shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please. Do you know what is wrong with my pussycat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Lissy (she is in my avatar) is poorly and it is breaking my heart.

Symptoms:

Lost weight.
Won''t eat.
Drinks lots & lots.
Vomits if eats (but not eating now).
Her poo is strange. (Starts off as diarrhoea in what looks like raw egg whites, now is just like raw egg whites- no ''poo'' at all. She does lots of these little blobs around and wails as if it hurts her to poop.
39.gif
)
Much quieter than usual. When speaks wails and warbles as if saying "I''m sick, mommy".
39.gif

Wanted to sit in very very quiet place and be left alone.

Pussy cat:

Under 2 years old.
Neutered.
Best marmalade cat in the whole wide world.

Vet:

She went to the vet after Christmas. About 2 weeks ago now. When we saw that she was vomiting and not eating. She was doing those weird poo''s and wailing as if in pain. The vet gave her an injection and antibiotics for a week. He had no clue what was wrong with her but agreed she had lost lots of weight. [He wondered if she had an obstruction and felt for that but found nothing. We mentioned when she was a kitten we often had to take string etc off her as she wanted to eat it. Once or twice we found string in her poo as a kitten.] He suggested we give her the antibiotic and see if that sorts her out. We brought her home and did a day or two of the antibiotic but by then she was back to form
1.gif
. Eating like cray and running about. She was so active we forgot to continue her treatment (I know, I know I certainly regret it now). Well DH and I went out on Sat night and when we came home Lissey had vomited twice on the kitchen floor and done lots and lots and lots of the raw egg white looking poos. She was drinking lots but refused to eat come Sunday. I went to the vet on Monday and told them what happened. I asked for more antibiotics to start and finish her treatment now and the assistant gave it to me but suggested I bring her in if she was not eating. Well Tuesday is done and my beautiful Lissey has not eaten. I have tried: kibble, freshly cooked chicken, pro-biotic yogurt, warmed cat jelly pouch/gravy pouch/tuna..nothing. My baby is sick.

We are going to ring tomorrow and see what the vet tells us to do. I imagine that they will want to see her although the vet had no clue the last time...

Have you ever heard of this? Especially the raw egg white looking poo?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t had an animal experience this sort of thing before but I did a tad bit of googling for you.

I did find a list of animal parasites and the symptoms related to each. I came across one that says that diarhhea associated with it can contain mucus, which it sounds like your little kitty has. Its called Isospora but it does say it doesn''t affect adult cats.

My next guess would be bowel obstruction because of the fact that shes not passing anything solid and is vomiting a lot. I''d guess that whatever she does pass is bile or liquid as you''ve described.

Has your vet x-rayed your kitty? That might be a good idea to see if there is something going on with her intestines. My Charlie is a serial string eater and I''ve even pulled out 2''+ drawstrings out of his mouth that he had swallowed until the point of only about 6" sticking out. I''ve also found vomit of his that contained strings.

Good luck getting a good diagnosis. If antiobiotics (I believe they are prescribed for parasites as well) worked the first time then its possible that whatever she had didn''t get quite knocked out.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
an intestinal blockage is possible....definitely needs to be checked out, sooner rather than later. perhaps a different vet....

movie zombie

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for responding Clairitek,

I was hoping for opinions here as our vet seemed at a loss the first time.

I will go look up that Isospora now.

I have to wait to see what the vet suggests tomorrow - hopefully an x-ray. They have one in the surgery so she should not have to wait too long.

Thanks again.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Movie Zombie,

Thanks for replying,

I hope they will do an x-ray tomorrow. I worry about her so much.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Have him check for a urinary tract infection. That''s my guess, as kitty responded initially to antibiotics, which I don''t think would help an obstruction. Could also be parastites, does the cat go ouside?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 3:18:41 PM
Author: BizouMom
Have him check for a urinary tract infection. That''s my guess, as kitty responded initially to antibiotics, which I don''t think would help an obstruction. Could also be parastites, does the cat go ouside?
Will do, thanks for the tip BizouMom.

Yes we live ona large plot in rural Ireland and all our kitties are outside kitties.

