shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, please! Your advice and opinions needed

missjuliajoy

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone, I'm Julia and I'm new =) Well, to be honest I've been lurking for quite a while, and have learned so much from you all! I'm so glad I found such a great source of unbiased information.

My boyfriend and I are getting close to buying a center diamond for my engagement ring. The setting will be a 4-prong variation on this setting from Whiteflash: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/3-stone-butterflies-diamond-engagement-ring-230.htm We are having it made by a local jeweler that we have found to be trustworthy.

Our budget for the center diamond is around $3,000ish, and we just want it to be eye-clean, appear colorless when mounted, and be as sparkly and brilliant as possible! What we've found in our price range has been H-I-J color, VS1-VS2, and between .75-.83 carats. Here are the two best options (I think) that we've found:

Diamond 1: .83, I color, VS1 clarity, excellent cut: http://www.b2cjewels.com/Images//Certificate//2522552.pdf

Diamond 2: .77, H color, VS1 clarity, excellent cut: http://www.b2cjewels.com/Images//Certificate//2484313.pdf

I thought I was all set on the .83 one, until I read here on pricescope that a feather inclusion is really just a nice word for a crack, and that without knowing where on the diamond it is located, it may affect the strength and durability of the diamond! Now I'm scared. Diamond #2 has no feather inclusions, so it's starting to seem like the better choice to me even though it's smaller and costs about $200 more.

So here are my many questions...Can you perceive the color difference between H and I? Will the difference between .77 and .83 even be noticeable? (the difference in the diameters is about a tenth of a millimeter) and is avoiding the feather inclusion a good idea? Are these diamonds well-proportioned? They are both 'excellent' cut, but I've read that they can still be too shallow or too deep.

Thank you SO much for your help! This is the only unbiased place I know of where I can get honest answers to these questions!

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
enter the stone values into the HCA to get some additional information. These are gotten off the certificates each of these stones should have. The lower the number the better the stone is likely to be and more within given criteria. Check thru the trusted vendors and try the diamond search thru pricescope and use some of the other e-tailers for additional diamonds that fit your budget. inclusions are alot like real estate............... location, location, location! :D

I found you a stone I think might be to your liking, hope you dont mind I did a search. BTW, twinning whisps are a more favorable inclusion.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2737430.htm

missjuliajoy

Rough_Rock
Ravinmad-

Thanks so much for your advice and for doing a search for me! I did run the HCA on both of the stones we were considering, and both were under 2 which was great! We actually gave up on the .83 I VS1 because it was from B2C jewels and I was unhappy with their customer service...they were a bit snotty when I asked if they would provide an idealscope image or if they give a pricescope discount like james allen and whiteflash do. So I have the .79 stone on hold! Very exciting!

I should be getting the idealscope image for the .79 H SI1 anytime now! I'll definitely post it on here because everyone is so knowledgable and I really need the help :)

missjuliajoy

Rough_Rock
Oops, I just realized that the diamond we're pretty sure on wasn't even one of the ones I originally posted about! Can you tell we've been sifting through LOTS of stones? :loopy:

Here are the specs on what I think we'll be purchasing...

.79 H color, SI1 clarity (on james allen so I've seen the actual picture of it)

5.94 x 5.97, polish and symmetry both excellent

depth: 61.7
table: 56
crown angle: 34.5
pavillion angle: 40.8

= 1.3 HCA, all excellent except for spread...which worries me a little, as I would like it to look as big as possible haha!

What do you think of this one?

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
I think that if the score is great, the idealscope image and photo look good, and you are happy... Then enough said!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results