shape
carat
color
clarity

Help picking a RB diamond please.

Berecca

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I'm a complete newbie at this and after some help with choosing a RB diamond. I'm looking at approximately 1.7ct, H colour, SI1+ (as long as it's eye clean), Excellent/Ideal cut, no-faint fluorescence. I'd be very appreciative if anyone can have a look at the ones I've found and let me know if any are good choices, or recommend other diamonds if there are better options out there.

A. This one was the top choice of the JA agent: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...s1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-8401565?a_aid=ps

B. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...s2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-8665491?a_aid=ps

C. https://www.withclarity.com/diamonds/index/diamonddetail/id/8844724438/1.70-Round-H-VS2-Excellent

D. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

E. https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-1.66-carat-g-vs1-yd9401946 (no picture of this one unfortunately, however I've sent a request for it.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need to see the reports from the JA ones. But just by the pics I do not like any of them. Sorry :(

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? We can try to find better alternatives

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gia excellent:

Depth 60-62.3

Table 54-57

Pavilion 40.6 to 40.9

Crown 34-35

Try to stick with these parameters.

Then run all round brilliants through the HCA tool:

Toss all over 2. Under 2 isn’t automatically ruled in. It would be better if we had images to determine in or out when under 2.

What is your budget and would you like us to help you find some contenders?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, use the search engine here at pricescope at the top of the page.

Click on this:

Also, check mm sizes instead of carat weight because that is what you are really getting, the measurements.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I'm new at this, but I found this one and thought I would bring it to your attention. I like the looks of it, I think the numbers look good, it scores 1.5 on the HCA. It is a VS2 with an inclusion on the table so you would want to ensure it is eye clean. But it might be a good option.

Berecca

Rough_Rock
We need to see the reports from the JA ones. But just by the pics I do not like any of them. Sorry :(

Thanks lovedogs. I have requested the reports from JA but haven’t received them yet unfortunately.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm new at this, but I found this one and thought I would bring it to your attention. I like the looks of it, I think the numbers look good, it scores 1.5 on the HCA. It is a VS2 with an inclusion on the table so you would want to ensure it is eye clean. But it might be a good option.

Nice pick!

Berecca

Rough_Rock
What is your budget? We can try to find better alternatives

Yes please to finding better alternatives! My budget max is $13000. It seems that the JA recommendations are a bit questionable, so I'm glad I checked here first!

Berecca

Rough_Rock
Gia excellent:

Depth 60-62.3

Table 54-57

Pavilion 40.6 to 40.9

Crown 34-35

Try to stick with these parameters.

Then run all round brilliants through the HCA tool:

Toss all over 2. Under 2 isn’t automatically ruled in. It would be better if we had images to determine in or out when under 2.

What is your budget and would you like us to help you find some contenders?

Thank you so much for the info whitewave! I'm looking at a budget of $13000 and would love your recommendations :)

Berecca

Rough_Rock

[/URL]

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks like a great contender! I'll check with the BN agent about it being eye clean.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Thanks lovedogs. I have requested the reports from JA but haven’t received them yet unfortunately.

If you ask them for the report on live chat, they send it instantly :)

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Go with the one @Dancing Fire recommended! It's wonderful that you have been able to find options on alternative sites and @whitewave gave you excellent advice, but the HPD is a super ideal so the cut will be perfect (as in, perfect) and you'll have never seen as beautiful a modern round brilliant in your life.

crnamedic

Rough_Rock
100% agree with the Crafted by Infinity diamond offered by HPD. Their product and customer support is second to none. Wink and Layla are great to work with and make sure you are happy every step of the way.

crnamedic

Rough_Rock
Here are two videos showing at how well a CBI diamond is cut in your desired specs...

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I will just jump in and say that HPD gets a lot of raves here, but the stone is over budget, even with wire discount. If you don't plan to upgrade, the extra cost may not be worth it. If you will upgrade, HPD has a better upgrade policy.

Also, it would make sense to go to a store if you can and ask to see a CBI Diamond and compare it to a GIA ex/ex/ex with very similar specs to what is in your budget. You may find that you can't see a visible difference at all, so it may not make sense to get the HPD and go over budget. HPD has a huge following here, but you may or may not be able to appreciate the difference. I personally would not be able to do so.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elizat

Ideal_Rock
This missed the top tier grade at Whiteflash and I will let those that are skilled at modern round numbers weigh in, but this is also in budget at Whiteflash. It's part of their branded line. Has a larger table than is usually recommended, but putting it out for smarter folks to weigh in on as it's in budget and specs, with good upgrade program with a solid vendor.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Th i.p.ois missed the top tier grade at Whiteflash and I will let those that are skilled at modern round numbers weigh in, but this is also in budget at Whiteflash. It's part of their branded line. Has a larger table than is usually recommended, but putting it out for smarter folks to weigh in on as it's in budget and specs, with good upgrade program with a solid vendor.

