shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP PLEASE, Why old dates on GIA cert and Sarin??...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Giangi, Mara, F & I, everyone.... I need help guys,

As you know I have been receiving certs and sarins on several 3 ct. round H color SI1 stones. I noticed that one of them has a GIA cert dated 8/15/01 and a Sarin dated 1/23/02. Can it be that this stone has been hanging out for over 2 years ???? Most of the stones I have been considering have certs dated as recently as 9/28/03.
What''s up with that?????
WHy would a diamond be around for so long??? According to several sources, alot of 3+ ct. stones have been sold in the last month so why is this stone so old????? I know a diamond is forever...but why would this have such old papers. I need advice soon. Please educate me. Thanks

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This question has at least two good answers. Maybe no one ever asked for it or maybe it has only been shown a few times. The other answer is that something is wrong with it. Maybe it just lays there instead of getting up and dancing like it should. An SI1 may have a visible flaw.
Last week I thought I had a great G-VS2 cornered until I looked at the date on the GIA report. It was 5 years old!
I asked the dealer why that diamond was still in his stock. He was honest and told me "It has no life." I thanked him for being honest and ordered another diamond.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Dimonbob,

Thanks for the reply. You were lucky and the dealer was straight with you. If I ask the question, do you think I'll get one????The cert looks great and I have been told it is a very white stone with white inclusions, totally eyeclean, under the crown.

What do you mean by noone ever asked for it before???? Would this mean this has been sold and resold and the diamond has been in limbo for 2 years??? How would I know if this was worn before and resold??? This just adds another bit of concern for me in this whole process. Am I better off looking for a stone that has been recently graded???

When I look at this stone, will I know if something is not right??? Most places have certain lights that will even make a crumby diamond glow!!!
What questions should I ask.

I posted the cert and sarin info earlier and according to the comments I received back, the numbers were great and it was something I should look at. The only shortcoming on the sarin was the pav. depth was AGS 2. All other numbers were AGS 0.

I would appreciate your advice. Thank you.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Rich,

Why would a nice stone be traded about for 2 years??? Does that mean something might be wrong with it??? I can't believe a nice diamond could not find a home!!
Any specific questions I should ask the dealer?? Help, please. Thank you!

I just had a thought. I recently read that a local jeweler in my city (small city) was having a diamond sale. I know that when I went in to see them, they tried like crazy to sell me the diamonds they had in stock. Most were GIA. The prices were ridiculous so I did not buy anything. They claimed they would try and get some in but later told me that 3 ct . was very hard to find in my price range. Now I see they are having a sale. If jewelers hold onto their inventory for a long time and can't sell their stones, do they try and resell them to a wholesaler??? Could this be the case with an older diamond. Nothing wrong with it - just not in the right place at the right time??? Any thoughts??? Regards,

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Cindy, thanks for the reply.

Does the vendor need to tell me if a stone has been traded in?? Would't the stone show wear and tear??? Do they have to repolish the stone on a trade in??? I can hardly imagine what they would trade a 3.01 ct. H for!!! I think this size is condsidered the 2nd wife ring!!! (which I am), bigger or better , wow.... just think..

Cindy and all you experts out there, please continue to advise me. I am looking at this and a few others on Sat. and I want to be totally prepared. I need questions to ask and what exactly to look for. Help me please, for me it is a tremendous amount of $$$$ to spend. Thanks.
wavey.gif

smaggard

Rough_Rock
The stone I bought a few months ago also had an older cert. The GIA said 12/01 and the Sarin, BScope, etc. said 1/02 and I was concerned at first, but after talking to some people felt it wasn't a problem. Also had the stone sent to RockDoc to verify there wasn't a problem with the stone or anything. RockDoc and others told me, the bigger they are, the slower they sometimes move, and this stone was only 1.21, you're looking at 3+, let's face it, 3 carat stones aren't necessarily walking off the shelves.
1.gif

Good luck!

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Some diamond dealers have hundreds of diamonds in their
inventory (if not more for some)... do you really think
that they will be able to sell all of them in a matter
of weeks ? it's ain't possible. Also, before the
diamond reaches the retail market, it may take weeks
or months of trade between dealers... so don't be afraid.
Use this to your advantage and ask for a small discount.

Trichrome.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If a vase sits on the shelf in a store for a couple of years it does not mean anything is wrong with it. The right person needs to see it before it finds a home. A diamond is even more difficult. It does not sit in plain view of everyone. It is hidden is some vault and someone has to ask for it off of some huge list with others almost like it.

If you have a concern about this diamond that your eyes do not tell you, why don't you have it sent to Rich or D. Atlas and have them check it out for you.

Any diamond with old or new certificates could have been around, even worn, for years. The past history is not a concern to a diamond dealer or cutter. They tend to think in the present about the diamonds. How much will I have to pay for this diamond, how much can I get for it, what can I do to the diamond to improve it, will GIA grade it as a G or an H, VS2 or SI1???

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your helpful advice. Atleast I now know that it is not necessaraily a bad thing to have old certs - but could be. If this was a trade in or resale, would the dealer have it repolished ??? I guess I need to look at it first to see if it appeals to me. Next step is seeing if the stone matches the reports. On the other hand, a new cert doesn't mean the stone hasn't been around for years. It could just have been graded recently. Oh, so many things to ponder.

I am still interested in hearing more advice. Knowledge is power. Especially, please let me know the questions I should ask when viewing this and other stones. regards,

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Also, keep in mind that 3caraters are not that easy to sell so that could be a good reason. Furthermore, some dealers get a stone certified as soon as they get it, but put it for sale only when they have sold all their current stock of similar characteristics.
Also... I wouldn't call a 2001 or 2002 cert very old... If it were from the nineties, maybe!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/15/2003 10:07:50 AM stephcola wrote:

Thank you all for your helpful advice. Atleast I now know that it is not necessaraily a bad thing to have old certs - but could be. ---

Yep, in a nutshell. Do a visual & if the stone speaks to you then sent it to an independent appraiser. This will set your mind at ease. Remember, don't be pressured into buying something you are just settling on. As I said before, the process can take quite some time before the "one" comes along.

Good luck. Also, make sure you view the diamond in all different lights including direct & indirect sunlight & incandecent lights. When I was viewing, I also asked the stone to cut off all the lights. It's not an unreasonable request if you are a serious buyer.

Dones

Rough_Rock
Cindy,

I'm sorry to jump in on this conversation with a new angle, but I need some help and it appears you may know. Can I get an uncertified stone GIA certified? What is the process?

Thanks-

Dr. Dones

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steph--

I wouldn't worry about the cert too much. Our stone we bought in Jan of this year and the cert was from Nov 2001. At first I thought it was odd too but it checked out with the appraiser and we loved the stone, so that was all that matters. I would not freak out before you have more information...and before you even see the stone.

Secondly, IMO the larger stones will be harder to find and maybe harder for jewelers to move than say a typical G VS 1c stone..I'm not in the trade but just surfing around on the websites, its harder to find the larger stones like this that are even remotely well cut. Who really knows what happened to this stone before, it does not matter if it was a re-sale or trade up (and I don't think that 3c is the 'second wife size'...people may trade up from a stone that size), the stone would not necessarily show 'wear and tear' but again, an independent appraiser would help you figure these things out when you find a stone you like.

Mr. Dones--

To get a stone certed by GIA, send it to them. They will cert it and send it back to you. I think the entire process takes maybe a month or two? You'd have to pay..something like $200 or $300 I think.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Thank again everyone. I do feel alittle better now and I am looking forward to viewing it and others on Sat. I will let you know how it turns out! Regards

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results