C-tek - I cannot find anything on the internet. Could you possibly linky the site?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you considered a food intolerance/allergy? Lots of kitties (mine included) have trouble digesting fish and the preservatives/fillers that are in commercial cat food. Murphy's symptoms were similar, except he eventually started passing blood instead of stool. The vet tried antibiotics which worked for a little while, and we xray'd for blockages, but in the end it was the food that needed to be changed. We put him on a limited ingredients diet and he's done much better. His digestion can also be upset by overly rich food, so it's important that he only eat his special food.

I also want to note that he started developing symptoms around 1 year after being fed "good quality" wet cat food for his entire life.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd definitely get them to do an x-ray or ultrasound if they have the machine-it could be a blockage as the cat isn't eating or passing faeces. Maybe take her to another vet if you don't have any joy with your own vet. UCD also do an emergency clinic over night which I know is quite far away from where you are but just in case it gets worse in the night their number is 1890 564 036.

Steel

Ideal_Rock

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chances are if it is Giardia that they won''t be able to diagnose it for a few days as they''ll have to take a faecal sample and send it off to either UCD or one of the UK labs but they can still give you worm treatment anyway. I would still be concerned though with a blockage as normally with Giardia I''ve seen that they still have faeces, albeit a lot more mucousy and they can sometimes tend to have a greater appetite with Giardia.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 4:37:48 PM
Author: bee*
I''d definitely get them to do an x-ray or ultrasound if they have the machine-it could be a blockage as the cat isn''t eating or passing faeces. Maybe take her to another vet if you don''t have any joy with your own vet. UCD also do an emergency clinic over night which I know is quite far away from where you are but just in case it gets worse in the night their number is 1890 564 036.
Thanks a million Bee*

I hoped you would see this.

Will do. I am very happy with our vet. We have had 5 in the last few years and the current one is very good so far. Thank you for the telephone number too!

What do you think about the possibility of coccidia or giardia are they common over here?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 4:43:14 PM
Author: bee*
Chances are if it is Giardia that they won''t be able to diagnose it for a few days as they''ll have to take a faecal sample and send it off to either UCD or one of the UK labs but they can still give you worm treatment anyway. I would still be concerned though with a blockage as normally with Giardia I''ve seen that they still have faeces, albeit a lot more mucousy and they can sometimes tend to have a greater appetite with Giardia.
Our posts crossed.

Her poop is very stinky, ''mucousy'' or as I would call it raw egg whites. I did not see what she produced today as she scurried off to go loo behind the house when I let her out. But up to today it was clear and she still is going number 2, it is just like clear runny blobs.
When she started off it did have normal poo in it but not after day 2ish.
I will ring the vet and see if he wants her in tomorrow asap or if I should try to ''collect'' a sample first. From what I read the US vets hand out the medication even if they do not have a definitive diagnosis as it can be hard to track from just one sample.

I feel so sad, because she perked up the first time and is now sick again. She is a darling girl and does not deserve this - whatever it is.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 3:09:36 PM
Author: Steel
Movie Zombie,

Thanks for replying,

Don''t hope - insist. I would also do full blood panels. If not an intestinal blockage - my next guess would be liver or kidney function.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 5:03:45 PM
Author: LAJennifer

Date: 1/13/2009 3:09:36 PM
Movie Zombie,

Thanks for replying,

Don''t hope - insist. I would also do full blood panels. If not an intestinal blockage - my next guess would be liver or kidney function.
Thank you for replying LAJennifer,
I more meant that I hope they could fit her in tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
OMG OMG OMG OMG

She just ate a teeny bite of roast chicken breast. She is my good girl. This is her first food since Saturday/Sunday. I love her!

teapot

Shiny_Rock
I have little experience with cats, but my dog had similar symptoms when he had worms. He responded quite well to the Metronidazole the vet prescribed. good luck and I hope your kitty feels better soon.

teapot

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 5:24:00 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG

She just ate a teeny bite of roast chicken breast. She is my good girl. This is her first food since Saturday/Sunday. I love her!

