shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please for a navy BM dress

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hi all! I''ve been asked to be in a friend''s bridal party for this coming August. The guidelines for our dresses (she''s not looking for matchy) is tea-length, navy, and not too formal (so a fabric like satin is out). The bride is probably wearing a J.Crew gown (Sabine or Erica were two that she pointed out).

This is my first time being a bridesmaid, and I''m really excited about it - my friend is really laid back and practical, so I''m guessing that will be her bridal style too. So - I figured finding the appropriate dress wouldn''t be too stressful since she seems really open about letting us pick our own styles and isn''t worried too much about different shades of navy. I started poking around online, and found that navy isn''t quite as common as I thought, but I wasn''t stressing too much yet.

And then I spent an hour on the phone last night with the matron of honor (who is a close friend) and she got me pretty riled up because she''s insisting that we all get J.Crew dresses. Great, but they only go up to size 16. I''m an 18 (and sometimes that depends on the cut of the dress).

Ideally, I''d like something that has a bit of an empire waist or fitted high waist and is flowy around the tummy area, and of course comes in a sz 18. But now I''m also worried because I''m trying to find something that is not more formal than the MoH''s dress or that will go well with the J.Crew shiny cotton style.

So - I think I need some help, and I know the brides and former brides here are the best in the world in terms of knowing where to find things! I''m hoping to pick your brains a little for some ideas. I''m thinking that if I can''t find something off the rack in the next month or two, my last resort is to have a dress made.

Here''s the two dresses that have been talked about so far:

Bride''s Dress - J.Crew Sabine

MoH''s Dress - J.Crew Erica

Sorry such a long post for a relatively simple question
14.gif
TIA!

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
What about chiffon? It''s a very light summery material and doesn''t have to be too formal. Does it have to be that brushed cotton? I think this is totally up to the bride and not the MOH!

I like Mori Lee 427 - I''m havign my sisters wear it for my wedding actually. They are both very well endowed up top, so my mission was to find something they could wear a bra with but not look like the mother of the bride. It''s really hard to find something young with straps these days in the bridesmaids selections!

morilee427.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, I love that! Thanks GP!

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
That dress is 164 on netbride.com. That includes shipping I think, and there are no taxes. Hope that helps!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don't know what your price range is (and I'm not sure what sizes are offered), but my girls are getting this dress from Priscilla of Boston:
http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?sfid=371

I love the blue it comes in because it's not a super dark navy and it's pretty universally flattering. It's made out of heavy cotton, so it's informal but will still keep it's shape. I
30.gif
it!

ETA: Look at the alternate picture listed, not the runway one, to get a better idea of the color. The color looks much lighter in the runway photos than in real life (and that belt thing isn't there in real life)

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
What about this dress, by Bari Jay?

382bg_black_black.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Awesome finds! I spent the entire afternoon shopping and found absolutely nada - it was really disheartening. I'm going to try a local bridal boutique tomorrow afternoon - they have the Mori Lee line, so I'm definitely going to check on that one first.

Here are two more that I liked, but I'm also worried that I need to be looking for a darker, truer navy because I'm pretty sure the J.Crew navy is really dark. That's the hardest part - so many of the dresses I like are offered in a shade called "Midnight" or one at Ann Taylor is "Evening Blue" so I keep on thinking "Is this navy? Or is this not navy?"

After Six BM dress - Midnight

Ann Taylor - Evening Blue

elrowhen - those dresses are GORGEOUS! I agree with you about being universally flattering. Unfortunately there aren't any PoB retailers anywhere near here
7.gif
- but that fabric is spot on and I love the cut, so I might road trip if nothing local works.

Re: Budget - I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.

OU - I really like that dress! Definitely looking into that. What is on that model's head, though!?!

Thanks so much for the ideas! Please keep 'em coming! :)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Yayyy! There is a Bari Jay retailer near me...that dress has REALLY been growing on me, OU!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I am glad you like it!! The boutique where I work carries Bari Jay and that dress is one of my FAVORITES! It looks really great on just about anyone!

And seriously, WTH is on her head?? She is wearing that thing in every single picture for every dress of their new line.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 8:03:58 PM
Author: Elmorton

OU - I really like that dress! Definitely looking into that. What is on that model''s head, though!?!
Her bouquet, I think...
3.gif
Must be the latest thing???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results