shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please-

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
Hi there!! I''m going to start right off by saying that this is my first real jewelry purchase. I know practically nothing beyond what I have read on the internet. I''m afraid to go in the jewelry stores- I don''t dress like I wear $15,000 tennis bracelets and they could sniff out right away that I can''t afford their prices. I''m shopping online.

Here''s what I''m getting- I have $1500 to choose a wedding ring with. (Odd I know, but we never did it when we got married for lots of reasons, and now we are, and I get to pick out my heart''s desire!!! WHEEEEE!!!!) I want lots of sparkle (if I can get it), no white gold (I''m not taking that thing in to be replated, forget it), and I want yellow gold or platinum only. 14 kt yellow gold is probably better for me.

After lots of research, I have come up with these two options:

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/diamond-band--special-order-100ctw-five-diamond-band

http://www.goldspeed.com/re25210.html

My main questions are-

Which is a better value?

The first one- would it be o.k. for someone who is on the clumsy side? I have somewhat of depth perception problems and tend to knock into things a bit.

I should also ask- does anyone have any better suggestions as to rings? I''d love to hear them!

Lastly- with all this reading, it occurred to me that perhaps little old me could actually make a trip to the Diamond District in NYC. I could make it a (very long) day trip if I wanted, I live close enough. Would it be worth it? How would I manage? Is there any point if I only have $1500 to play with?

Thank you!!!

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
And lookie here-

Another person in the "testimonials" section just said how they went all the way from Oregon to the NYC Diamond District, and they visited these folks here: http://www.idjewelryonline.com/index.php He said how great it was and all. So, if I go over there, I''m guessing that I''ll have close to the same selection? More importantly, would I have the same prices as online?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I''d avoid the diamond district unless you know exactly what you are doing, have nerves of steel and an almost infinite capacity to tolerate fools and keep calm.

In terms of rings, I''d also consider somewhere like signed pieces and/or estate jewellers. From the two you have posted, I know and I trust David (DBL/Rockdiamond) to deliver on promises he makes; I have never heard of goldspeed. Just my 2c.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I would go to jewelry stores, but ONLY to try things on, as a lot of times the things you think you like don''t end up looking like you thought they would. I think you''re absolutely right in buying online! As far as better value goes, I would do some research on cut quality. Not saying that the two you''re looking at aren''t good, I''m just saying that the quality of cut is THE most important factor if you really want sparkle. Good luck!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Ummm.... I''d steer clear of that first one. I just looked closer and the color is listed as J/K, and then it goes on to say the diamonds are icy white because they''re G or better. And the inclusions would NOT be ok with me for my wedding band. And, just because someone says "excellent cut" doesn''t really mean the cut is excellent. I difeinitely think you could do better.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 9:34:08 AM
Author: Kelli
I would go to jewelry stores, but ONLY to try things on, as a lot of times the things you think you like don''t end up looking like you thought they would. I think you''re absolutely right in buying online! As far as better value goes, I would do some research on cut quality. Not saying that the two you''re looking at aren''t good, I''m just saying that the quality of cut is THE most important factor if you really want sparkle. Good luck!

ITTA with Kelli. I would use the stores for trying on styles. I recently purchased a wedding band. I had my heart set on a Beverly K anitque inspired band. I LOVED the pic of the ring. When I got to see the ring in person it was 50% smaller in person that I thought and I didn''t love it in person. You couldn''t see the detail IRL like you did in the pic...so I ended up with a style I never thought I would love on me. An eternity band. GL with the shopping
35.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Check out whiteflash.com. I just looked and they have several gorgoeus things within your budget. I'm suggesting them in particular because they set all their wedding bands with their branded H&A cut diamonds, even the smaller stones, so you get CRAZY sparkle with much less of a premium than you'd pay at other places. I've worked with them before and they're wonderful! I also hear that facets.com has really great bands too, but I've never personally looked.

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
So- how is a u-prong setting for someone who is somewhat klutzy? Especially for everyday wear? That first ring looks pretty low-set to me (as if I would really know) so I'm thinking I could get away with it. Is there something I don't know? Are u-prongs particularly delicate or something?

That u-prong ring is by David (RockDiamond) and he has a really, really good reputation. Not only what was said just now, but I found another page with 15 glowing testimonials.

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your comments- they are so helpful!! I'm going to check out Whiteflash & Facets, too! I'm not done yet- I want to hear what others think, too!!
35.gif

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
I just thought I''d let you folks know-

I called RockDiamond and got the owner''s wife!! She was really really nice, and explained everything. She said they have free sizing for life, maybe pay for the cost of the platinum if I get platinum and I need it sized to a much larger size, but not pay for labor. She said that ring there is indeed low-profile, and would be just fine for everyday wear, and is very sturdy. She even said that I could come by appointment, if I had a ring in mind that I wanted to purchase. She said this was because they have a very small office there, is all- but she reassured me that they send things out daily via overnight mail, that if there is any problem whatsoever I can send it back explained the guarantees & all. She asked me my ring size and I told her, well, I went to three different jewelers and they each told me something different- so she said, no problem, we can send you a set of ring sizers in the mail, and you try them on, and send them back and separate out the one that fits and we send it to the factory and they make the ring. We even got to talking about our kids, haha!!

