shape
carat
color
clarity

help please! Martini setting for already-stretched ear piercing?

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all - I've been searching for answers as to how the martini earring setting might do for my already stretched ear piercing (thanks to gigantic 1980's/90's hoops/heavy earrings). Does anyone have this issue and own martini studs? I'm looking to purchase 5mm / ~ 1ctw studs that are on sale today only and was planning on going with martini setting, but now having second thoughts after reading people saying the setting stretched their ears. I'm concerned they might get swallowed in mine since they're already stretched? I love the look of the 3 prongs, love the description of the round stone floating on the ear and the setting nestling in and not sticking forward out from the ear. There is a 3 prong basket setting option available as well that kind of has the martini appearance which I might have to go with... and I actually was able to pick up a pair of cz 3-prong basket setting studs from Nordstrom yesterday to test, and they are sticking pretty darn close to my earlobe which I like. But in one photo I can still see the basket and I am still curious about the martini. Would jumbo backs solve my concern ? or should I just forget it and go with the basket? At this size maybe there is hardly a visible difference between the basket and martini.

I already asked the seller if I needed to exchange the martini for a basket setting, would I be able to get today's sale price - nope. So I need to get this right at the start.

Thanks!!!

Attaching pics of the Nordstrom tester earrings - 3 prong basket setting with 5mm stones. First pic is before I adjusted and tightened the backing, you can see how the stud slides down to the bottom of my stretched piercing if I can't get it secured properly.. 3rd pic the earring has been repositioned and tightened, and you can see the basket somewhat against the earlobe. Last 2 pics show the settings from the seller

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 12.08.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 12.09.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 12.08.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 12.19.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 12.20.16 PM.png

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say a basket is better. If you get the martinis, maybe try those backs I see on TV to lift earrings up. Martinis might keep stretching the hole out more.

As an aside, when I had Brian Gavin make me his cushion jackets, I had to reset my martinis into a basket anyway. So martini was my first choice, but I ended up with baskets anyway (which is great, no big deal, but like you I had been attracted to the martini setting).

652A96B6-1066-46F5-815E-A8640DE12AC3.jpeg 0CEEF689-A973-43C9-BFF2-1EE0DF5C1DF5.jpeg

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I have martini they are 2.40 total carat weight they havent stretched my ears and I love them. They lay flat on my ears. I do not care for baskets they stick out from my ears. 786656

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
When I see posts about stretched ear piercings, I always want to mention that if someone cared to, earlobe repair is a minor procedure they could have done in a doctor's office. It might sound a bit drastic but just to toss the idea out there...

Last edited:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My 1ct tw studs are in 3 prong martini settings. I already had slightly stretched ear holes when I got them, but I haven't noticed that they've stretched any more. I've worn the studs almost daily for over a decade. I wear them with oversized backs and I think that really helps give my ears some support.

The 80's and 90's were so much fun but were really hard on my body, ears included.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
When I see posts about stretched ear piercings, I always want to mention that if someone cared to, earlobe repair is a minor procedure they could have done in a doctor's office. It might sound a bit drastic but just to toss the idea out there...

Have you ever had it done? I went in for a consult because my ears are badly stretched & the plastic surgeon didn’t think it was worth it for me. He said scar tissue would be an issue.

diamondsndogs

Rough_Rock

Absolutely...my sister, who was a big fan of heavy earrings when she was younger that stretched her piercings out had it done. No big deal....

I also actually ripped an earring through my entire earlobe when I was younger (big heavy hoops, went off a diving board and stuck a finger through the hoop as I threw my arms forward while diving. Plastic surgeon in the ER put it back together and you would never know...

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely...my sister, who was a big fan of heavy earrings when she was younger that stretched her piercings out had it done. No big deal....

I also actually ripped an earring through my entire earlobe when I was younger (big heavy hoops, went off a diving board and stuck a finger through the hoop as I threw my arms forward while diving. Plastic surgeon in the ER put it back together and you would never know...

:eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2: This is literally one of my worst nightmares! And gauges completely freak me out! Between that phobia and my previous allergy to nearly all earrings (which has since mysteriously cured itself), my ear holes are super tiny despite being a child of the eighties. Otherwise I’m certain I’d have serious ear hole problems.

OP, if I were you I’d definitely look into a repair procedure. I’ve heard it has a very high success rate and is super simple.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Update: This is probably a rare concern, but for anyone else who might be wondering about this someday - the martini style works just fine with already stretched piercings! Instead of listening to those here who responded that they have them and don't have issues, I had to learn the hard way through ordering and returning, restock fees and shipping costs :doh:They don't slide down even with regular little backs, no drooping, no slipping through, and I don't feel them at all. I purchased a 6-prong crown and then a 3-prong basket style like my photos, but couldn't get the martini style out of my mind so I returned them. I ended up resetting slightly smaller than I thought I wanted ~4.5mm/.74 ctw diamonds from my grandmother's earrings that I never wore. It took me a while but finally I made a great decision. I absolutely love them!

CathB

Rough_Rock
Update: This is probably a rare concern, but for anyone else who might be wondering about this someday - the martini style works just fine with already stretched piercings! Instead of listening to those here who responded that they have them and don't have issues, I had to learn the hard way through ordering and returning, restock fees and shipping costs :doh:They don't slide down even with regular little backs, no drooping, no slipping through, and I don't feel them at all. I purchased a 6-prong crown and then a 3-prong basket style like my photos, but couldn't get the martini style out of my mind so I returned them. I ended up resetting slightly smaller than I thought I wanted ~4.5mm/.74 ctw diamonds from my grandmother's earrings that I never wore. It took me a while but finally I made a great decision. I absolutely love them!

Thank you so much for sharing this, it's EXACTLY the information I am looking for. =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results