shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please...shipping eternity ring from Hong Kong back to La for repair

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any insight or advice for shipping an eternity ring from Hong Kong back to LA for repair.
Can anyone share any info on how I get it back correctly without being slugged any more on top of the cost of shipping/insurance
The ring is worth about $17K US so I'm worried that I'm going to be hit with taxes/customs etc when sending it back over.
FYI.... In the time I've had the ring I've lost 3 x .33ct stones (which luckily, i've found each time). I've had them reset each time at my expense but now a third one has fallen out and so I think the ring needs to be remade, which is why I'd like to send it back rather than having it remade at my expense here in HK.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure how tax works in Hong Kong, but in the U.K. I’m sure there’s repairs paperwork from the tax authority that you fill out so that the item is not taxed again if it’s only leaving the country for repairs. Have you searched online with the Hong Kong tax authority to see if there’s a similar exemption?

From a shipping perspective, the original vendor may be able to send you a label for their shipping account so that the item is fully insured in transit.

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
I’m not sure how tax works in Hong Kong, but in the U.K. I’m sure there’s repairs paperwork from the tax authority that you fill out so that the item is not taxed again if it’s only leaving the country for repairs. Have you searched online with the Hong Kong tax authority to see if there’s a similar exemption?

From a shipping perspective, the original vendor may be able to send you a label for their shipping account so that the item is fully insured in transit.

Thanks for this advice, I'm going to approach a shipping company here in HK and see if they can advise as well on the paperwork needed.
We are expats and so it didn't matter where I bought the ring, I was likely going to have to deal with this situation at some time

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results