shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP, PLEASE! ideal cut vs. stone w/just good symmetry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
A question from a novice seeking to purchase a diamond. If given the choice of a stone H SI1 with ideal proportions but good symmetry and vg polish or a stone with 60/60 proportions and vg/vg which would be the better direction to go???? I am trying to get the angles, etc. I am not leaning in either direction but would like to know. In the size and budget I am in, I will most likely have to give some way. I know I need at least a (H) color and an SI1 GIA or AGS stone. Any comment???? I have been told that the cut is the most impt. reqt. but I have also been told that atleas VG symmetry is very impt. as well. What if I can''t have both????
rolleyes.gif

I know most of you lean towards the ideal cuts, hearts & arrows, etc. I would love one of these but I will not go down in size enough to get one. I am looking for 3+ ct round so the pickings are very slim. Any advice???
Thanks a million.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you have it narrowed down to those two diamonds ONLY and you are putting down as much money as you are for a 3ct+ diamond and you can't see both diamonds at once, I would have them both sent to Dave Atlas and tell him you want the best looking diamond. The vendor or vendors should not have a problem with that.

We don't have enough information to make that call. Most ideals look very good, but not all. Some 60/60 diamonds look great, but not all.

I am sure Dave would love to make that call for you.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The trick with a 60/60 is that the overall proportions rating could be as good as AGS-2 Very Good or as bad as an AGS-10 Very Poor... Get the proportions analysis and then you'll have an idea of what you're working with. Sending the diamond to Dave as DB suggests is a GREAT idea!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
If I were to buy a 3ct diamond(even non ideal), I'd like to get ALL possible tests... Sarin/OGI, brillianceScope, ideal scope and so on. After all it's your hard earned money and you deserve to get the best you can afford!

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your replies.

I haven't narrowed it down to those two stones, it is just that these are the types that are available without going down substantially in carat weight. I will try and get proportions but in the meantime I am still searching.
Without having the angles available at this time, would stone with 60.9D/54%T with good symmetry and VG polish be the better choice to look at first??? or the 60/60 with VG/VG????? Thanks for your help. Rgds.

I need to start somewhere!!! HELP

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
I am sorry I can't answer your questions, but I can share some info about my diamond if it helps ... I have a larger stone, and it has "good polish and symmetry", and it looks fantastic! Mine is a pear, but it looks great, and I wouldn't discount the stone because of "good" polish and symmetry -- my stone is a stunner and I've never heard that you have to have at least VG symmetry. It doesn't hold true for my stone, anyway.

I would defintely have both stones sent to me so I could see them in person, especially in your price range. My husband had seversal stones sent to him before choosing mine. Plus, I would order them both at the same time so you can compare them side by side.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a pic I took today up in NY where the conditions were cloudy. Clouday days are great for showing the feature of contrast brilliance/scintillation. Emphasis on fire is completely stripped away and optical symmetry appreciated most with an emphasis on white light return and contrast. I would not suggest sacrficing cut if possible, not for a diamond that will be with you the rest of your life.

Rhino

diffuselight.jpg

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
I would say that if you are getting such a big stone then you ought to stick to a vg make,
You have to take into consideration the diameter of the stone by comparing it to similar stones and also the depth, table, girdle, etc..
My ideal make is a 60/60 with the right Diameter,girdle thin-med.,polish and symm.at least vg-vg,flour.none-faint.
If you can be more specific, We might be able to help you more.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/12/2003 7:52:52 PM Rhino wrote:

Here is a pic I took today up in NY where the conditions were cloudy (...)with an emphasis on white light return and contrast. Rhino
----------------

Hi!

Sorry to bump in like this. I have been strugling with a certain Q for a while, and your pic brings it home nicely. So... Q: Is the 'contrast' delivered by diamond cuts the same optical effect which colord stone cutters refer to as 'extiction'? If not, what would you call this in a diamond?

Many thanks from a puzzled reader.
read.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Valeria,

As I generally have my nose in diamonds all day I'd have to research your "extiction" question further before I gave you any kind of solid answer.

Rhino

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks alot! I trully appreciate your interest and I am in no rush. If this helps at all, as far as I understand, 'extinction' describes the unfortunate even twhen many facets of a colored stone fail to return light so they apear very dark and devoided of color to the eye regardless of the color properties of the gem. The more transparent the material the worse extiction gets... For example, some garnets are a more saturated red than rubies are but they allow more extinction... and cost 10 times less.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
steph--your post just doesn't have enough info to have anyone give you real advice...the stones could be great..could be not. You need to get more info. I would never buy a 3c stone without angles or more information than what you have posted. You are spending a large amount of money, make sure that you shop smart....continue to educate yourself, read the tutorials, read posts on here...get into stores and see lots of stones. Have them show you a H&A stone against a typical ideal and then a typical ideal against a stone that would not be well-cut, make comparisons...you'll learn alot about what you are willing to settle for and what you absolutely require.

Good luck!

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Mara,

Not even close to a decision yet. I have much more information than I ever thought I would need to have. I am getting the Sarin reports on the 2 stones in question. I know what to look for ...I just need a totally eye clean H SI1 - 3+ ct that has a very good cut - and all in my price range. If its out there, I will find it. If anyone out there can find it, please let me know. Thanks to everyone for your good advice and support. Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results