That''s amazing news.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
our LaHonda girl has had a blocked intestine/bowel problem that required a lot of tests and an ex-ray. meds have to be specific. meds also have side effects. it took awhile for her to get back into the rythem of things. and a lot of $. but then, she''s also a manx kitty. personally, i wouldn''t allow a cat that is having the symptoms you''re saying to be outside for any reason. observation is a first key with a blockage.....or for any sick cat for that matter.

movie zombie

ps glad she ate a bit.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Teapot!

Movie Zombie, I regret letting her out today.

In my "justification" it was just to use the potty and I grabbed her straight after but I regret it anyway. You are right, it would be better if I knew what she was up to potty wise this afternoon.

She had been cuddled up in a huge dog crate since Sunday where I can see her and talk to her, I made a mistake letting her out
15.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto movie zombie - I''d be keeping her inside for observation and safety for now.

I''m glad she could manage some chicken.

Fingers and paws crossed at our house for a quick diagnosis and recovery.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
my guess would be a possible bowel obstruction based on what one of my cats has exhibited in the past. it''s very serious so insist that he get an xray asap. The only issue with the x-ray is that it won''t show things like string very clearly, but this could cause tears in the intestines if not taken care of. Look around at tassles on the curtains, fringe on your blanket, strings on clothes, cat toys, etc. (my little one at nearly three feet of a cat toy that we had in a cupboard. She likes to open cupboards. She also likes to eat string. Damn cat! Gotta love her).

I''m glad that your little one is at least able to eat a little of something, but definitely get the xray and also there is another test they can do if the xray shows nothing where the make him drink something and they check to see if it passes through the bowels. Insists on these things.

((((hug)))) God I love cats so much. I hope your little feels better. It''s such a hopeless feeling not being able to know what''s wrong.

golden

Shiny_Rock
aww I hope she is ok! lots of dust for your baby!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
A warning about Giardia- not sure if you read this on the site you found the information but humans can get that parasite too. In fact, my father has suffered from it TWICE. It causes rampant diarrhea in humans. Though I did read on some of the cat parasite websites that they aren''t sure if its the SAME kind of parasite that affects humans and cats or different varieties.

I suggest making sure you wash your hands a lot and do your best not to stick your fingers in your mouth (my father is a chronic nailbiter) so long as the kitty is sick.

I hope you figure this out soon! It does sound like this might be in though- especially with the weird white, mucusy feces.

Glad to see she ate something! Thats wonderful news.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for responding & for great advice cellosweet, golden & clairitek.

I rang the vet this morning and brought her at about 11. I explained everything and asked them to check her out for everything. They rang just before 3pm for us to pick her up. They had found nothing wrong with her at all. They scanned her - no obstruction. Blood work - nothing. Urine test - nothing. I can''t remember what else they did but they found nothing wrong with her. They gave her stronger antibiotics and sent her home.

So that was the bad news - they can''t say what is wrong with her. Just that it is an intestinal issue.

The good news is she is feeling better - And is EATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going back tomorrow to get more antibiotics for 2 weeks. They hope that this will sort her out.

I cannot speak highly enough about our vet & vet. nurse.

I hope this batch of antibiotics will fix Lissey.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Steel - I''m glad you got kitty thoroughly checked out, that should help give you more peace of mind.

I''d say just be extra-careful about finishing this course of antibiotics (otherwise whatever she has will get even worse again), and try to keep her inside and keep an eye on her while she recovers, in case anything else comes up.

Fingers crossed for a continued recovery for Lissey.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
AmberGretchen,

I promise to finish her course this time. I am berating myself for not finishing her last course.
38.gif

Thanks for the good vibes!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Steel, sorry for not replying last night-I''m doing my large animal work experience so my connection comes and goes where I am. Glad that they ran all the tests on her and that they found nothing. I hope that she continues to improve.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/14/2009 2:53:09 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Steel - I''m glad you got kitty thoroughly checked out, that should help give you more peace of mind.

I''d say just be extra-careful about finishing this course of antibiotics (otherwise whatever she has will get even worse again), and try to keep her inside and keep an eye on her while she recovers, in case anything else comes up.

Fingers crossed for a continued recovery for Lissey.
I am late to this but ditto the above, that is crucial to make sure you finish the course to prevent a recurrence even if she seems as right as ninepence after only a couple of days!

I am so glad to hear she is doing better!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results