I dont think itll be eye clean and I do not love the proportions. Edit. It's a 60/60 style which isn't my favorite, but it's not a bad one by any means

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
OP, it depends on whether you want to upgrade or not and whether you can appreciate super ideal cut or whether they all just look the same to you. If the latter, then Blue Nile and James Allen might give you a bigger bang for the bucks. Their upgrade policy is not the best. You have to spend twice as much for any upgrade so, if you buy a stone for $13,000, you will need to spend at least $26,000 for the next upgrade. Now, we all say that we do not need any upgrades but 10-15 years down the line, most of us do.

Otherwise, I suggest going with super ideal cut vendors knowing you got the best. Their upgrade policy is more customer-friendly. Spend $1 for an upgrade of any kind.

Is there a difference between GIA, XXX with perfect proportions and a super ideal? - yes. Can you appreciate the difference? - that is up to you. Plus, it takes time, patience, and some knowledge of diamonds to find a perfect XXX.

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I dont think itll be eye clean and I do not love the proportions. Edit. It's a 60/60 style which isn't my favorite, but it's not a bad one by any means

Yep. I think of the modern rounds, I actually prefer the 60/60 if well cut visually. I know that's different, but they are more appealing to me, usually. Couldn't say why.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Their upgrade policy is not the best. You have to spend twice as much for any upgrade so, if you buy a stone for $13,000, you will need to spend at least $26,000 for the next upgrade. Now, we all say that we do not need any upgrades but 10-15 years down the line, most of us do.
More like 10-15 months for most PSers... :lol:

Berecca

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate the advice everyone - what an amazing community PS is!

I LOVE the HPD diamond that @Dancing Fire recommended, but it is a bit more than I'd hoped to spend. In your expert opinions, would it be a good option to prioritise a super ideal cut and go down a colour grade to I? Will a super ideal cut mask the colour more than a triple ex cut? The diamond will be set in a white gold 6 prong setting with a thin pave band. This HPD I colour 1.65ct is available with higher VS1 clarity and slightly higher measurement specs (though I see it's currently on hold): https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10875

I'm sure that JA True Hearts is nowhere near as perfect as HPD, but as I don't plan on using the upgrade policy, what are your thoughts on this one if I were to go down a colour? https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-vs1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-6792153 AGS cert is attached.
JA True Hearts.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
On color, the grade is the grade. Some say a super ideal masks it, but there is a reason why the lab graded it an F or I, or whatever it is and when the lab gave it that grade, it was already cut that way. It may get a tiny bump visually, face on, from better cutting, but it is still whatever it is graded.

Did you see an I in person? Did the color bother you?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With any of the recommendations suggested, make sure you contact the vendor to put the stone on hold, including JA & Blue Nile (before posting). There are many lurkers that will snag the stones.

Here is one in your budget, a teeny tiny bit over but with wire, & no tax event, might help you out. If the sales tax promo isn't useful for you, ask them for better pricing. They just had back to back 10% off promo's for May & June. If you aren't planning on upgrading, & are prepared to buy from JA/BN, I would rather you try BGD as they cut super ideals as well. Contact them for information. Then post here of course. LOL

Also, what kind of ring are you looking for? I might have missed that if you mentioned it. We can help you with that too.

Edited to ad: noticed you said 6 prong thin pave ring.

Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I really appreciate the advice everyone - what an amazing community PS is!

I LOVE the HPD diamond that @Dancing Fire recommended, but it is a bit more than I'd hoped to spend. In your expert opinions, would it be a good option to prioritise a super ideal cut and go down a colour grade to I? Will a super ideal cut mask the colour more than a triple ex cut? The diamond will be set in a white gold 6 prong setting with a thin pave band. This HPD I colour 1.65ct is available with higher VS1 clarity and slightly higher measurement specs (though I see it's currently on hold): https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10875

I'm sure that JA True Hearts is nowhere near as perfect as HPD, but as I don't plan on using the upgrade policy, what are your thoughts on this one if I were to go down a colour? https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-vs1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-6792153 AGS cert is attached.
JA True Hearts.jpeg

I have HPD diamond in H color. Before seeing the stone, I swore I would neeeeever go below G. If anything can "mask" a color, it will be HPD diamond and its cut. However, it will still be an I. Whether you are comfortable with that, only you can decide.

PS: Never say never to an upgrade.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results