shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please , are these original Mikimoto pearls ?

JoannaK

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone ,

I'm very new here so I hope I posing my question in a proper place :)
I recently purchased a a pearl necklace and I was assured its a original vintage Mikimoto strand , however I did my research
and I noticed then original Mikimoto mark contain M in a clamshell my pearls has mark on claps but it just letter "M"and "Sterling"
Pearls come in a Mikimoto pouch and some documents

The pearls are nice looking . Cosists of 64 uniform beads which measure 6.25/6.35 diameter. Overall length is 460 mm and has an oval snap set with a cultured pearl

On documents the sale date is 1966

Thank you in advance for any help :)

Kindest Regards Joanna

20161022_100632.jpg 20161022_100753.jpg 20161022_100901.jpg 20161022_100327.jpg 20161022_100832.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I can't give you a definitive answer but I suspect it is a fake. This documentation has not been filled out for your sepecific strand and could have been sold with the strand or had been part of inventory of a jewelry store closing. Your seller could have filled in the 1966 portion himself. I have also heard of people selling strands of substandard pearls with a genuine Mikimoto clasp. Restringing is easy, fast and cheap.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Mikimoto-Guide-to-Identify-and-Buy-Mikimoto-Pearls_W0QQugidZ10000000002102630

Clasp: The Mikimoto clasp is engraved with the Mikimoto trademark, an outline of an Akoya oyster with the letter M inside. Also commonly referred to as the "M" in a clamshell or oystershell. Only Mikimoto uses this specific hallmark and has done so since they were first produced. No other marks have been used so be sure to look for this specific hallmark when purchasing Mikimoto pearl jewelry.

Source: Mikimoto America, brochures and personal interviews conducted with Mikimoto staff

Kaththee

Rough_Rock
Mikimoto has used other marks besides the shell with the M inside. I have a bracelet and necklace set that has a different hallmark of just an M stamped deeply. Often the higher end pieces will have the deeper M on them. I am guessing the various marks helps Mikimoto catalogue which pearls belong on which clasp or other findings. I have seen other marks on genuine pieces as well and I have seen the M in the clam shell done in various ways.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
NAAFI is the Navy, Army and Air Force supply company
BFPO is British Forces Post Office

Noakyem

Rough_Rock
Mikimoto has used other marks besides the shell with the M inside. I have a bracelet and necklace set that has a different hallmark of just an M stamped deeply. Often the higher end pieces will have the deeper M on them. I am guessing the various marks helps Mikimoto catalogue which pearls belong on which clasp or other findings. I have seen other marks on genuine pieces as well and I have seen the M in the clam shell done in various ways.

Do you have any examples to show. I have a brooch with pearls which has an engraved m no oyster box around it. I'm so new to this that o sometimes can't make out hallmarks at all.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have any examples to show. I have a brooch with pearls which has an engraved m no oyster box around it. I'm so new to this that o sometimes can't make out hallmarks at all.

Oh a brooch
we love brooches here
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
Start a new thread and show us your brooch please

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results