shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please on this Ebay Verdelite Tourmaline ring.. thanks!

Rubies-R-Me

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 8, 2011
Messages
1,837
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120747756395&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I have the strangest story about this ring and it's matching earrings..
I was in Las Vegas last week on vacation and since I love estate jewelry I went into a few pawn shops to look at what they had. I saw this ring and earring set! I'm sure it's the same one.. the ring is a size 4 (which is my size) and that's so unusual. The prices they had marked were $3000 for the ring and $2000 for the earrings. I looked but since I knew nothing about the type of stones (even whether they were real or not) I didn't buy. 2 weeks later they both show up on Ebay! How funny is that? What is the most I should pay for the ring and the earrings? I don't know the value of colored stones at all so I really appreciate the help.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
24,123
Re: Help please on this Ebay Verdelite Tourmaline ring.. tha

sleep7|1310412189|2966639 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120747756395&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I have the strangest story about this ring and it's matching earrings..
I was in Las Vegas last week on vacation and since I love estate jewelry I went into a few pawn shops to look at what they had. I saw this ring and earring set! I'm sure it's the same one.. the ring is a size 4 (which is my size) and that's so unusual. The prices they had marked were $3000 for the ring and $2000 for the earrings. I looked but since I knew nothing about the type of stones (even whether they were real or not) I didn't buy. 2 weeks later they both show up on Ebay! How funny is that? What is the most I should pay for the ring and the earrings? I don't know the value of colored stones at all so I really appreciate the help.

Blue and blue/green tourmaline, even very dark material, has risen in value quite a bit because of all the paraiba tourmaline hype. Honestly, I don't think dark, extinct indicolite or verdelite, with a lot of grey, such as the stone shown in the ebay listing, is worth the prices being asked. I suspect much of the price for the ring are in the setting.

It's also being shown against a dark background to make the color look brighter. It's a very mediocre stone IMHO. It also has a closed c-axis which is apparent in the video. While I think $3K is a fair retail price for the ring, I just don't like it that much. :knockout: If you like it, see if you can win it for a low bid.
 

Rubies-R-Me

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 8, 2011
Messages
1,837
Re: Help please on this Ebay Verdelite Tourmaline ring.. tha

Now I know why I love this website and it's forums! Thanks for the info on the stone.. I really knew nothing about it. If I do decide to bid on it.. what do you think the maximum price is where it's still a "good buy?'
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
24,123
Re: Help please on this Ebay Verdelite Tourmaline ring.. tha

Actually now that I know the setting is 12 grams of platinum with slightly under one carat of diamonds, than $3K is a fair retail price for the setting, and think of the stone for free. I don't like the stone, but I would see if I could get a deal on this at $1500, $2K tops. :naughty:

You may like the stone though, and it might be worth it to you to get it for more. It's got a lot of bids on it already and 8 days left, so I suspect it will end up high. I personally wouldn't go over $1500 for it, and that's because I think like a pawn shop owner. LOL!

ETA: The Smithsonian comment the seller made in the listing made me chuckle. :rolleyes:
 

Rubies-R-Me

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 8, 2011
Messages
1,837
Re: Help please on this Ebay Verdelite Tourmaline ring.. tha

Thanks TL! I was looking for "what to spend" guidelines and you were kind enough to give me your opinion.. I appreciate that.
I thought the stone in person was actually very pretty.. a really clear and deep green/blue. I agree with you that the set will go up a lot in price from where it is. There is an awful lot of interest in it for sure. I need the ring and earring set like a "hole in the head" so I'm going to pass on it. Thanks again..
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
24,123
Re: Help please on this Ebay Verdelite Tourmaline ring.. tha

sleep7|1310413985|2966665 said:
Thanks TL! I was looking for "what to spend" guidelines and you were kind enough to give me your opinion.. I appreciate that.
I thought the stone in person was actually very pretty.. a really clear and deep green/blue. I agree with you that the set will go up a lot in price from where it is. There is an awful lot of interest in it for sure. I need the ring and earring set like a "hole in the head" so I'm going to pass on it. Thanks again..

Most people would think it's really pretty, unless you've been collecting for years. I used to think that color was pretty too. Sorry, just not a fan as I've seen beautiful blue green tourmaline that puts that to shame. However, if YOU like it, then don't listen to me. ;))
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
24,614
Re: Help please on this Ebay Verdelite Tourmaline ring.. tha

TL|1310415760|2966690 said:
sleep7|1310413985|2966665 said:
Thanks TL! I was looking for "what to spend" guidelines and you were kind enough to give me your opinion.. I appreciate that.
I thought the stone in person was actually very pretty.. a really clear and deep green/blue. I agree with you that the set will go up a lot in price from where it is. There is an awful lot of interest in it for sure. I need the ring and earring set like a "hole in the head" so I'm going to pass on it. Thanks again..

Most people would think it's really pretty, unless you've been collecting for years. I used to think that color was pretty too. Sorry, just not a fan as I've seen beautiful blue green tourmaline that puts that to shame. However, if YOU like it, then don't listen to me. ;))
:wavey: I'm one of those people that think its really pretty (but I'm not a CS collector).
 

Rubies-R-Me

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 8, 2011
Messages
1,837
Re: Help please on this Ebay Verdelite Tourmaline ring.. tha

Did you see the matching earrings? It's such a nice set! Too fancy for me to wear to the supermarket though..and that's what I do most days! LOL
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    A Diva Got Her Diamond: Kristen Chenoweth is Engaged!
    A Diva Got Her Diamond: Kristen Chenoweth is Engaged! - 12/03
    December Birthstones 2021 - Zircon, Turquoise, and Tanzanite
    December Birthstones 2021 - Zircon, Turquoise, and Tanzanite - 12/01
    "Not so Fast!" says Mother Nature
    "Not so Fast!" says Mother Nature - 11/29
Top