’t much to go on) would anyone definitely choose one way or the other? Any thoughts on either diamond? The biggest reason I’m on the fence is size vs color since price is so close. Both are perfectly clean to the naked eye. But I can’t help but notice the color standing out on diamond #1. Both rocks are from a local jewler that I’d like to keep supporting if if everything works out right. But after all - this purchase isn’t for me. So anyway....

Sorry for the really terrible pics. Thanks a ton for any and all help that can be given here.

Last edited:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately we can't assess much from the pictures provided - are they able to provide any light return images? Do you have the GIA numbers (if so please post the reports here)? The report could tell us how many chevrons the stones have, dimensions and the cut proportions. FWIW, princess cuts are not really very popular right now - are you sure this is what SHE wants?

G is still extremely white and you might've been noticing a slight tint since it was right next to an E color stone and under spot lighting. Princess cuts face up very small for their carat weight so I'd be focused on trying to maximize size (look at dimensions and NOT carat weight). Pricing seems a touch high - here are a couple of stones from a super ideal vendor who have an extremely easy and generous upgrade policy. I've also included some very nice James Allen stones.

:kiss2: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.76-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-8494605
Huge cost savings: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.51-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-8337189

This one also looks nice: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...NDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&catalogView=true

JaneDough

Rough_Rock
Based purely on the photos diamond #2 looks more sparkly and stands out more to me! Diamond #1 looks a bit flat.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you are just going between these 2, I personally would go for the smaller one because I think the icy-white will be a knockout and, to me, I see a lot of tint in the larger one. For me, and I realize I'm in the minority here, but I feel that although smaller, that one will stand out more because it is so colorless. Since I've had my E (a year now), it happens all the time for me... as compared to everyone else in the room... those who have larger diamonds and those who have mountings that contain diamonds, my diamond stands out and I only have a plain, solitaire mounting. Honestly, I have been shocked about this. And, with regard to size, I honestly don't think they look that much different. So with that in mind, think about the fact that E color is less than 1% of all diamonds. If you have the opportunity to purchase something that rare, without really looking that much smaller than the other, how do you (and how will she) feel about that? What type of setting will it go in?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is the number one factor in the beauty of a diamond, and unfortunately, we can't see enough to tell anything about the cut of those two stones. I understand the intent of wanting to support a local jeweler. I started out that way when looking for a new diamond for our anniversary several years ago. But in the end, no local jeweler had the quality of diamonds that I found from coming here.

These two that @ac177 posted are outstanding:

If you look at these videos carefully, you can see the beautiful, symmetrical cut and the fact that there is almost no leakage resulting in superior light return. Try to look at the other stones and see if you can tell the difference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results