shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Please - Real or Fake

sweetpea13

Rough_Rock
I just bought this 3 strand "pearl" necklace for $30AUD and I am no pearl expert. They are stunning even if they do end up being fake although they do need a good clean
but I do not want to clean them until I know if they are real or fake.

I did a little bit of google searching to see if I could identify myself if they are real or fake but I am still unsure as from everything I have read the fakes can look and feel quite genuine. They are cold to touch and do have a decent weight to them, when I do rub two lightly together they do produce a fine powder and they are gritty against my teeth.

I have tried to capture pics as best as I can. The clasp has a mark on the back "STERLING GERMANY" and appears to have marcasites on the front. Shortest strand is approximately 45cm long and have shown size of the graduated "pearls" in pics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0017 (2).JPG IMG_0018 (2).JPG IMG_0019 (2).JPG IMG_0021 (2).JPG IMG_0020 (2).JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0030 (2).JPG IMG_0031 (2).JPG IMG_0016.JPG

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I am only a novice pearl owner but they look like real pearls to me. When I looked at the first pic with the ruler under magnification I can see the surface of the pearls have little tiny wrinkles in their skin & little "pimples". Up close under magnification they appear to have a lovely lustre to them. They look to be round so maybe Akoya salt water pearls? Someone with a ton of experience will be along to advise you=)2

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
they are very pretty and that’s a good buy!
If they are “gritty” when gently rubbed against a tooth they are likely cultured pearls.
To clean them, put a tiny dab of liquid soap into some warm water and use a soft toothbrush slightly wet with a mixture to scrub each Pearl. Don’t let the cord get wet, that can make it rot and break. Use a soft cloth to dry them thoroughly.
the clasp can be polished using a silver cloth (it’s a cloth impregnated with polishing compound).

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Pretty and a bargain at the price!

I have pearls but I’m not an expert. Others would know more than I.
Enjoy!

sweetpea13

Rough_Rock
I am only a novice pearl owner but they look like real pearls to me. When I looked at the first pic with the ruler under magnification I can see the surface of the pearls have little tiny wrinkles in their skin & little "pimples". Up close under magnification they appear to have a lovely lustre to them. They look to be round so maybe Akoya salt water pearls? Someone with a ton of experience will be along to advise you=)2

Thank you for your answer and help. They are stunning and do have a beautiful lustre

sweetpea13

Rough_Rock
they are very pretty and that’s a good buy!
If they are “gritty” when gently rubbed against a tooth they are likely cultured pearls.
To clean them, put a tiny dab of liquid soap into some warm water and use a soft toothbrush slightly wet with a mixture to scrub each Pearl. Don’t let the cord get wet, that can make it rot and break. Use a soft cloth to dry them thoroughly.
the clasp can be polished using a silver cloth (it’s a cloth impregnated with polishing compound).
Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it and the help with cleaning. I am planning on giving them some love this weekend with a clean so I can wear to a friends 50th the photos don’t do them justice.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty vintage Akoyas. I love how the person who created this necklace graduated the pearls so that the strands compliment each other. As pretty as it is, it will look even prettier with brighter luster after a pearl bath.

sweetpea13

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your answer! How do I do a pearl bath please? I am a novice :)
Very pretty vintage Akoyas. I love how the person who created this necklace graduated the pearls so that the strands compliment each other. As pretty as it is, it will look even prettier with brighter luster after a pearl bath.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your answer! How do I do a pearl bath please? I am a novice :)

It is safer to wash each pearl individually......

I might be more careless in getting the thread wet then others, but I take a bit of baby shampoo and warm water in a bowl, gently swish the pearls around in them for a bit,and then run them under water to rinse. I then lay them flat on a towel to dry for 24 hours.

sweetpea13

Rough_Rock
It is safer to wash each pearl individually......

I might be more careless in getting the thread wet then others, but I take a bit of baby shampoo and warm water in a bowl, gently swish the pearls around in them for a bit,and then run them under water to rinse. I then lay them flat on a towel to dry for 24 hours.

Thank you I appreciate your help

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just bought this 3 strand "pearl" necklace for $30AUD and I am no pearl expert. They are stunning even if they do end up being fake although they do need a good clean
but I do not want to clean them until I know if they are real or fake.

I did a little bit of google searching to see if I could identify myself if they are real or fake but I am still unsure as from everything I have read the fakes can look and feel quite genuine. They are cold to touch and do have a decent weight to them, when I do rub two lightly together they do produce a fine powder and they are gritty against my teeth.

I have tried to capture pics as best as I can. The clasp has a mark on the back "STERLING GERMANY" and appears to have marcasites on the front. Shortest strand is approximately 45cm long and have shown size of the graduated "pearls" in pics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0017 (2).JPG IMG_0018 (2).JPG IMG_0019 (2).JPG IMG_0021 (2).JPG IMG_0020 (2).JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0030 (2).JPG IMG_0031 (2).JPG IMG_0016.JPG

Oh they are just lovelly
$60 Aussie sounds a great buy
They are going to love their bath in time for the party this weekend

I wonder how long since they last went to a party ?
I hope you wear them lots and lots and make each other very happy

If the cord appears a bit stretched after their bath - don't panic, as pearls that are lucky enough to be warn lots need restringing every one or two years
If you don't want to do it yourself, don't panic
it isnt exspensive maintenance and someone in your town will be an expert at it

sweetpea13

Rough_Rock
Oh they are just lovelly
$60 Aussie sounds a great buy
They are going to love their bath in time for the party this weekend

I wonder how long since they last went to a party ?
I hope you wear them lots and lots and make each other very happy

If the cord appears a bit stretched after their bath - don't panic, as pearls that are lucky enough to be warn lots need restringing every one or two years
If you don't want to do it yourself, don't panic
it isnt exspensive maintenance and someone in your town will be an expert at it

They are stunning, photos don't do them justice and they will definately look even better after a bath xx

Too long since their last party I think and they have and will make me so happy. I keep staring at them every chance I get and can't wait to bath them and wear them and give them the love they deserve!!

Thank you for all your help xx

klrrrr

Shiny_Rock
What a find! They look spectacular on you.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
So beautiful! Enjoy the pearls and party

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results