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
How does this ring compare? http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-gold_5417?metal_filter=yellow

Ring-Complete Information
Stock number: 5417
Metal: 18k yellow gold
18k white gold
Width: 3.2mm
Diamond Information
Number of round diamonds: 5
Minimum carat total
weight (ct. tw.): 0.98
Average color: H
Average clarity: SI2
Setting type: Prong setting

It's a 5-stone setting like the one from RockDiamonds that I was looking at, at first. Better diamonds though- is this a good deal?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Do you wear an engagement ring? If you do, it may be helpful for us to see pictures so we can find something that complements your ring.

ETA: Check out this 5-stone - you'd be getting some of the best cut diamonds available, very nice color/clarity (F/VS), and it's $1550 for the 0.75 ctw version in 14k...says white gold but I'm sure they would make it in yellow gold.

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
No, I don''t wear an engagement ring. That''s mainly why I wanted this ring to incorporate diamonds, also.

That''s a good one- Thank you!!

Anybody else have any thoughts?
36.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
No problem! Just keep in mind that cut is the "C" that really makes a diamond sparkle, so what you want to look for is the best cut diamonds available. The RockDiamond and Blue Nile bands don''t have much information on cut. On the other hand, the WF ACA diamonds are superideal cut, so you pay a small price premium (that''s why the 0.75ctw is close to the price of the 1ctw elsewhere)...but you''ll get a ring that sparkles like nothing you''ve ever seen before.

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
Wait, actually it says it is $1550 for the .50 ctw.....Hmmmm...Given that I'm farsighted but only need glasses for reading, I dunno that I'd ever be able to tell the difference really- shouldn't I go for 1 ktw if I can get it?....any thoughts, folks? :)

Specifications
Select Option Price
5222-025 $650.00
14k White Gold (approx. 0.25ctw)
5222-030 $750.00
14k White Gold (approx. 0.30ctw)
5222-050 $1,195.00
14k White Gold (approx. 0.50ctw)
5222-075 $1,550.00

14k White Gold (approx. 0.75ctw)
5222-100 $2,195.00
14k White Gold (approx. 1.00ctw)
5222-125 $3,150.00
14k White Gold (approx. 1.25ctw)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...when I went back and looked at the site, I'm convinced that the $1550 corresponds to the 0.75, but you could always give them a call. I think the prices are above the carat weights on your list, rather than below.

ETA: Yes, I'm positive now...the item number that corresponds to $1550 is 5222-075, meaning 0.75 ctw.

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
Ohhh!! Thank you!!

*You're right, I just called them! They are going to get back with me as to the price for doing it in yellow gold. They said the prong part might have to be in white gold or platinum and the rest in yellow gold- I said, platinum is out of my price range, and I don't want white gold (no replating business, nah) so they will see what can be done with yellow gold/platinum.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 3:29:08 PM
Author: Lilorfnannie
Ohhh!! Thank you!!

*You''re right, I just called them! They are going to get back with me as to the price for doing it in yellow gold. They said the prong part might have to be in white gold or platinum and the rest in yellow gold- I said, platinum is out of my price range, and I don''t want white gold (no replating business, nah) so they will see what can be done with yellow gold/platinum.

hi lilorfnannie :)

if you have a ring made in yellow gold, it''s common to have the prongs in white gold or platinum. now before you shake your head...white gold prongs dont get replated. whole white gold rings do - tho many people (like me) just leave them and plenty of people have whole rings from NON plated white gold. but when it''s just a case of prongs, people dont bother - you can''t tell the difference - and in fact, i dont think they''re generally plated in the first place. unplated white gold is still a ''white'' metal, and the reason you''ll want prongs from a white metal is because it makes the stones look WAY whiter and cleaner. when you have yellow gold prongs the stone often picks up the color of the metal and doesn''t sparkle as much. so please dont be concerned about having white gold prongs - you won''t need to do any maintenance on them, and they''ll look much better than yellow gold.

and here''s a beautiful ring from Facets (a company well respected on this site and which i have worked with MANY times):

http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=2488&show_metal=18K%20Yellow%20Gold

remember that this price is for platinum; the price in gold is about $200 LESS.

i have one of Facets sapphire and diamond bands, and it''s spectacular.

give it some thought and good luck!

:) :) :)

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
That is a pretty ring :) *sigh* my budget is $1500 though, not $2000. And they don''t even have my size listed, it would cost extra to size it up. Seinfeld would hate me- I have "man hands"-
20.gif

Whiteflash quoted me $1900 to make the ring out of yellow gold, with white gold prongs. Still way over my budget.

This is the kind of thing that had me considering giving up diamonds altogether (with this budget) because I don''t really want teeny little cheap ones- I was thinking of this ring as an alternative, $1595:

http://applesofgold.com/PL-M.html

WED-MC.jpg

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
You know what I would like? That sapphire ring there- only done in yellow gold, with pale pink sapphires. That would be so girly and pretty, in my opinion. I looked and looked and never saw one like that, though. They have some eternity bands but I don't want an eternity band, I want to be able to resize it without a lot of hassle.

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
Although- once you have a yellow gold band with diamonds & pink sapphires, I don''t think it''s a WEDDING band any more, haha!

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
Not exactly wedding band or even engagement ring material, I'm afraid
28.gif
Even though I like it!
36.gif

41nnj2QMCtL._SS400_.jpg

Lilorfnannie

Rough_Rock
O.k.- I''ll for sure look at them! Thank you!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider an antique ring? Here''s one in platinum -- .85 ctw within your price range

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-86ct-DIAMOND-5-STONE-PLATINUM-RING-1950_W0QQitemZ160318463325QQihZ006QQcategoryZ165044QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results